Is it normal for a new believer to get deceived into heresy at times?

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I haven't really read the Bible for myself but learned from others.

And when I read for myself I find out some doctrines aren't true.

Nothing was revealed to me all at once, I had to study and try to learn.

Is this normal?
Yes. Keep Christians that are more mature in the faith close by. They can help you avoid this pitfalls.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Is this normal?

Yes, it is. You don't know, until you know, so it's easy to fall for anything. But you've discovered that you need to act like the Bereans.

11 And the people of Berea were more open-minded than those in Thessalonica, and they listened eagerly to Paul’s message. They searched the Scriptures day after day to see if Paul and Silas were teaching the truth. Acts 17:11 (NLT)​

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, this is normal because you are just learning. (and may I say we all are, none of us know it all)

You have seen that by reading the Bible that you then know what is true or not, so do keep it up. We have no other thing to help us in this way and God gave us the Bible for this very reason.
Even the best intentioned or "experienced" person can be wrong so we need to measure up everything against what the Bible says.

As time goes on, you will find it easier because as you read you will know God more and more and learn what things are true.

May you find your walk with Jesus getting stronger each and every day.
God bless you.:)

Reactions: AvgJoe
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Is this normal?

Not being at all confused (i.e. not being fully informed on every single Bible doctrine/topic) right off the bat - right out of the gate so-to-speak is not expected of anyone. It is also not a sin to say "I don't know" or "I used to think that A was true but after reading more of the Bible I find that in fact 'B' is true".

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Is this normal?

I went to a new church last December and it was packed, about 200 people or more. The Pastor asked everyone who like to read the bible and less than 10 people raised their hands. Chances are, those "others" didn't read the bible for themselves either. :ebil:

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Is this normal?
Do you mean, is it usual? Yep. In fact, we are all misled in some ways --including "seasoned" Christians. I've been in it 63 years, and I constantly have to check my extravagant pursuits of "logic" into what seems reasonable, but is not specifically shown in Scripture. I find it a constant temptation to pursue extrapolations to the loss of the work of obedience and self-control, and even the loss of balance in scripture.

One example: How can those whose lives revolve around last days theology, expect that the conclusions they have drawn, and knowledge and wisdom, will keep them from accepting the mark of the Beast, if they are not already in the habit of obedience and the pursuit of Christ? How horribly wrong will the wrong be when they discover that after all the work and even intellectual integrity, and "dependence on the Spirit of God" to lead them, etc etc --after all they have done to get it right, it ends up wrong?

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are certainly some verses that can be taken at face value, however many are not as clear as they appear in English in the modern context. It's not about what thoughts enter your mind when you read it, but about dilligently pursuing what the author is trying to say. (There are things revealed by the Spirit, but that is generally only over prophetic utterances. The best example being that of the virgin birth.) That is a life long pursuit that must be put into practice by the new believer. Without it, a person cloud be swept into heresy. Any teacher should be doing the same, and they should explain why what he believes must be what the author is saying.

One good trick is this. If you are unsure of a teaching on a verse type the verse in google and put the word "interlinear" after it. Take the biblehub link and you can follow it from the original language using the laws of grammar even if you don't know the language.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it normal for a new believer to get deceived into heresy at times?

I think it can be understood. And probably it is normal to believe what other people say and not expect them to lie or to be wrong, if you have no reason to think so.

Is this normal?

I think it is normal and I think it is good to always examine things and study is the saying in line with the Bible.

... test everything. Hold on to what is good, but keep away from every kind of evil.
First Epistle to the Thessalonians 5:21

Upvote 0