Is It Possible To Be Both Christian AND Pagan? [Exploring My Religious Identity]

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Welcome to the site. I hope your time here is edifying. :)

In Pagan and New Age circles there are Christian Pagans/Witches. Christianity is the pantheon much like Greek, Dianic, etc. You'll encounter the same among the Hermetic and Crowley crowd. None are Christians in the traditional sense. They apply certain principles to their spiritual path. Many of the practitioners are former believers or were raised in Christian homes. Roughly 50% years ago. It may be higher now.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2020
Raleigh
✟8,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
A simple question for you.
Can you be a member of the Republican party and also a member of the Democratic party and at elections vote for candidates from both parties?

Christianity is exclusive. One either follows Jesus or one does not follow Jesus.
There is no mixing of ideas.
John 3:1+6-19 and 14:6 makes it very clear. It is follow Jesus or follow some other way.

I suppose that's one way to think of things, although I feel like this is a rather black-and-white, close-minded way to do so. I see your point and will consider your thoughts, thank you.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to say that I am Christian, but Paganism (specifically Wicca) interests me far too much to simply be Christian. I'd like to incorporate both Christian and Wiccan traditions, rites, sacraments, beliefs, etc into one and have that (although I am not completely sure what "that" is) be my religious identity.

By definition, you cannot be both Christian and pagan, although I suppose you could mix some incidental Christian customs or even ideas in with Wicca. But that wouldn't justify calling oneself a Christian.

P.S. I too hope you'll consider giving up the pink lettering. It'll make it difficult for some people to read and also to quote your message in a reply. :)

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
3577848qgd8n4otxg.png

Hi everyone, I am J and I am new to the forum.

I've decided to make an account and join this community because I have questions that need answers and am hoping to share my story as well as my woes here in confidence without fear of judgement in hopes that the people on this message board would be able to help me find my path, or maybe be able to relate and offer a hand of support?

To begin, I'd like to say that in recent months I've had a resolution of sorts. My entire life I was primarily non-religious, but as of August of this year I had a change of heart. I decided for the first time ever I wanted to give religion a fair chance and ever since converting from a non-religious lifestyle to a newly found religious lifestyle, I can honestly say that my life and perspectives have changed for the better!

There's one issue though...I'm confused and distressed over my religious identity.

I'd like to say that I am Christian, but Paganism (specifically Wicca) interests me far too much to simply be Christian. I'd like to incorporate both Christian and Wiccan traditions, rites, sacraments, beliefs, etc into one and have that (although I am not completely sure what "that" is) be my religious identity.

Christian-Pagan? Christian Witch? Pagan with Christian Interests? I'm not sure.

When trying to express these thoughts and interests to other Christians, I've been scorned, turned away from, and discriminated against. I've been told that what I'm interested in is "ungodly" and "the devil", and I feel like I'll never be accepted by other Christians.

Is it possible to be both? Does anyone else have this issue? Is anyone else a Christian-Pagan?

3577848qgd8n4otxg.png

Please understand that we as Christians cannot advocate anything that is against God’s word and paganism and idolatry are strictly forbidden. It’s just isn’t possible to be a Christian and worship another god. Any efforts to do so will not result favorably. I will tell you this tho, God loves you and He does want you to come to Him but you have to repent and turn away from any other false gods. They aren’t real and any prayers or offerings or worship actually go to demons. Don’t be discouraged, seek Christ and He will open your heart and lead you to the truth. Pagan gods are just a deception from evil beings intended to keep people away from God. There is only One God and He want you to be saved but it does have to be on His terms. He won’t compromise. Blessings to you friend and I sincerely hope that you will abandon all others and turn to the One True God of Israel.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To begin, I'd like to say that in recent months I've had a resolution of sorts. My entire life I was primarily non-religious, but as of August of this year I had a change of heart. I decided for the first time ever I wanted to give religion a fair chance and ever since converting from a non-religious lifestyle to a newly found religious lifestyle, I can honestly say that my life and perspectives have changed for the better!

There's one issue though...I'm confused and distressed over my religious identity.

What about Wicca attracted you, and what about it brings you closest to the Divine? Depending on what that is, it might be a feature that's also in Christianity, or it might be a feature that's at odds with Christianity.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I do not have specifics to offer but maybe these scriptures can act as guidelines to possibly filter aspects of what you might be able to apply to Christian living.

see:

1 Thessalonians 5:12-22

Philippians 4:8

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
One of the commandments of God is that we should have no other gods before him. God went at great lengths to demonstrate the necessity of this to the Israelites and therefore to seek to harmonize Paganism and Christianity into a syncretic tradition makes little sense to me. At least if we're going to take the bible as a book of serious theological authority in our lives.

Jesus revealed himself in a Pagan empire and challenged the very roots of that society. His message in the end ultimately undermined Paganism and saw that it was not long for this world.

Why attempt to merge the two? Pick one or the other, not both.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I suppose that's one way to think of things, although I feel like this is a rather black-and-white, close-minded way to do so. I see your point and will consider your thoughts, thank you.

Please note, it was not be saying that but Jesus.

One might say hat obeying traffic laws is closed minded, that speeding is far more free, untill one is talking to a traffic cop.

What is valid, your opinions or the Bible?

