Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I feel like I've really missed out on experiences at university to make friends. I don't drink, talk to women, have good friends.
What are your thoughts on going to nightclubs and having a drink or two to become more social and meet new people?

It depends on why you are going there and what you are doing there.

Church discipline once prohibited priests from entering taverns. Taverns in those days were what we would call crack houses today. The Church did not want to be scandalized by having its priests being seen in such places.

So I suppose if you're going to a respectable enough place for a drink or two and not doing cocaine in the toilet and not cheering on the wet t-shirt contest you're probably okay.

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I feel like I've really missed out on experiences at university to make friends. I don't drink, talk to women, have good friends.
What are your thoughts on going to nightclubs and having a drink or two to become more social and meet new people?

It's easy to fall into having a "drink or two" every weekend. If I were to go back, after my unsatisfactory time in nightclubs, I would join a Christian youth group, and meet with them every weekend. The bar has nothing to offer and is full of drunk people who are themselves lost.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's east to fall into having a "drink or two" every weekend. If I were to go back, after my unsatisfactory time in nightclubs, I would join a Christian youth group, and meet with them every weekend. The bar has nothing to offer and is full of drunk people who are themselves lost.
that sounds boring though please dont take offence.

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
that sounds boring though please dont take offence.

Haha, I don't think so. I have never been to a youth group meeting but I think the girls in the youth group would be much more fun and with potential to meet someone for marriage.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,133.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

The current pontiff was once a bouncer at such an establishment. If it's permissible to be employed there, I see no reason that going as a paid customer would not also be acceptable.

Upvote 0

Jim B.

Apr 24, 2019
Randolph
✟10,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I agree with the Romans 8 guy even though you thought it might be boring to go to a youth group. In fact, it takes more effort to hang out with a Christian youth group or a campus ministry. In that case, they will likely hold you accountable to living as a Christian.

I don't recommend going to night clubs and having a drink or two because this is probably a gradual pathway away from the church (as another member noted). If you're bored, to be honest with you, so much of life is kind of boring anyway. Alcohol does not solve this problem. Nor does it solve any other problem such as having difficulty making friends. I would seek out a new interest (as someone noted above). It could be canoeing, hiking, playing cards, or you can start your own club. Maybe it's people who go to the movies every Saturday night or something like that. I also recommend Celebrate Recovery. It's a Christ centered fellowship for any hurt, habit, or hang up. If you can find a meeting near you (I'm not sure if they're in Poland), perhaps you can go there and tell them that you're bored, thinking about picking up a drink, and that you presently have difficulty making friends. It's a honest program.

And by the way, the devil likes to make people think they're missing out on something. You mentioned you missed out on the university life. He told Eve she was missing out on that fruit over there. Some will tell you a drink or two doesn't hurt but based on what you're saying, it just doesn't sound good to me. There are so many other avenues you can take. If I could go back to my younger years, I would spend much more time learning about God's Word and becoming the person that God wants me to become and the person God created me to be.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Nightclubs are overrated, unless you have already a group of friends, nothing interesting happens, the price of the alcohol is expensive, the music too loud to speak and the people can be obnoxious. You could try to go to a dancing place (like country, Latin) which can be more exciting.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I think it's fine to, so long as you behave yourself. Went to a few during spring break, my girl and I had a blast. Wouldn't do it on a regular basis. Too expensive & just not our scene, but we had a really good time during spring break.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums