Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For many people, their experience of faith, religion and community has done more harm than good. I think we all can slip into some form of faith toxicity without realizing it. I think Stephen Arterburn was the fist to name it.

21 Beliefs of a Toxic Faith–Stephen Arterburn

Last edited:

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
8. Spiteful God.—Problems in my life result from some particular sin.

All problems are not results of sin; many are simply results of reality. Pain is often a result of sin, but not necessarily a punishment for it. Problems can result from poor decisions, negative circumstances, and the fact that we live in an imperfect world.
God does not “zap” us each time we choose to sin, but if we partake in sinful behavior, we may in effect be zapping ourselves!

How often we get away with things but then again, how often do we "zap" ourselves and blame God?

Upvote 0

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am sure there is such a thing like Toxic faith or the working out of it in a toxic way. I have found out that believers have been very disappointed by the way church has treated them. I and my wife for example. We experienced little care from our previous friends during a painful lockdown year, though we have continued to contact them to see how they are.
Someone I knew was let down by leadership over the promise of a leadership/pastoral function having financed himself a theological course after it was insisted on. The role did not materialise. In his anger he left the church. I can understand that.
But recently two other things have happened. He stopped caring about God and has basically become a social activist and an attacker of church. (This last year he got a serious debilitating condition, which has curtailed his activities)
I can't understand how he went from disappointment with church to disappointment with God. Why blame God for human failings? Isn't this why God did this wonderful thing through His Son, precisely because people screw up?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don’t think following Jesus can be toxic, but some peoples ideas about what that entails can be.

Yes. Perhaps even more than the ideas, the attitude the person has and how they present their views to others. Peter talked about giving a reason for the faith we have with gentleness and respect. Bullying/ condescending people will come over as toxic even if right. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
God isn’t toxic. Sometimes a person’s approach to faith can be unbalanced and unhealthy. I’ve seen many things on that list. Christianity attracts a lot of people longing for love and acceptance. That isn’t the ideal scenario for good decisions.

When a person is motivated by lack they don’t have the boundaries in place they should. And they usually overcompensate to fill the void. That’s what exposes them to hurt and exploitation. They’re too trusting.

That doesn’t excuse bad behavior. But a wolf is a wolf. The message won’t resonate without agreement. Something in them that testifies to the things they see and hear. Something that strikes a chord. Or they’d repel it.

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums