Status
Not open for further replies.

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Isaiah 44:13-20 The carpenter measures with a line and makes an outline with a marker; he roughs it out with chisels and marks it with compasses. He shapes it in the form of man, of man in all his glory, that it may dwell in a shrine. He cut down cedars, or perhaps took a cypress or oak. He let it grow among the trees of the forest, or planted a pine, and the rain made it grow. It is man’s fuel for burning; some of it he takes and warms himself, he kindles a fire and bakes bread. But he also fashions a god and worships it; he makes an idol and bows down to it. Half of the wood he burns in the fire; over it he prepares his meal, he roasts his meat and eats his fill. He also warms himself and says, "Ah! I am warm; I see the fire." From the rest he makes a god, his idol; he bows down to it and worships. He prays to it and says, "Save me; you are my god." They know nothing, they understand nothing; their eyes are plastered over so they cannot see, and their minds closed so they cannot understand. No one stops to think, no one has the knowledge or understanding to say, "Half of it I used for fuel; I even baked bread over its coals, I roasted meat and I ate. Shall I make a detestable thing from what is left? Shall I bow down to a block of wood?" He feeds on ashes, a deluded heart misleads him; he cannot save himself, or say, "Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?"

So is it idolatry if one makes a wooden cross, for example, and assumes that the real presence of God is in the object, believing that God transubstantiates Himself into the wooden object, the wooden cross itself becoming God to that person, and so worships the wooden object which to them is God?

Is it idolatry only to the person who doesn't believe in the real presence of God in the object? Should the person who doesn't believe that God has transubstantiated Himself into the object consider the person who does believe such to be an idolator?

And does the Isaiah passage above apply?

Reactions: Dave L

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
"Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?"
Does that include a staff or a rod...?

The cross being an idol thing, It should just be a humble reminder for him or her, and/but nothing too much more or other than that...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do people believe that God is in a cross?

If it is used for worship in place of God it is an idol. Doesn't matter whether I believe it is God or represents God, it is forbidden to Christians.

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

If it is used for worship in place of God it is an idol. Doesn't matter whether I believe it is God or represents God, it is forbidden to Christians.
Define "used for worship in the place of God", though...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
I maybe just wanted to see if one might take it that far is all...?

God Bless!
It's a general case. You could just as well apply it to a piece of toast. But it would be interesting to hear if people think that the answer depends on the type of object.

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Define "used for worship in the place of God", though...?

God Bless!
Not in place of God, but rather the person in question believes that God transforms himself into the object, and so the object is God to that person. By "worship" I'm talking about the common understanding of the word.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

Does it depend on what the object is? What if instead of a wooden cross it's a piece of bread?

• Agree
Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It's a general case. You could just as well apply it to a piece of toast. But it would be interesting to hear if people think that the answer depends on the type of object.
I agree, it does not, not really, it may be more like what you are saying...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Isaiah 44:13-20 The carpenter measures with a line and makes an outline with a marker; he roughs it out with chisels and marks it with compasses. He shapes it in the form of man, of man in all his glory, that it may dwell in a shrine. He cut down cedars, or perhaps took a cypress or oak. He let it grow among the trees of the forest, or planted a pine, and the rain made it grow. It is man’s fuel for burning; some of it he takes and warms himself, he kindles a fire and bakes bread. But he also fashions a god and worships it; he makes an idol and bows down to it. Half of the wood he burns in the fire; over it he prepares his meal, he roasts his meat and eats his fill. He also warms himself and says, "Ah! I am warm; I see the fire." From the rest he makes a god, his idol; he bows down to it and worships. He prays to it and says, "Save me; you are my god." They know nothing, they understand nothing; their eyes are plastered over so they cannot see, and their minds closed so they cannot understand. No one stops to think, no one has the knowledge or understanding to say, "Half of it I used for fuel; I even baked bread over its coals, I roasted meat and I ate. Shall I make a detestable thing from what is left? Shall I bow down to a block of wood?" He feeds on ashes, a deluded heart misleads him; he cannot save himself, or say, "Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?"

So is it idolatry if one makes a wooden cross, for example, and assumes that the real presence of God is in the object, believing that God transubstantiates Himself into the wooden object, the wooden cross itself becoming God to that person, and so worships the wooden object which to them is God?

Is it idolatry only to the person who doesn't believe in the real presence of God in the object? Should the person who doesn't believe that God has transubstantiated Himself into the object consider the person who does believe such to be an idolator?

And does the Isaiah passage above apply?

If we look to the operative phrase, "he makes a god", there is the answer. A cross is not a god, it is a representation of the sacrifice of Christ, and is venerated, not worshipped. Icons of famous saints are not gods, they are reminders of those saints, and are venerated, not worshipped. If a bishop walked into a room, it would certainly be the polite and respectful thing to do to stand up when he entered. That is a form of veneration, not worship.

If we ask, "did the ancient Jews venerate the Ark of the Covenant", the answer would be yes. But the Jews never worshipped the Ark of the Covenant. It was not God, but had been created at the direction of God. God commanded the Israelites:

Exo 25:9 “According to all that I show you, that is, the pattern of the tabernacle and the pattern of all its furnishings, just so you shall make it.

Exo 25:18 “And you shall make two cherubim of gold; of hammered work you shall make them at the two ends of the mercy seat.

Exo 25:19 “Make one cherub at one end, and the other cherub at the other end; you shall make the cherubim at the two ends of it of one piece with the mercy seat.

So even though the Israelites made some images, and venerated them, and used them in worship, they were not idols as they were not considered gods.

• Agree
Reactions: ☦Marius☦
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
If we look to the operative phrase, "he makes a god", there is the answer. A cross is not a god, it is a representation of the sacrifice of Christ, and is venerated, not worshipped. Icons of famous saints are not gods, they are reminders of those saints, and are venerated, not worshipped. If a bishop walked into a room, it would certainly be the polite and respectful thing to do to stand up when he entered. That is a form of veneration, not worship.

If we ask, "did the ancient Jews venerate the Ark of the Covenant", the answer would be yes. But the Jews never worshipped the Ark of the Covenant. It was not God, but had been created at the direction of God. God commanded the Israelites:

Exo 25:9 “According to all that I show you, that is, the pattern of the tabernacle and the pattern of all its furnishings, just so you shall make it.

Exo 25:18 “And you shall make two cherubim of gold; of hammered work you shall make them at the two ends of the mercy seat.

Exo 25:19 “Make one cherub at one end, and the other cherub at the other end; you shall make the cherubim at the two ends of it of one piece with the mercy seat.

So even though the Israelites made some images, and venerated them, and used them in worship, they were not idols as they were not considered gods.
And what of the case of the "eucharist"?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And what of the case of the "eucharist"?

The only form of worship of the Eucharist I know of is in the Roman tradition. And in that case, no person creates a god, the god is created by God Himself. The bread before the invocation is in fact made by a man, but can be discarded if need be. Only after the invocation does the bread become the body and blood of Christ, and that change is the act of God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.