Is It Sinful to Use Sex Toys? Are Vibrators & [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] a Sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
*flashes back to GTA San Andreas*

I haven't played the new one. :D

Most condemnations against "hedonism" are only condemnations against a specific set of pleasures snootily categorised as "lower" because REASONS.

'In every ascetic morality, man worships a part of himself as God, and for that he needs to diabolize the other part.' ~ Nietzsche

(I'm not sure it's true, but it's an interesting quote. I definitely don't agree with Nietzsche on everything. :p)

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder why people ask religious questions in this forum rather than one dealing with religious ethics and morals?
To answer your question . I think that if someone doesn't think something is a sin that that person wouldn't ask the question. I suspect when this happens there may be some feeling of guilt involved. My advice is if you have doubt whether something is a sin or not then don't do it. This way you won't have to be concerned that you might have sinned.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I haven't played the new one. :D

I was thinking of the mission where you can beat someone up with a giant sex toy.

Before Saint's Row ever did it. :p

'In every ascetic morality, man worships a part of himself as God, and for that he needs to diabolize the other part.' ~ Nietzsche

(I'm not sure it's true, but it's an interesting quote. I definitely don't agree with Nietzsche on everything. :p)

Crazy name, crazy guy ^_^

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I wonder why people ask religious questions in this forum rather than one dealing with religious ethics and morals?

How does it not deal with them?

The questions aren't ringfenced from negative or critical answers, of course, but that doesn't mean they aren't dealt with.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
To answer your question . I think that if someone doesn't think something is a sin that that person wouldn't ask the question. I suspect when this happens there may be some feeling of guilt involved. My advice is if you have doubt whether something is a sin or not then don't do it. This way you won't have to be concerned that you might have sinned.

When I was little I was taught in church that dying my hair or cutting it was a sin.

The reason I started to ask people (who did not attend my church) if it really was a sin or not is because deep down, something told me it wasn't and that I was being lied to.

So I consider asking others about this stuff as a good step forward. If I would have just ignored that feeling and accepted everything as I was told, I might still be stuck in the mindset that church forced me into (that was slowly driving me bonkers, for real).

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

RoseRedd

May 20, 2014
✟7,614.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No offense, but I was really only looking for Christians' answers, being that this has to do with Christianity. For those wanting to know my faith, I belong to what is called the Church of Christ, i.e.; Basically we do not add nor take away from the New Testament.

The thing I am concerned about the vibrator is that it can involve lustful thoughts. Masturbation can involved lustful thinking as well. But if I kept my head clear and just focused on what feels good instead of fantasizing about fornication, would that be wrong?

I really want to do what God thinks is best, but I am very unsure about this whole issue on the lust part. Also, do you think if I used a vibrator now, would it make losing my virginity hurt less? Or would it stretch me out?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How does it not deal with them?

The questions aren't ringfenced from negative or critical answers, of course, but that doesn't mean they aren't dealt with.

I didn't say they weren't dealt with here I just wondered why someone would bring a religious question here rather than to the forum specifically for religious questions. And the post above this from the OP is why I wonder. Seeing as she is new here I suppose she just did not have enough familiarity with the site.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm not denying the senses.

I say their role is to serve reason, not lead it.

And I'd say it's anti-human to pretend like one is worth caring about. Maybe neither should lead... they should just work together.

Why do you ask when I already pointed it out to you in the last paragraph of my previous post?

I'll put it another way: Why not act one both senses and reason? If you want a hot chocolate drink because it tastes nice, there's nothing unreasonable about that... and it's a very human thing to do.

As I said, All strong appetite, desire and emotion is a sign of narcissism and arrogance, of an Idolatry of Self; which is putting the subjective before the objective.

Why is strong desire like narcissism and arrogance, or Idolatry of Self? What does it mean to put the subjective before the objective? Why are these things bad?

Why is caring about your own enjoyment bad, if you care about others too?

It is where we believe that right and wrong answer to, and are defined by, our feelings, desires and appetites.

Is it wrong to think it's immoral to hurt someone because they don't want to be hurt? Or to help someone because it would make them happy?

Seeking / taking excessive pleasure in sex, such as using an artificially stimulating toy, is part of that.

What is using a sex toy excessive pleasure? If someone enjoys it then it would appear not to be excessive, but rather, just right.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No offense, but I was really only looking for Christians' answers, being that this has to do with Christianity. For those wanting to know my faith, I belong to what is called the Church of Christ, i.e.; Basically we do not add nor take away from the New Testament.

The thing I am concerned about the vibrator is that it can involve lustful thoughts. Masturbation can involved lustful thinking as well. But if I kept my head clear and just focused on what feels good instead of fantasizing about fornication, would that be wrong?

I really want to do what God thinks is best, but I am very unsure about this whole issue on the lust part. Also, do you think if I used a vibrator now, would it make losing my virginity hurt less? Or would it stretch me out?

There is an area called Christian Advice, and also a women's personal topics section. I would definitely consider taking your question to the women's personal topics area, as frankly, a thread about a 17 year old girl using a vibrator shouldn't really be viewed by say, a married 40 year old man. I've already seen some comments here from older men that, frankly, were pretty unseemly.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Losing your virginity should NOT hurt, even if you've never used a sex toy or masturbated in the past. If it hurts, that means there isn't enough lubrication or you are not sufficiently aroused at the time (or both, and you can get hurt like that!). That also applies to using sex toys- if it hurts, there's something wrong.

Any "stretching" would be temporary. The tissue that makes up that area is like elastic and it will go back into place after everything's over :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I was thinking of the mission where you can beat someone up with a giant sex toy.

Before Saint's Row ever did it. :p

Sounds like a lovely time all round. ^_^

Crazy name, crazy guy ^_^

Sexual asceticism... the anorexia of sexuality.

(Not Nietzsche this time)

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'll put it another way: Why not act one both senses and reason?

The appetites and feelings are subjective.

Reason is objective.

If you favour the subjective over the objective you walk towards animalism or even madness.

All strong appetite, desire and emotion favours the subjective over the objective, because they are all subjective - so when you favour them you are engaging in an idolatry of self where your appetite, desire and emotion are given the greatest position.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was little I was taught in church that dying my hair or cutting it was a sin.

There are those that believe that.

The reason I started to ask people (who did not attend my church) if it really was a sin or not is because deep down, something told me it wasn't and that I was being lied to.

You asked people that you knew would give you a different answer. Perhaps the ones you asked were lying? How can you tell which ones actually had the truth? Were you being lied to or were you being told what both groups believed to be true? There is a huge difference between lying and being misinformed or mistaken. This is why I say if one feels guilty about doing a thing refrain from doing it don't ask other people to tell you your conscience is wrong.

So I consider asking others about this stuff as a good step forward. If I would have just ignored that feeling and accepted everything as I was told, I might still be stuck in the mindset that church forced me into (that was slowly driving me bonkers, for real).

I notice you did not say you has any guilty feeling only a feeling that what you were being told was not correct. Asking others was just a way for you to gain reinforcement for what you already believed.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There are those that believe that.

You asked people that you knew would give you a different answer. Perhaps the ones you asked were lying? How can you tell which ones actually had the truth? Were you being lied to or were you being told what both groups believed to be true? There is a huge difference between lying and being misinformed or mistaken. This is why I say if one feels guilty about doing a thing refrain from doing it don't ask other people to tell you your conscience is wrong.

I notice you did not say you has any guilty feeling only a feeling that what you were being told was not correct. Asking others was just a way for you to gain reinforcement for what you already believed.

How do you know that the people who told me that it was a sin weren't lying?

After getting answers from other people, I felt better. Mostly because I felt that I wouldn't be verbally attacked by everyone who saw me if I decided to cut or dye my hair.

After a time, I started to pray about everything I thought. All the results I got said nothing about it being a sin- I still struggled with horrible guilt as I dyed my hair for the first time (for an anime convention), but God never sent me any message saying that what I was doing was wrong.

I've done it several times since then, and I've also cut my hair a lot. The first time I cut it, I was 19. My grandparents didn't believe it was a sin but they never said "it's not a sin" and thus I was influenced solely by what my teachers at Sunday School and church said. I finally asked to get most of my hair cut off at 19 and they were happy to do it.

It felt so liberating.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The appetites and feelings are subjective.

Reason is objective.

If you favour the subjective over the objective you walk towards animalism or even madness.

I'm in favour of the subjective and the objective. Both... like humans have both. Humans have a subjective element, so I don't see why the subjective would be animalistic, rather than humanistic.

All strong appetite, desire and emotion favours the subjective over the objective, because they are all subjective - so when you favour them you are engaging in an idolatry of self where your appetite, desire and emotion are given the greatest position.

I don't see why acting for subjective feelings put subjectivity above objectivity. You could value them equally.

Why would it be wrong to act subjectively for a bit anyway? If idolatry is having harmless fun... why is it wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't see why acting for subjective feelings put subjectivity above objectivity. You could value them equally.

I said strong feelings, not all feelings, and either the objective rules or it does not. And if it does not rule you make an idol of yourself.

But I get the impression that you are deliberately misreading or ignoring what I have said, so I will leave you to it. :)

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Some people ask questions like that because they want to know what other people (or in this case, Christians) with other backgrounds think.

ETA: I think this is a big reason some people come to CF in the first place.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JessicaMS
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
a thread about a 17 year old girl using a vibrator shouldn't really be viewed by say, a married 40 year old man.

Goodness yes, he might realise that women younger than him use sex toys.

And yet he's the one being unseemly by reading the thread?

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
No offense, but I was really only looking for Christians' answers, being that this has to do with Christianity.

*shrugs* It's your potential hangup. :)

I am curious as to where the Bible allegedly says that it's wrong to use a sex toy within marriage though. That's a new one.

For those wanting to know my faith, I belong to what is called the Church of Christ, i.e.; Basically we do not add nor take away from the New Testament.

As opposed to all those other churches that just edit away ^_^

(Reminds me of the holier-than-thou "Bible-believing Christian" ^_^)

It's pretty difficult to do.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.