May 12, 2008
Georgia
Visit site
✟11,782.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes, I feel like in our walk as Christians, we overly complicate things and spend way too much time intellectualizing and philosophizing. We lose sight of the fact that it really isn't that complicated. Jesus gave us simple instructions, but we spend so much time trying to make it fit into our experience that we have lost sight of the most basic things. No wonder so many of us struggle to trust God and not be moved by doubt.

So, I've decided to do a series of back to basics posts. I find that sometimes I just need to push the complexity aside and strip my faith down to bare essentials, so that I can actually see and align myself with God's will, rather than be side-tracked by things that don't really matter.

I want to begin when Jesus began calling the disciples. He simply told them to follow Him and they did. That simple. No questions, no waiting, no buts, no planning. Jesus said, "Follow Me" and they followed Him. Mind-blowing isn't it? Here are some scriptures from the first two gospels:

1. Matthew 4:19
    • New International Version (NIV)
      "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
      Matthew 4:18-20 (in Context) Matthew 4 (Whole Chapter)

1. Matthew 8:22
      But Jesus told him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."
      Matthew 8:21-23 (in Context) Matthew 8 (Whole Chapter)

1. Matthew 9:9

• Matthew 9:8-10 (in Context) Matthew 9 (Whole Chapter)
    • New King James Version (NKJV)
      [ Matthew the Tax Collector ] As Jesus passed on from there, He saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” So he arose and followed Him.
      Matthew 9:8-10 (in Context) Matthew 9 (Whole Chapter)

1. Matthew 19:21
      Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me
      Matthew 19:20-22 (in Context) Matthew 19 (Whole Chapter)
Mark 1:17

Mark 1:16-18 (in Context) Mark 1 (Whole Chapter)

New King James Version (NKJV)
As He passed by, He saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” So he arose and followed Him.
Mark 2:13-15 (in Context) Mark 2 (Whole Chapter)

Mark 10:21

Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
    Mark 10:20-22 (in Context) Mark 10 (Whole Chapter)

Doesn't Christ still call us this way? Isn't he saying to you right now, "Follow Me"? So, what are you doing? Stop making this such a big deal and just do it. :)

Reactions: probinson

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes, I feel like in our walk as Christians, we overly complicate things and spend way too much time intellectualizing and philosophizing. We lose sight of the fact that it really isn't that complicated. Jesus gave us simple instructions, but we spend so much time trying to make it fit into our experience that we have lost sight of the most basic things. No wonder so many of us struggle to trust God and not be moved by doubt.

So, I've decided to do a series of back to basics posts. I find that sometimes I just need to push the complexity aside and strip my faith down to bare essentials, so that I can actually see and align myself with God's will, rather than be side-tracked by things that don't really matter.

I want to begin when Jesus began calling the disciples. He simply told them to follow Him and they did. That simple. No questions, no waiting, no buts, no planning. Jesus said, "Follow Me" and they followed Him. Mind-blowing isn't it? Here are some scriptures from the first two gospels:

1. Matthew 4:19
      Matthew 4:18-20 (in Context) Matthew 4 (Whole Chapter)
  1. Matthew 8:22
      But Jesus told him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."
      Matthew 8:21-23 (in Context) Matthew 8 (Whole Chapter)
  1. Matthew 9:9

• Matthew 9:8-10 (in Context) Matthew 9 (Whole Chapter)
      [ Matthew the Tax Collector ] As Jesus passed on from there, He saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” So he arose and followed Him.
      Matthew 9:8-10 (in Context) Matthew 9 (Whole Chapter)
  1. Matthew 19:21
      Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me
      Matthew 19:20-22 (in Context) Matthew 19 (Whole Chapter)
Mark 1:17

Mark 1:16-18 (in Context) Mark 1 (Whole Chapter)
New King James Version (NKJV)
As He passed by, He saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” So he arose and followed Him.
Mark 2:13-15 (in Context) Mark 2 (Whole Chapter)

Mark 10:21

Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
    Mark 10:20-22 (in Context) Mark 10 (Whole Chapter)

Doesn't Christ still call us this way? Isn't he saying to you right now, "Follow Me"? So, what are you doing? Stop making this such a big deal and just do it. :)

Ah mate, that is what HE has been saying to HIS Lambs and Sheep for the past three decades, but sadly those who are suppose to tend and feed them are "cheating them with empty deceit of the traditions of men who cheat you through the philosophy of the world, and not the philosophy of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Col, 2:8).

The present Body of Christ and modern churches are being warned by many not to be taken in by a nice, good, feeling philosophy that sounds nice to their “ears” that doesn't conform to a proper knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The false teachers of today combine worldly philosophies and other practices that are the basic principles and practices of the world with the Gospel causing an enormous distortion, misrepresentation, and falseness of HIS INSPIRED WORD.

Their principles are given to them in elementary rules and regulations of the “traditions of the modern men”, which is nothing more than “milk”, and these false teachers seek to impose onto believers in accordance with dictates of human philosophy of unbelievers and the new age.

:)

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2008
✟15,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Lord if that is you, command me to come to you"...

Are we afraid to step out of the boat, and obey such a simple command of "Follow me"? I know there are times when I am honestly scared to take that step. And then other times I leap at the chance to become closer. But day by day, as I trust more, I leap more!

Upvote 0

Supplanter

There is no charge for awesomeness.
May 12, 2008
Georgia
Visit site
✟11,782.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
"Lord if that is you, command me to come to you"...

Are we afraid to step out of the boat, and obey such a simple command of "Follow me"? I know there are times when I am honestly scared to take that step. And then other times I leap at the chance to become closer. But day by day, as I trust more, I leap more!

:amen:

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Well mate, you seem to be making it out that just to follow HIM is to just follow HIM. What about all the other things that you are suppose to do.

And I stated James and it makes me wonder if you ever read James, the "Fix It" manual of following HIM?

Blessings!

Upvote 0

Supplanter

There is no charge for awesomeness.
May 12, 2008
Georgia
Visit site
✟11,782.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Well mate, you seem to be making it out that just to follow HIM is to just follow HIM. What about all the other things that you are suppose to do.

And I stated James and it makes me wonder if you ever read James, the "Fix It" manual of following HIM?

Blessings!

Yes, I've read James, I fail to see how that negates following Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.