Is it true grade schools are teaching kids Islam? If so why?

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Is it true grade schools are teaching kids Islam? If so why? I don't believe any religion should be taught in school. I'm very bothered by this.
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/9-investigates-dad-protests-islamic-lessons-school/nj7Ny/
It's a 10th grade student, first of all, not a grade school student. I would hope that every high school student is educated on the major world religions. They're an important part of world history.

This is the only part that sounds a bit weird:
"Students were instructed to recite this prayer as the first Pillar of Islam, off of the board at the teacher's instruction," Wagner claims.
But is there actually evidence that this happened?

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
+1,

For the life of me, I just can't understand arguments "against" knowledge.

Especially in this day and age when the world is getting smaller and smaller. It is to all of our mutual benefit that we learn about each other.
Yep, and I just don't buy this "We should never mention the word religion in earshot of children" point of view, either.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What about no religions in schools.
No promotion of religion in schools.
If they are going to teach about Islam. Maybe they should teach about every religion.
The complaint is about a standard world history textbook. I guarantee there is plenty about Christianity and Judaism, as well as any other religions that are relevant to the topics covered.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Yep, and I just don't buy this "We should never mention the word religion in earshot of children" point of view, either.
Some people have the belief that if children here about certain things than all of a sudden the children will do that certain thing.

I recently saw the movie Inside Out by Pixar. Great movie. Well, in the movie they talk about a subject every single kid has thought about (don't want to spoil it). Anyways, Pixar does a bang up job treating this subject with care and understanding. Well, one of my friends hated the movie simply because Pixar mentioned this subject. He was like, "Now my kids are going to do this thing..." His kids were aged 8 and 10.

There are some that think just mentioning Islam will all of a sudden make your child convert to Islam.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0