Is it possible to hear God's voice today as the New Testament apostles and disciples did?

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,540.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What about Philip?

So he got up and went; and there was an Ethiopian eunuch, a court official of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was in charge of all her treasure; and he had come to Jerusalem to worship, and he was returning and sitting in his chariot, and was reading the prophet Isaiah. Then the Spirit said to Philip, “Go up and join this chariot.” Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?”
— Acts 8:27-30
We are not told how the Spirit gave the instruction to Philip. Also, the seven deacons appointed in the early church had a much closer fellowship with the Spirit than most standard believers today. The power and presence of the Spirit was largely lost when the church turned to formalism and bishop authority, and has not fully returned to the church. Most churches view the Holy Spirit as some indeterminate mist that hovers over the people, rather than a real Person who indwells them.

We also have people supposedly hearing the voice of the Spirit giving predictive prophecies that don't come to pass. There was a prophecy that Covid would peak and diminish by November 2020, and that hasn't happened, so where did that voice come from?

And if prophets were hearing the voice of God, why were none warned about Covid, the defeat of Donald Trump, and the riot at the Capitol building? We had prophets telling us that they heard the voice of the Spirit telling them that Trump was going to win a second term as President, but Bidel won instead. Where did that voice come from?

What about the voice that came to a prophet that said that there is a revival around the corner when billions are going to be saved? How is that credible when there are just seven billion people living in the world?

It really shows that we have to prove all these things with the Scriptures and give no credibility to any voice that is not consistent with what has already been said in the Scriptures.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We are not told how the Spirit gave the instruction to Philip. Also, the seven deacons appointed in the early church had a much closer fellowship with the Spirit than most standard believers today. The power and presence of the Spirit was largely lost when the church turned to formalism and bishop authority, and has not fully returned to the church. Most churches view the Holy Spirit as some indeterminate mist that hovers over the people, rather than a real Person who indwells them.

We also have people supposedly hearing the voice of the Spirit giving predictive prophecies that don't come to pass. There was a prophecy that Covid would peak and diminish by November 2020, and that hasn't happened, so where did that voice come from?

And if prophets were hearing the voice of God, why were none warned about Covid, the defeat of Donald Trump, and the riot at the Capitol building? We had prophets telling us that they heard the voice of the Spirit telling them that Trump was going to win a second term as President, but Bidel won instead. Where did that voice come from?

What about the voice that came to a prophet that said that there is a revival around the corner when billions are going to be saved? How is that credible when there are just seven billion people living in the world?

It really shows that we have to prove all these things with the Scriptures and give no credibility to any voice that is not consistent with what has already been said in the Scriptures.

Well, it says that Philp heard the voice of the Spirit. The Spirit said to him...

Look also at Ananias. He had a conversation with God.

Now there was a disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and the Lord said to him in a vision, “Ananias.” And he said, “Here I am, Lord.” And the Lord said to him, “Get up and go to the street called Straight, and inquire at the house of Judas for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying, and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him, so that he might regain his sight.” But Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he did to Your saints at Jerusalem; and here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name.” But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel;
— Acts 9:10-15

It's true we have lost much of what was natural of the first Church. But I think it's because of our lukewarmness, not because God has withdrawn the gifts.

Another thing, sure there are a lot of misuse of "prophecy", but the misuse doesn't mean there can't be real prophecy.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,540.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Well, it says that Philp heard the voice of the Spirit. The Spirit said to him...

Look also at Ananias. He had a conversation with God.

Now there was a disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and the Lord said to him in a vision, “Ananias.” And he said, “Here I am, Lord.” And the Lord said to him, “Get up and go to the street called Straight, and inquire at the house of Judas for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying, and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him, so that he might regain his sight.” But Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he did to Your saints at Jerusalem; and here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name.” But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel;
— Acts 9:10-15

It's true we have lost much of what was natural of the first Church. But I think it's because of our lukewarmness, not because God has withdrawn the gifts.

Another thing, sure there are a lot of misuse of "prophecy", but the misuse doesn't mean there can't be real prophecy.
I think the false prophets of the Word of Faith movement have muddied the waters and put the prophetic ministry into total confusion. I can understand that many aspiring prophets would be discouraged from making any progress in the ministry for fear of getting things wrong and ending up with egg on their faces.

• Agree
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I agree with that.

I may have spoken of this in this thread or another recent thread. I note that Paul speaks of prophesies happening in the Corinthian congregation, yet there is not a single recording in scripture of any of them.

I believe that the reason none of the Corinthian or other congregational prophesies are recorded is because they were all personal to the individuals or to the congregations--which is why the congregations would also be able to prove them out and either validate or repudiate the prophet.

If someone proposes to prophesy to the entire Body of Christ or to an entire nation, I'd judge that as an attempt to add to scripture.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just because some people abuse the truth (or make mistakes) doesn't mean we should refuse the truth. The Bible has plenty examples of people missing it when hearing God's voice or misunderstanding what they do hear. There is a reason so many people were wrong about Trump and the virus, but it's not because God doesn't speak to us outside of reading scripture (although what He says will never contradict scripture).

It is very dangerous to go down the path of, "if God did speak like that, why didn't prophets warn us about covid?". To say such things is to presume you know what God could/would/should share. That is making the exact same mistake the Trump and Covid prophecies made. It's up to God and God alone what He shares.

That being said there actually was a small, less "shared" group that did correctly prophesy these things in ways that are much more in line with the authentic prophetic.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That being said there actually was a small, less "shared" group that did correctly prophesy these things in ways that are much more in line with the authentic prophetic.

Where can this group be found? Do they have a website or something?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is very dangerous to go down the path of, "if God did speak like that, why didn't prophets warn us about covid?"

I disagree, it's the path we need to go down, the path of purification. Why are false prophets and those teaching a false gospel lauded and applauded in the church?

'I did not send these prophets, yet they have run with their message; I did not speak to them, yet they have prophesied' (Jeremiah 23:21).

Modern day Christianity is riddled with false prophets, it's the time the Lord warned us about- the End Times- the Lord warned us to be careful that no-one would deceive us because many false prophets and false Christs would appear to deceive the believers.

For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear (2 Timothy 4:3)

To be a successful prophet today you have to tickle ears. Truth doesn't factor into it.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree, it's the path we need to go down, the path of purification. Why are false prophets and those teaching a false gospel lauded and applauded in the church?

'I did not send these prophets, yet they have run with their message; I did not speak to them, yet they have prophesied' (Jeremiah 23:21).

Modern day Christianity is riddled with false prophets, it's the time the Lord warned us about- the End Times- the Lord warned us to be careful that no-one would deceive us because many false prophets and false Christs would appear to deceive the believers.

For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear (2 Timothy 4:3)

To be a successful prophet today you have to tickle ears. Truth doesn't factor into it.

God Bless :)
I see, so if you know what God should be saying, why don't you just say it then?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where can this group be found? Do they have a website or something?
I didn't mean an organized group, just that there are people out there that do it right. Patricia King's "Prophetic Manifesto" written in 2019, predicts much of the craziness of 2020, including Covid (not by name). I've met her and talked with her about it. She is one that did not get caught up in the Trump prophetic craziness (on either side). There are other's like her out there too, but they don't get (nor seek) the headlines.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because why would God break His laws of nature just to say you some marginal personal things. Everything you need to know, you can know naturally, by using reason God gave us and/or the special revelation God gave us many centuries ago.
This seems to assume that God can't be bothered to speak directly to us unless it's some huge revelation.
I don't think that's scriptural or correct.
Jesus speaks to his sheep in many different ways. Sometimes just to show love, or his sense of humor, or his power or his creativity.
Although it might not often be an audible voice, it can be. Or he might use another person to do the talking.
Or he might use scripture or a song or nature. We should not limit God to what we think he should operate like.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see, so if you know what God should be saying, why don't you just say it then?

We already know what God has said in the Holy Scriptures, when many modern day 'prophets' directly contradict what God has already said in the scriptures and fail the Berean test it's not helpful to further muddy the waters. Just call a spade a spade. The elephant in the room. They continually make false prophecies but are still seen as prophets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We already know what God has said in the Holy Scriptures, when many modern day 'prophets' directly contradict what God has already said in the scriptures and fail the Berean test it's not helpful to further muddy the waters. Just call a spade a spade. The elephant in the room. They continually make false prophecies but are still seen as prophets.
Now you are just dodging. If you want them to take responsibility for their words, why don't you start by taking responsibility for yours?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now you are just dodging. If you want them to take responsibility for their words, why don't you start by taking responsibility for yours?

I'm sorry I'm struggling to understand what you're saying.

My post #67 was primarily presenting scripture references- what God has already said about the danger of false prophets. I haven't seen you trying to address/ refute them or indeed presenting any other scripture references.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry I'm struggling to understand what you're saying.

My post #67 was primarily presenting scripture references- what God has already said about the danger of false prophets. I haven't seen you trying to address/ refute them or indeed presenting any other scripture references.
I posted about several things, the part you selected to respond to was this:
It is very dangerous to go down the path of, "if God did speak like that, why didn't prophets warn us about covid?"

You responded with this:
I disagree, it's the path we need to go down, the path of purification...

It is one thing to believe prophets got it wrong or are false. It is another thing entirely to start declaring what they "Should have said". When you start going down that road you are doing the EXACT SAME THING as the false prophets. You are presuming you know what God should be saying better that anyone else, including God. God reveals in part and He reveals as His Spirit wills. It is not your place, nor anyone else's to say what God "should be saying". Yet that's exactly what you decided to quote and disagree with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is one thing to believe prophets got it wrong or are false. It is another thing entirely to start declaring what they "Should have said". When you start going down that road you are doing the EXACT SAME THING as the false prophets.

That's where you're misunderstanding me then. I'm saying that people with a proven track record of giving false prophecies or false teaching, deceiving and defrauding are to be avoided, this will make the church stronger. We should go down the path of marking and avoiding false prophets and deceivers, this will purify the church. Jesus called them wolves in sheep's clothing. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's where you're misunderstanding me then. I'm saying that people with a proven track record of giving false prophecies or false teaching, deceiving and defrauding are to be avoided, this will make the church stronger. We should go down the path of marking and avoiding false prophets and deceivers, this will purify the church. Jesus called them wolves in sheep's clothing. God Bless :)
No, that's where you are misunderstanding me. You are the one that chose to quote that part of my post. I just explained, again, what it meant. If it has nothing to do with what you are saying, then that's on you, not me.

And I'll say it again. This is yet another reason your obsession with the false is unhealthy.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, that's where you are misunderstanding me. You are the one that chose to quote that part of my post. I just explained, again, what it meant. If it has nothing to do with what you are saying, then that's on you, not me.

And I'll say it again. This is yet another reason your obsession with the false is unhealthy.

Ok, you are misunderstanding me and I can't understand you. So perhaps we should just leave it, be blessed. :)

But I would say, The New Testament warns about the dangers of false prophets in virtually every chapter. It was a command of our Lord to 'watch out for false prophets' (Matthew 7:15). Not obsession, awareness and obedience of our Lord's command. As soon as we agree that false prophets are dangerous we can move on. So far I can't recall you addressing any scripture or posting any scripture yourself- your posts are more like just making cryptic assertions of your own to muddy the stream. If I'm wrong I sincerely apologize. Perhaps we can talk again on another subject. God Bless You :)

Upvote 0