Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the recognition of unjust structures is why we see a difference between Solomon and Jesus with regard to the poor.

Solomon--in the Promised Land with a Mosaic Law that prevented a multi-generational accumulation of wealth (or poverty) could characterize poverty as a result of indolence.

But by the time of Jesus, those elements of the Mosaic Law had been long ignored. I believe Jesus (as well as His apostles, including Paul) did see poverty as a matter of unjust structures.
The structure of Solomon's kingdom resembled that of Bathsheba's 1st husband, Uriah. Bathsheba's uncle was the advisor of Absolom who committed hairy kairy because Absolom didn't believe that David's men would support him and took the younger's advise instead. When he was caught by the hair in the bush it was the captain of the kings army that killed him. Did that earn him the right to be buried in Sarah's cave? Absolom was probably (Tarah too perhaps) amongst the children taken captive at that town when David was with the Philistine army. So there's many ways to look at that.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Regardless of human nature our kids need to be properly educated. Which means that they should be educated for their own benefit.
Sounds nice. In the western world that's not going to happen nowadays.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have a much more optimistic view of our education system. Not least because I can see the benefit to my own child (and lockdown gave us plenty of opportunity to see the drawbacks of at least one alternative)!

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The whole structure of teaching/learning has to change from competition to cooperation, as in the military. And as one of my army instructors said, "You will learn this stuff." :mad:
And learn we did. :graduation:

• Agree
Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country