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2020
Raleigh
✟8,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Note: I'm unsure of how to lock threads, but I've found the answers I am looking for and will no longer be responding to comments under this thread. Thank you to everyone who has responded until now, I have considered your thoughts and advice and am going to continue on my own regard now!

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
3577848qgd8n4otxg.png

I've decided to make an account and join this community because I have questions that need answers and am hoping to share my story as well as my woes here in confidence without fear of judgement in hopes that the people on this message board would be able to help me find my path, or maybe be able to relate and offer a hand of support?

When trying to express these thoughts and interests to other Christians, I've been scorned, turned away from, and discriminated against. I've been told that what I'm interested in is "ungodly" and "the devil", and I feel like I'll never be accepted by other Christians.

Is it possible to be both? Does anyone else have this issue? Is anyone else a Christian-Pagan?

3577848qgd8n4otxg.png

The way I look at it, witchcraft is a mimic of what God can, and does do.

• Witches bless, and curse, Christ tells us to bless only.
  • Wicca has healing spells, Christ offers healing through prayer to God (as a Christian I have seen some of the sick healed by prayer).
  • Witches seek to tell the future, God also does this from time to time (I have some testimonies of this happening, in my life see Everybody Matters Ministry | Online Church)
  • Christians can raise the dead (I know of some) ... Wicca can't do that.
We then need to appropriate the source of the power. Christianity's power comes from obedience to Jesus, from loving ones neighbor. Wicca's power comes from god's and godesses, the Christian would say demons, dark powers.

If you want to get to heaven (and I'm sure you do), I say stick with the power that raised Jesus from the dead, and continues to work in lives.

• Winner
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
3577848qgd8n4otxg.png

3577848qgd8n4otxg.png
A lot depends upon what specifically you mean.

A Christian follows Jesus. Jesus saw the center of faith as love for God, who is one, and others. So monotheism isn't some optional part of Christianity.

As far as I can tell, Wicca basically sees nature as divine. Christians have seen nature as showing God. There are plenty of places in the Bible that show that as people appreciate nature they appreciate God. But as literally divine, no.

There are a couple of approaches to God and nature. Pantheism sees everything as God (or divine). On the other side, most Christians see God as separate, creating the universe and acting within it, but from outside. There is an intermediate position, panentheism. It sees God as existing outside nature, so it's not pantheism. But it also sees him as existing within nature. That's probably the closest Christianity can come to a pagan view.

There are certainly Christians who use nature in worship, with some overlap with wiccan practice. E.g. walking labyrinths. But this is done with the understanding that although we can see God through these practices, he is one, and is also beyond nature.

Last edited:
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Waymarker

May 5, 2009
✟19,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is It Possible To Be Both Christian AND Pagan? [Exploring My Religious Identity]

It depends what you mean by "paganism" exactly.
It has no god in it, so if you mean simply dancing round maypoles and stuff it sounds pretty harmless as long as you don't bung people in wicker men..:)
Jesus made it clear that he - and only he - was the path to God-
"Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:5-6)

• Winner
Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
3577848qgd8n4otxg.png

3577848qgd8n4otxg.png

Throughout history all belief systems on the planet have been nothing but syncretic. Christianity (Christ-likeness) is no exception. There’s no and never been a unique and genuinely new faith. “There’s nothing new under the moon”. Judaism was mainly syncretism of Western Semitic polytheistic religions with Persian Zoroastrianism, Egyptian and Babylonian religions. Christianity is mainly syncretism of Judaism with Greco-Roman phylosophy and religion, such as Platonism and worship of Olympian pantheon of gods. Christian rituals are a mix of traditions stemming from many ancient roots over several millennia. Therefore, what you are trying to follow is nothing but what all people have been doing for all history throughout the world. Ostracism and judgement is the result of ignorance. Follow your heart and be yourself. Find the most true expression of your soul. In this short life in the earthly realm, we have to honestly and sincerely manifest who we truly are. Otherwise we haven’t really lived!

To be a Christian is to be Christ-like: loving, accepting, forgiving, caring. People who judge, reject, condemn, do not care are un-Christ-like.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To be a Christian is to be Christ-like: loving, accepting, forgiving, caring. People who judge, reject, condemn, do not care are un-Christ-like.
Oh, yes, but saying this is merely to reflect upon the character or nature of this particular religion.

Getting back to the question of this thread, though, the answer is "No," a person cannot be both a pagan and a Christian, for the simple reason that Christianity does not accept false gods!

If there is one thing that is fundamental to this religion (as it is to Judaism and others), it's that there is one god only and ours is IT.

• Winner
Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Oh, yes, but saying this is merely to reflect upon the character or nature of this particular religion.

Getting back to the question of this thread, though, the answer is "No," a person cannot be both a pagan and a Christian, for the simple reason that Christianity does not accept false gods!

If there is one thing that is fundamental to this religion (as it is to Judaism and others), it's that there is one god only and ours is IT.

In our world of exaggerated masculinity, Feminine Divine is painfully lacking. So Christianity and Wicca sounds like a great balance. Catholic faith has done it with the introduction of the Holy Mary Mother of God worship.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In our world of exaggerated masculinity, Feminine Divine is painfully lacking. So Christianity and Wicca sounds like a great balance. Catholic faith has done it with the introduction of the Holy Mary Mother of God worship.

Yes... we could worship the statue of liberty...

She is already there and waiting.

It is all about balance.

NOT...

Upvote 0