Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
most things in excess are wrong. Many things are neither good or evil in itself, but neutral. Believe gambling to be neutral. In using neutral things to ask is it a sin, one must ask what is the intent and what are the circumstances.
If gambling is used as a form of entertainment and I believe it can be, then that must be ok. If one is using every penny that should go to the household or even any money from a budget that should be going to something other than entertainment/fun, then we have a problem.

The lottery can hardly be called gambling as much as dreaming because the odds are horrible, it is a true sucker bet. But if we are talking about a single ticket, even playing every draw, then there are few budgets that I can think of that could not afford that for a little dreaming.
Aware some people spend thousands at a time on the lottery and we would question not only the act as being wrong but the rationality of putting so much on a sucker bet when it does not really improve your odds of winning ( you would have to spend millions to change the odds).

Does that help?

Upvote 0

icedtea

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2006
Ohio
✟30,909.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think its wrong. I've seen my father spend 500,000 over 30 years on tickets and now at his age he'll never own his home and will die with huge debt.
There are so many things better spent with the money and besides, are we not to expect God to provide?

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have played lottery and been part of the football and basketball pool. I do this for fun rather than greed. My motive have to be determined why I am playing (gambling). People have issues with gambling, drinking and other issues. This all boils down to a Christian's relationship with the Lord and people around that person. I Cor. 8:9, 13. As long as our conscience is clear and our heart is pure before God, don't be concerned with issues. 1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil

Are you gambling because you love money, need money and wanting to "WIN".

or

Are you gambling just for fun with your friends and co-workers?

This is between you and God.

Upvote 0

Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe that gambling is a sin in and of itself... BUT I recognise that very often we sin by gambling. If it becomes an obsession or an addiction; when it involves poor stewardship of time and/or money; when it compromises our focus and motivation etc... it's time to recognise that whether or not the act of gambling is sinful in itself, we're sinning nonetheless.

One of the biggest problems with things like gambling is it's subtle allure. For many it's a slow burn, a gradual development and too often we fail to recognise the sin of it until it's deeply rooted. As a general guide - I'd suggest that whether or not it's sinful, it's wiser to tread carefully and avoid it altogether if concerned.

Peace

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Gambling is a sin in and of itself.

Then Christians who has stocks are guilty of your legalistic definition of sin unless you have clear scripture proof that teaches that any forms of economic system can be sinful.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
[/COLOR][/FONT]

Correct me if I''m wrong, but being a successful investor involves more than mere chance.

Christians have no business investing money in games of pure chance. It's poor stewardship.

Economics themselves are "risks". Any form of transaction is a risk. Having a bank account is considered a risk. We all have stocks indirectly and directly. I recommend you study more about stewardship before you jump into conclusion that all forms of economic is gambling.

Upvote 0

mohawk

Be Not Afraid...
Jul 15, 2006
Central New York
✟8,536.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I used to play the New York State lottery twice a week, $1.00 each time. You have to match 6 numbers to win. THe last time I played, I was one number off of all 6 numbers...I figured that was as close as I would ever get and never played again. I'm glad that I only played for a little over a year and not for 25 years like I've seen some friends do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Someone spending $500000 over 30 years on lottery is averaging better than $300 a week on a sucker bet. Safe to say that is wrong is many ways unless you are Bill Gates maybe. Second thought, may not be a sin for him either but wrong because it is just wrong to spend that much on a sucker bet.

Upvote 0

Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gambling is a sin in and of itself.
Truth is - I'm a recovering gambling addict and understand better than anyone just how dangerous it is... BUT blanket statements like that just aren't supported in scripture and make for a very legalistic outlook. To insist that it's necessarily a sin is to create an extrabiblical rule, which in turn lead to extrabiblical interpretations of that rule. It gets really messy really quickly and the truth is - we don't need to go down that road at all. Scripture provides us with clear parameters anyway.

Peace

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,904.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
For myself, I simply consider the fact that for me to win a large sum of money, many many others have had to lose their own money. So whatever money I won would include the food and rent of many poor families and I would rather not have that on my conscience.

John

Upvote 0

Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For myself, I simply consider the fact that for me to win a large sum of money, many many others have had to lose their own money. So whatever money I won would include the food and rent of many poor families and I would rather not have that on my conscience.

John
Understood and generally agreed with... but you're addressing the issue within a specific context.

Within that context you might even be considered to be enabling the sin of those who do have problems. That in itself is problematic. There's lots of reasons for lots of examples of gambling to be sinful, but I have problems with a blanket understanding that gambling is a sin in and of itself.

When we conclude that gambling is sinful, apart from any particular scriptural understanding, we're then left with our new understanding as the foundation for further conclusions. Is it gambling to buy a $1 raffle ticket for your kids sports team? Is it gambling to enter a competition of chance that involves paying for a stamp or a phone call? Is it gambling to play poker with a few mates? Is it gambling if a bet is made in fun and the wager involves taking someone out to dinner or washing the car? Is it gambling to invest in stocks? Is it still considered gambling if you're playing a game of skill and money is involved? Is it still gambling if it's just for chips? Could business moves and investments be considered gambling?

Determining that gambling IS the sin means we need to make judgements on these sorts of actions and more. Now some of them may well be sinful, but not because they may be able to be defined as gambling... rather the sin is more apparent in our motivation and already apparent in scripture. Better than trying to ascertain if something is gambling. we should be questioning our hearts. Am I making a god of money? Am I being a good steward? Am I placing a stumbling block before others? Am I honouring God in my actions? etc... Whether or not your action constitutes a sin is better addressed in these sorts of issues than in any blanket prohibition and subsequent interpretations of that.

Peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

relspace

Mar 18, 2006
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟9,052.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know about it being a sin, but it sure is dumb. I caught onto the trick right away. No one stops when they win.

For some people it is just entertainment with the extra money they do not need. I don't see the attraction myself. But I cannot see it as being any more of a sin than watching these game shows on television. I don't see the attraction there either. What to think about all this obsession with money???

Upvote 0

IamAdopted

Nov 22, 2006
South Carolina
✟18,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Luke 16:11 is a wondeful verse which highlights some of the associated problems. Does it apply to skilled poker players who consistently win though?
This is what Jesus said so you answer your own question.. For it is better to give than to recieve.. :) Gambling is all about getting getting and getting isn't it? In fact it can become an obsession.. To get more and get more.. We are to put our riches into the kingdom.. For where your riches are that is where your heart is at..We are told not to love the world and all of its lusts.. For if we do the Love of the Father is not in us..

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom
[/COLOR][/FONT]

Correct me if I''m wrong, but being a successful investor involves more than mere chance.

So the one who makes the investment doesn't think its mere chance, but for the most time it still is....Ive known various people who invested this or that and lost a great deal of money....but at the time they did it they thought for sure it was almost guaranteed to be a success.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.