Is it ok to have a statue in your house?

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Is it ok to have a statue of St. Francis in your house?
Is it ok to have a replica of the Venus de Milo in your house?
Is it ok to have a statue figurine of Spider-man?
Is it ok to have a statue of George Washington?
Is it ok to have a statue of the Virgin Mary?
Is it ok to have a replica of La Pietá?

1611AV

REPENT YE, AND BELIEVE THE GOSPEL.
May 1, 2010
Florida
✟16,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is it OK to bow or kneel down to a statue of the "virgin" Mary and worship her, In your opinion?

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Ark of the Covenant was topped with images of heavenly beings.

God said to put then there.

So, according to Protestant theology, God ordered no idolatry and then immediately ordered the Jews to engage in idolatry.

Was God wrong or is Protestant theology wrong?

Reactions: cobweb
Upvote 0

1611AV

May 1, 2010
Florida
✟16,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So, according to Protestant theology, God ordered no idolatry and then immediately ordered the Jews to engage in idolatry.

Can you back this up with scripture please?

Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depends on what they are there for and what you are doing with them;)

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Theres idols in ones heart (which is his house/temple) even as covetousness is idolotry both outward and inward is shown

Ezek 14:7 For every one of the house of Israel, or of the stranger that sojourneth in Israel, which separateth himself from me, and setteth up his idols in his heart and putteth the stumblingblock of his iniquity before his face, and cometh to a prophet to enquire of him concerning me; I the LORD will answer him by myself:

John says...

1John 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

What agreement is there is spoken of here

2Cr 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God

Acts 17:16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when hesaw the city wholly given to idolatry.

Acts 17:23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

devotions

1) whatever is religiously honoured, an object of worship
a) of temples, altars, statues, idolatrous images

As it pertains to the Godhead

Acts 17:29-30 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device. And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Theres alot throughout the OT, one could try and justify it after the patterns of the heavenly things as shown in the OT, but it does speak of God winking at it at one time due to ignorance.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

He used those things as shadows though, and he says this as well

Jerm 3:15-16 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding. And it shall come to pass, when ye be multiplied and increased in the land, in those days, saith the LORD, they shall say no more, The ark of the covenant of the LORD: neither shall it come to mind: neither shall they remember it; neither shall they visit it; neither shall that be done any more.

Sorta like doing this..

Ezek 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

“And thou shalt make a mercy seat of pure gold: two cubits and a half shall be the length thereof, and a cubit and a half the breadth thereof. And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them, in the two ends of the mercy seat. And make one cherub on the one end, and the other cherub on the other end: even of the mercy seat shall ye make the cherubims on the two ends thereof. And the cherubims shall stretch forth their wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings, and their faces shall look one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubims be. And thou shalt put the mercy seat above upon the ark; and in the ark thou shalt put the testimony that I shall give thee. ” (Exodus 25:17–21, KJV)

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Exodus 25:18
And thou shalt make two cherubim of gold; of beaten work shalt thou make them, at the two ends of the ark-cover

also there was the bronze snake that God had Moses make
Numbers 21

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that God told Israel to sin as a shadow.

What is that a shadow of?

Heb 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

You tell me, he tells Moses to make it after the patern, containing the images shadows or figures of the heavenly but commands you not to do that, then says the law is not of faith, the man who does these things will live by them and says he gave them judgments that were not good and that the just shall live by "faith" and faith looks AT that which is UNSEEN over THAT which is SEEN.

God bound all men over to disobedience that he might have mercy on them, Paul says God winked at their ignorance at one time right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1611AV

May 1, 2010
Florida
✟16,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Deuteronomy 5:8

Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:

Exodus 20:5

Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;

“And thou shalt make a mercy seat of pure gold: two cubits and a half shall be the length thereof, and a cubit and a half the breadth thereof. And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them, in the two ends of the mercy seat. And make one cherub on the one end, and the other cherub on the other end: even of the mercy seat shall ye make the cherubims on the two ends thereof. And the cherubims shall stretch forth their wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings, and their faces shall look one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubims be. And thou shalt put the mercy seat above upon the ark; and in the ark thou shalt put the testimony that I shall give thee. ” (Exodus 25:17–21, KJV)

Yeah, I don't see any evidence of anyone making this image unto themselves nor worshipping it. So to answer you question, NO, God did not command anyone to worship idols or make any unto themselves. Now some Religions ignore this and not only make them unto themselves but bow down or kneel down and worship them.

Upvote 0

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Deuteronomy 5:8

Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:

Oh No I have my Star Wars figures when I was a Child displayed.

You are right I'm throwing them out now and I'm going downtown and take down any statue I see of any War hero etc.
:thumbsup:

Reactions: Historicus
Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, I don't see any evidence of anyone making this image unto themselves nor worshipping it. So to answer you question, NO, God did not command anyone to worship idols or make any unto themselves. Now some Religions ignore this and not only make them unto themselves but bow down or kneel down and worship them.

The Catholic Church doesn't tell people to worship statues either. So, the Catholic Church is perfectly in synch with God, as is to be expected.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

1611AV

May 1, 2010
Florida
✟16,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Seems Protestant theology is correct since no idolatry was comited here. This image was set up for God Himself.
Joshua 3:11 Behold, the ark of the covenant of the Lord of all the earth passeth over before you into Jordan.

Upvote 0