Is it hypocritical?

B

BigBadWlf

Is it hypocritical when we treat homosexuals in a different way than we treat other sinners? Especially when we ourselves are all sinners?

When we think it is ok to evict someone for being gay. To fire someone for being gay. To bar gays from adopting? To talk about them and treat them as if they are the filthiest of all sinners?

When no one would think to evict someone if they found out they view inappropriate contentography. When no one gets fired for sleeping around. When no one wants to bar remarried people from adopting. When men will laugh and joke about "scoring" with the hot coworker, or joke about masturbating but condemn gays. When people who I KNOW either have had affairs or are having affairs or extra-marital relations condemn gays.

It all absolutely DISGUSTS me. When did we decide that gays are the scapegoat? When did we decide that we can wallow in sin but feel good about ourselves because at least we aren't as bad as those filthy gays? When did we become such amazing hypocrites, imitating the people whom Jesus himself condemned? I'm not going to come on here and try to argue about the sinfulness of homosexual relations. I will come on here and argue that our culture has made a scapegoat out of gays, and offend God when we sit and talk about how bad "they" are which in comparison makes us so "good." Am I the only one so completly repulsed by this?

I may not be gay myself but I have gay friends and a gay family member and to hear such ignorant hypocrites, sinners themselves, condemn them as if they are the worst offenders against God makes me SICK.
Is it hypocritical?

Very.

what is really disturbing is that if conservative Christians treated any other minority the way they treat homosexuals they would be condemned and the rest of western society would be shocked and appalled at the hate and bigotry being displayed in the name of religion

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do you make it a point to attack liberals in nearly every post you make? Seriously, grow up.

Conservatives and liberals don't always fight. Several conservatives and I have decided to "agree to disagree, agreeably" and we get along -- and socialize -- just fine.

My conservative storm chasing partner asked me to be the Confirmation sponsor of his kids. Why? Because he knew that I was going to insist that his kids memorize or know well enough to discuss in detail the Creeds, the Ordinary, the essential stories from the Bible, Luther's Small Catechism, basic Church history, the Reformation, the Sacraments, similarities and differences in the four Gospels (plus Acts), and Paul's theory of justification by grace, through faith and how that is developed in Romans, Galatians and Ephesians.

To me, it doesn't matter if one is a conservative or a liberal: these are the essentials of the faith, and if one is going to be a Lutheran one has to understand and be able to discuss (intelligently) these things.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with most of what you said except for the fact that we are supposed to refute homosexual advocates in a loving manner. And no I don't mean the wussy liberal loving manner but in a respectful strong manner.

Except that all too often, it comes off in the "disrespectful, mean-spirited and hateful" manner of "loving the sinner and hating the sin" (which is actually "hating both the sinner and the sin").

And then many of you wonder why we want so little to do with you.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, but he's the only one that I constantly see directly attacking liberals most of the time unprovoked. It's similar to walking along in the city, seeing a peaceful person, and shooting him in the foot and then just walking by, saying nothing.

Let me add: "It's similar to walking along in the city, seeing a peaceful person, shooting him in the foot and then asking him, "So what's your problem? The only reason you're complaining is because you know you deserve to be shot in the foot!"

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Except that all too often, it comes off in the "disrespectful, mean-spirited and hateful" manner of "loving the sinner and hating the sin" (which is actually "hating both the sinner and the sin").

And then many of you wonder why we want so little to do with you.
Except it doesn't, you just whine that it does to say how intollerant we are.

Upvote 0

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
I would humbly observe that those who are being intolerant rarely realise that they are being intolerant. It's those who the intolerance is directed against who realise the intolerance.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Except it doesn't, you just whine that it does to say how intollerant we are.

Actually -- a lot of people on this particular forum attack (quite viciously, in fact), but these same people are the first to complain when people attack right back -- and then they complain that they're being "persecuted for the faith".

It ends up sort of like, "Mommy: Johnny hit me back first!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
I won't argue it anymore. I'd just like to point out that your arguments could do without the insults. Your arguments could then be taken more seriously.
You mean how the liberals insult everyone else for being intollerant biggots?

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Why? Because he said something which has some real merit, which happens to be something with which you don't agree?
If it had merit I would listen to it, so far none of you have produced anything except dogmatic statements.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it hypocritical?

Very.

what is really disturbing is that if conservative Christians treated any other minority the way they treat homosexuals they would be condemned and the rest of western society would be shocked and appalled at the hate and bigotry being displayed in the name of religion

Let's all haul out our hair shirts and whinge about persecution.

Not very long ago a "Christian" director/producer in the "Adult Entertainment" industry, joined the forum. He argued that he provided good, safe, working conditions, healthcare, routine tests before and after every "performance," all of his "actors" were required to use protection when performing, etc. Within minutes of his joining the forum and trying to justify his career and that industry, the conservative Christians were all over him, quoting scripture and statistics, singling out that one sin to the exclusion of everything else.

And if you were to go over to the Divorced and Separated, Remarriage, or Marriage Restoration forums you will see conservative Christians quoting scripture and statistics, singling out the sins of adultery and fornication to the exclusion of everything else. And so on and so on. Everybody feels like theirs is the only sin being condemned.

Upvote 0

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it hypocritical when we treat homosexuals in a different way than we treat other sinners? Especially when we ourselves are all sinners?

Is it hypocritical? I don't know I would use that word. It is inconsistent and wrong, yes. It is regretable and a poor witness, yes.

Upvote 0

UnitedInChrist

Veteran
Mar 23, 2007
New Jersey
✟8,999.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single

When we think it is ok to evict someone for being gay. To fire someone for being gay. To bar gays from adopting? To talk about them and treat them as if they are the filthiest of all sinners?

When no one would think to evict someone if they found out they view inappropriate contentography. When no one gets fired for sleeping around. When no one wants to bar remarried people from adopting. When men will laugh and joke about "scoring" with the hot coworker, or joke about masturbating but condemn gays. When people who I KNOW either have had affairs or are having affairs or extra-marital relations condemn gays.

It all absolutely DISGUSTS me. When did we decide that gays are the scapegoat? When did we decide that we can wallow in sin but feel good about ourselves because at least we aren't as bad as those filthy gays? When did we become such amazing hypocrites, imitating the people whom Jesus himself condemned? I'm not going to come on here and try to argue about the sinfulness of homosexual relations. I will come on here and argue that our culture has made a scapegoat out of gays, and offend God when we sit and talk about how bad "they" are which in comparison makes us so "good." Am I the only one so completly repulsed by this?

I may not be gay myself but I have gay friends and a gay family member and to hear such ignorant hypocrites, sinners themselves, condemn them as if they are the worst offenders against God makes me SICK.
Dude, wow...that's a posting...and you're not even gay. Proud my brother. You give us all hope.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

UnitedInChrist

Veteran
Mar 23, 2007
New Jersey
✟8,999.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
Is it hypocritical?

Very.

AMEN! Why do you think the "Bible Belt" has the reputation it does? Why do you think that when someone says "The Christian Right" it's almost as if you said a swear word or that u are one of Hitler's soldiers? The reputation of the Bible Belt is buried deep in bigotry, racism, discrimination, etc... Unfortuantely, Christianity today is hijacked by them, hence the negative spin on anything that has to do with religion. This is not condeming the Bible Belt, but we must be realistic here as well....it is the heart and soul of the fundamentalist church, and just like fundamentalist Islam...it is the "fringe" and not the majority. When you see that there are churches on every city block, and trailers pulled on the side of the road selling Bibles (yes, go to JAX, FL if you think I'm joking"), and mega churches for everything from Pentacostals, to Southern Baptist, you then gotta ask yourself, why do most of our executions happen in these states? Why in these states do we see abortion clincs being blown up to save babies, but to kill those in the process? Why are they currently trying to enforce laws (Oklahoma) that will force rape and insest victims to keep their baby if they should be pregnant, but execute the life that did this to them? Wanna talk hyprocay...it's an outrage. The Catholic rightfully got beat up over the past few years with their sexual molestation disgraces while the Church hid it. Sure, you can't be gay and be Christian participating in our worship, but sure...you can become a priest instead. Everyone justifiable got down on them. Did anyone see 20/20 last week? Take a look at your Baptist church now. there is no accountability by this denomination as most Baptist church operate independently. Well guess what? Hundreds of ministers have been arrested in the past year for child molestation, pediphilia, and the likes...the scary part??? They had PUBLIC RECORDS and were STILL HIRED and ALLOWED TO PREACH!!!!! Is this an outrage??? But guess what...through it all it is the homosexual that will held to the fires of hell.

Christians most definately need to come together. Also, while I would think most of us are here in the US that post on this board, it is Bible Belt Christian that sort of defines Christianity for the US. Outside of the US, Christians are not like our Bible Belt brothers/sisters. Christianity is about missions, embracing poor, the sick, the weak, the homeless. Bringing food to third world countries, educating and bringing ministry to remote areas of the world to show the light of God. It saddens me that here, in the US, the voice of christianity tends to be the hard lined self-righteous hypocrites that will run up and down isles in their churches full of the Jesus fever, but when it comes to walking the talk, they are anything but.....
'nuff said.

Upvote 0