Is It Possible To Be Both Christian AND Pagan? [Exploring My Religious Identity]

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟117,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Was only listening to acts 13 yesterday. The sorcerer elymas was trying to hinder The Lord's work. There is absolutely no place for sorcery in the Christian life. It has to go, (be repented of). God hates it, its an abomination to Him. Deut. 18:10-12

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Looks like most people have give adequate answers already and the OP has most likely left.

But others may be reading this thread who may have a similar outlook or question.

I think it's important, not only to know the commands of Christ, as outlined in scripture (which directly and unambiguously forbid pagan practices, such as wicca, witchcraft, fortune telling, etc), but knowing "why" is important.

None of God's commands are arbitrary, but have purpose.

To the uninitiated, these things seem like arbitrary limitations, because they have no knowledge of the "Christian/Biblical paradigm".

To pagans and other religious groups, many believe it permissible to mix and match faith, religion, mysticism, etc, and this was common in the ancient world too, you had many polytheists and so on.

However, from a Christian point of view, there are only "two sources of power" in the universe, God, or Satan.

Anything that is "magical", "spiritual", or provides some kind of "immaterial power", or "supernaturalism" either has to be divine, or... not divine. The divine power, being from God through means of his Holy Spirit (that in itself being another topic, as there are different views of just what the "spirit" is, but I digress), whilst the alternative would be getting power from the Devil (or the demons who work with him).

There is no "middle ground" or "neutral source of power" in the scriptural view. It's either coming from a holy source, or from elsewhere. If God has not authorised it, or granted it, then the power is coming from somewhere Satanic.

This is why these practices are forbidden scripturally, because it's not just "calling upon some power" that's in the universe, but rather, it is attaching one's self to evil forces. When we are in Christ, God's spirit is within us, and it "seals us" in the promised salvation, but we can "grieve it" with unholy conduct.

If we practice things which are Satanic in nature (again, this is the Christian paradigm), then we are having that "evil power" or spirit come upon us and within us, and that invokes death and destruction. And is it something which God finds foul. His Spirit and the spirit of evil cannot coincide.

As scripture says "you cannot sit at the table of the Lord and the table of Demons".

It is both a matter of God's sovereignty, as well as a matter of real spiritual forces in conflict of one another.

It may seem very "black and white", but the Bible's view of supernatural/spiritual forces in itself, is a black and white paradigm. Therefore, one cannot be Christian, whilst calling upon the powers of what Christian scripture would define by nature as the powers of Satan.

Does that mean even the most relatively clean media like "Peanuts" (the series) is of Satan?

Upvote 0

Proselyte of Yah

Your Friendly Neighborhood Arian
Apr 26, 2022
Midlands
Visit site
✟24,105.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Does that mean even the most relatively clean media like "Peanuts" (the series) is of Satan?

I'm not really familiar.

Looking it up, just looks like an innocent kid's cartoon to me?

But I was talking about "calling upon spiritual powers", not fiction and entertainment. So I'm not sure what connection you're trying to make between a kid's cartoon and practising magic is...

That being said, some Christians do avoid certain types of entertainment if they have occultic themes, based on their personal conscience.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
3577848qgd8n4otxg.png

Hi everyone, I am J and I am new to the forum.

I've decided to make an account and join this community because I have questions that need answers and am hoping to share my story as well as my woes here in confidence without fear of judgement in hopes that the people on this message board would be able to help me find my path, or maybe be able to relate and offer a hand of support?

To begin, I'd like to say that in recent months I've had a resolution of sorts. My entire life I was primarily non-religious, but as of August of this year I had a change of heart. I decided for the first time ever I wanted to give religion a fair chance and ever since converting from a non-religious lifestyle to a newly found religious lifestyle, I can honestly say that my life and perspectives have changed for the better!

There's one issue though...I'm confused and distressed over my religious identity.

I'd like to say that I am Christian, but Paganism (specifically Wicca) interests me far too much to simply be Christian. I'd like to incorporate both Christian and Wiccan traditions, rites, sacraments, beliefs, etc into one and have that (although I am not completely sure what "that" is) be my religious identity.

Christian-Pagan? Christian Witch? Pagan with Christian Interests? I'm not sure.

When trying to express these thoughts and interests to other Christians, I've been scorned, turned away from, and discriminated against. I've been told that what I'm interested in is "ungodly" and "the devil", and I feel like I'll never be accepted by other Christians.

Is it possible to be both? Does anyone else have this issue? Is anyone else a Christian-Pagan?

3577848qgd8n4otxg.png
I’m sorry miss,but the answer is a strict no.Paganism is completely opposite to that of Christianity.As a matter of fact they’re so unbelievably different and incompatible that they cannot be combined.

Christians are strictly told to never have idols.Idolatary is very serious,it’s twice condemned in the 10 commandments,and breaking just one of the Ten Commandments makes you guilty of them all,so if you break the two condemning idolatry,your breaking all the commandments twice once.God actually hates idols.He resents idols and becomes very jealous when people he loves turn to worthless objects(Isaiah 45:20,Jonah 2:8,Revelation 9:20,Galatians 5 19-21,psalm 135:15-18,Isaiah 44:9-20).Paganism is a religion that practically revolves around idols and practices condemned by the Lord.Paganism centers around multiple Gods,worshipping nature,human sacrifices,flamboyant lust,witchcraft,etc.

Paganism is evil,and God states in John14:6 “I am the way,the truth,and the life,no one comes unto the father but through me” Jesus is the ONLY way to eternal life,not empty,powerless,carvings of gold or wood.

God had his fair share of destroying Idols that corrupted the Israelites,such as Dagon and Baal,one he especially hates is Baal.But if you want a clear example of how evil paganism is,watch the movie “The wicker man” from 1974.

You either choose Jesus,count the cost,repent of your sins and receive and place your faith in Jesus.Or you continue worshipping powerless objects that ultimatly cannot save you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I’m sorry miss,but the answer is a strict no.Paganism is completely opposite to that of Christianity.As a matter of fact they’re so unbelievably different and incompatible that they cannot be combined.

Christians are strictly told to never have idols.Idolatary is very serious,it’s twice condemned in the 10 commandments,and breaking just one of the Ten Commandments makes you guilty of them all,so if you break the two condemning idolatry,your breaking all the commandments twice once.God actually hates idols.He resents idols and becomes very jealous when people he loves turn to worthless objects(Isaiah 45:20,Jonah 2:8,Revelation 9:20,Galatians 5 19-21,psalm 135:15-18,Isaiah 44:9-20).Paganism is a religion that practically revolves around idols and practices condemned by the Lord.Paganism centers around multiple Gods,worshipping nature,human sacrifices,flamboyant lust,witchcraft,etc.

Paganism is evil,and God states in John14:6 “I am the way,the truth,and the life,no one comes unto the father but through me” Jesus is the ONLY way to eternal life,not empty,powerless,carvings of gold or wood.

God had his fair share of destroying Idols that corrupted the Israelites,such as Dagon and Baal,one he especially hates is Baal.But if you want a clear example of how evil paganism is,watch the movie “The wicker man” from 1974.

You either choose Jesus,count the cost,repent of your sins and receive and place your faith in Jesus.Or you continue worshipping powerless objects that ultimatly cannot save you.

Now, I know that Paganism is no Christianity and I am not saying that Christ is not the only way to salvation.

I remember hearing "Paganism is the exact opposite of Christianity" and I am a little skeptical of the claim that it is the exact opposite. Yes, it had it's very dark side like you were describing, but there is also another side which principles and beliefs I wouldn't say are really evil and can be pretty noble. The Ancient Greeks and Roman civilizations at their peak natively adhered to Pagan religion, and they have the legacy of being one of the most advanced of mankind during the time. Even certain practices in Christianity arguably had legacy roots in Pagan culture.

All the above said however, I agree that it doesn't make sense to be Christian and Pagan at the same time like the OP has described.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Now, I know that Paganism is no Christianity and I am not saying that Christ is not the only way to salvation.

I remember hearing "Paganism is the exact opposite of Christianity" and I am a little skeptical of the claim that it is the exact opposite. Yes, it had it's very dark side like you were describing, but there is also another side which principles and beliefs I wouldn't say are really evil and can be pretty noble. The Ancient Greeks and Roman civilizations at their peak natively adhered to Pagan religion, and they have the legacy of being one of the most advanced of mankind during the time. Even certain practices in Christianity arguably had legacy roots in Pagan culture.

All the above said however, I agree that it doesn't make sense to be Christian and Pagan at the same time like the OP has described.
It doesn’t matter how wise paganism sounds. Paganism is apart from God and anything absent of God shouldn’t be in a Christian’s life.God says that the “wisdom of the world is foolishness to God” (1 Corinthians 3:19) Paganism is a dark evil false gospel.Every other religion of the world apart of Jesus and Christianity is false and of demons,wether it be Buddhism,Shintoism,Paganism,Zoroastrianism,Jainism,or Hinduism,they all are of demons and are false,leading millions astray down the path to destruction.Pagans killed Christian’s.They are barbaric idolaters that still are idolaters.You can’t choose paganism,that’s a truth I cannot stress enough friend.You can’t be a Christian and Buddhist,a Christian and a Muslim,a Christian and a Hindu,a Christian and a Sikh,etc.Jesus is the only way,there is no other name under heaven that can save(Acts 4:12).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Psalm 27
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Is It Possible To Be Both Christian AND Pagan?
Nope.

Exodus 20:1-6 Thou shalt have no other gods before My face.

John 10:1-10 [8] All that ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.

• Agree
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Is it possible to be both? Does anyone else have this issue? Is anyone else a Christian-Pagan?

3577848qgd8n4otxg.png
I think you need to choose one or the other. But the Christian choice has many options within it that may appeal to you more. I suggest you look at Catholic and Orthodox options that are both more physical and at the same time contain aspects of ritual and mysticism. Maybe those Catholic or Orthodox options will work for you. Check them out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Christian-Pagan? Christian Witch? Pagan with Christian Interests? I'm not sure.

When trying to express these thoughts and interests to other Christians, I've been scorned, turned away from, and discriminated against. I've been told that what I'm interested in is "ungodly" and "the devil", and I feel like I'll never be accepted by other Christians.

I think that is called "syncretism" is tries to mix opposing religions into one.

In the Bible the worship of idols, pagan deities - is to worship demons, demons are the enemy of the God of the Bible.

1 Cor 10:
14 Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to wise people; you then, judge what I say. 16 Is the cup of blessing which we bless not a sharing in the blood of Christ? Is the bread which we break not a sharing in the body of Christ? 17 Since there is one loaf, we who are many are one body; for we all partake of the one loaf. 18 Look at the people of Israel; are those who eat the sacrifices not partners in the altar? 19 What do I mean then? That food sacrificed to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? 20 No, but I say that things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to demons and not to God; and I do not want you to become partners with demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons.​

Upvote 0