Is it possible to hear God's voice today as the New Testament apostles and disciples did?

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok, you are misunderstanding me and I can't understand you. So perhaps we should just leave it, be blessed. :)

But I would say, The New Testament warns about the dangers of false prophets in virtually every chapter. It was a command of our Lord to 'watch out for false prophets' (Matthew 7:15). Not obsession, awareness and obedience of our Lord's command. As soon as we agree that false prophets are dangerous we can move on. So far I can't recall you addressing any scripture or posting any scripture yourself- your posts are more like just making cryptic assertions of your own to muddy the stream. If I'm wrong I sincerely apologize. Perhaps we can talk again on another subject. God Bless You :)
In the psst I've given you scripture. I've also given you direct examples based on my considerable experience. If you refuse to even consider what I have given, why would I provide more?

No one has disagreed that false prophets are dangerous. I am saying your obsession is also dangerous. No matter the topic, if it is related to the prophetic in any way you show up with the same old complaints and hijack it. And I'm the one muddying things? I don't think so.

I mean, look at your own words, "As soon as we agree that false prophets are dangerous we can move on"... you can't move on to love, to light, to joy, to growth until others validate that you are right about false prophets? That is unhealthy. Just as I've been saying.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I disagree, it's the path we need to go down, the path of purification. Why are false prophets and those teaching a false gospel lauded and applauded in the church?

'I did not send these prophets, yet they have run with their message; I did not speak to them, yet they have prophesied' (Jeremiah 23:21).

Modern day Christianity is riddled with false prophets, it's the time the Lord warned us about- the End Times- the Lord warned us to be careful that no-one would deceive us because many false prophets and false Christs would appear to deceive the believers.

For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear (2 Timothy 4:3)

To be a successful prophet today you have to tickle ears. Truth doesn't factor into it.

God Bless :)

Very true!

A true prophet has accountability. They must be correct or they are condemned. It must be GOD speaking through them or nothing.

False prophets do not like black and white, they want grey area to play around in. They want people to think "oh we just got it wrong this time, it will be right the next time."

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Possible? Sure.

Needed/useful? Thats the question.
You are seriously questioning whether hearing God is neither needful or useful?

We live in a different era, after the revelation has been completed and God does not break the natural rules just for our personal desires.
Different era, but exactly the same God with the same unchangeable character.
Malachi3v6 “For I am the LORD, I do not change; Therefore you are not consumed, O sons of Jacob.
The "natural rules" as revealed throughout scripture, are that God has always spoken to his children, just like He expects a natural father to speak to his children! Those are both natural and heavenly rules.
So, if somebody hears voices today, its more probable that its some kind of mental disorder.
So despite scripture stating that the Lord, who never changes his nature, and has spoken to men ever since Adam, you still have the gall to claim it's a mental disorder!!

FYI, for nearly 60 years I have been hearing God speak in one manner or another. But that's hardly surprising given that Jesus told his disciples, "my sheep hear my voice".

Hearing the still small voice of the Lord has even saved the life of both me and my wife.

One of the main reasons that Christians don't hear God's voice is because for centuries, the church has hardened their hearts by teaching the false doctrines you are repeating here.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,556.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No one has disagreed that false prophets are dangerous.

Hi Topher. I don't recall you agreeing with me, I don't recall you addressing any of the scripture references. Let's just agree to disagree as it seems to be getting ad hominem. Peace and God Bless :)

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Topher. I don't recall you agreeing with me, I don't recall you addressing any of the scripture references. Let's just agree to disagree as it seems to be getting ad hominem. Peace and God Bless :)
We've had this same discussion on multiple threads in the past. That's where I have previously addressed these things.

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Possible, most certainly.

For me, everything changed when I started addressing the Holy Spirit directly, asking Him to guide, teach and shape me according to His will. He is with all of us, but if you want to get to know Him, you need to ask Him, and never stop. My problem was that long ago, I could hear all sorts of spirits equally clearly, which drove me over the brink. I was about to commit suicide by driving into a highway bridge pillar at high speed. The moment I was about to swerve into the pillar and kill myself, I heard a mighty voice that shook me to my foundations, saying "NO MY CHILD!" I was never quite the same after that. The fact that He still considered me His child is what rescued me.

I kept on asking God to help me differentiate between good and evil. My reasoning was very simple: If I could clearly hear demons for so long, it would only be fair to be able to hear the Holy Spirit clearly. He saved my life a number of times using verbal warnings. These days, He is the only Spirit I can hear. And even now, once in a blue moon, if I feel unsure, He would confirm that Jesus Christ is the Lord - without me even asking. No evil spirit can do that - bible confirms this. All the demons that ever crossed my path would get stuck at the J - none of them could ever get as far as the second letter of His name. As for His voice, it doesn't sound like a human voice at all. It's difficult to describe, but for me, it's like a stream of water flowing right through me - and His kindness and gentleness is unmistakable. The love of God coming through in everything He says is as clear as day.

So, in short, ask, and you shall receive. Just don't ever stop asking.

So yes, call me crazy. I am crazy, crazy for God. :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I was just thinking:

Before Pentecost, people did not have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit like we have today. And for that reason, the Father doesn't really have to communicate with us directly anymore. We have the Holy Sprit who is ready, willing and able to do just that whenever we need it.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was just thinking:

Before Pentecost, people did not have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit like we have today. And for that reason, the Father doesn't really have to communicate with us directly anymore. We have the Holy Sprit who is ready, willing and able to do just that whenever we need it.
Is a good father going to limit the ways he can communicate with his kids?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nope. The way I understand it is that the Spirit says what the Father says. So we have full access to the Father through the Spirit.
Yet we see prophets in the NT and the book of acts after Pentecost.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I was just thinking:

Although that's what is invariably taught, it has no basis in fact. The Holy Spirit was always available to those who ask. And obviously the OT prophets had the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Look what Jesus told his followers, long before Pentecost.-
Luke11v 9“So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 11If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? 12Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

This is all spoken in the present tense, and was never intended to be merely a future event, after Jesus died.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Thank you for that. I will have to go check my facts. I might have paid too much attention to manmade teachings.:doh:
A question to ask is how is it possible for OT prophets to write such amazing scriptures and prophecies without having the Holy Spirit.

It is also falsely taught that nobody could be born again till Jesus died, or depending on your church's doctrine, till Pentecost.
Again, if that were true, then the whole of the OT was written by spiritually dead people!

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A question to ask is how is it possible for OT prophets to write such amazing scriptures and prophecies without having the Holy Spirit.

It is also falsely taught that nobody could be born again till Jesus died, or depending on your church's doctrine, till Pentecost.
Again, if that were true, then the whole of the OT was written by spiritually dead people!

Exactly. I always cringe when one asks "Are all the OT people in hell since they couldn't get saved?" The ultimate and easiest answer is no, they were under the old covenant. They had laws that they had to follow and sacrifices they had to make to atone for when they broke said laws.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,556.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People in the Old Testament could be filled with the Holy Spirit:

But as for me, I am filled with power, with the Spirit of the LORD, and with justice and might, to declare to Jacob his transgression, to Israel his sin (Micah 3:8)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums