• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is it wise to take steps on my own?

• Thread starter healiheal242526
  • Start date
H

healiheal242526

I've been to all different kinds of 12 step meetings and I can never seem to fit in with the fellowship.

I have a bible and workbook called the "life recovery bible" and the 12 workbook that goes with it.

I was always told not to take steps on my own in all the 12 step groups I've been to, however my question is:

Would it be wise to go through the workbook on my own and take steps?

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

[I know plenty of Christians in AA, and we all work the Steps with our sponsors, because that is how the Big Book says it is to be done. I tried to work the steps alone, never completely made amends, and drank and had a horrific relapse.

If you are an alcoholic, you might not feel comfortable in AA at first. I was not comfortable for years. But, I am today. Pray and ask God to help you go to meetings to be a light for Him. Being obedient to the Lord isn't always comfortable.

In addition to AA, I attend a support group at my church, for women in recovery. We go through the Steps using the Life Recovery Bible.

Addiction and alcoholism are diseases of isolation. We need support, and we find loving acceptance in the 12 Step rooms, because the people there understand us more than the sober people in our churches. I go to AA to be a light for the Lord, not to make friends or pal around. I get the friendships from attending Bible studies at my church, and worship services.

Upvote 0

RUKiddingme

Apr 17, 2012
Mentor, Oiho
✟7,723.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Would it be wise to go through the workbook on my own and take steps?"

Ugh, the answer to that would be NO!!!.......You don't even know what your reading.
You can't be anonymous in alcoholics anonymous. You're a photographer, you go into dark rooms alone and develope negatives

Upvote 0