✟85,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Bulldog said:
Based on the death of Christ on the cross, can we say that "God died"?

Deity in Christ can not die. Only his humanity was what died. For he was dying in our place, and we are not God.

1 Peter 3:18 nasb
"For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit."

For his humanity to be God , his humanity would have had to been always existing Eternally. Yet, his humanity was born at a point in time.

Deity of the Son, and the humanity of Christ, are two different things. But, both became one as Deity and humanity coalesced into one co-identifying unit. His humanity was fully identified by Deity. And, Deity was fully revealed to his humanity. That is why Christ can be the mediator between both man and God.

Grace and peace, GeneZ

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, we can say that God the Son died. You cannot separate Christ's two natures. They are distinct, but you cannot separate them. All of Jesus died on the Cross and all of Him was resurrected on the 3rd day. He is still both 100% human and 100% divine.

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 27

45From the sixth hour until the ninth hour darkness came over all the land. 46About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi,[c] lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"[d]

God the Father did not die nor did God the Holy Spirit. God the son died. Confusing, I know, but so is the entire concept of the Trinity.

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
katherine2001 said:
Yes, we can say that God the Son died. You cannot separate Christ's two natures. They are distinct, but you cannot separate them. All of Jesus died on the Cross and all of Him was resurrected on the 3rd day. He is still both 100% human and 100% divine.

My dear Katherine,

Please read Chapters XXVI and XXVII.

icxn :)

Upvote 0

Dad Ernie

Nov 28, 2003
Salem, Oregon, USA
Visit site
✟2,980.00
Faith
Protestant
Greetings,

I agree with Gene Z. How else could Jesus have descended into the depths and preached to those being held in prison?

1 Peter 3:18-19 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: 19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Upvote 0

johnd

Nov 30, 2003
God bless.
Visit site
✟9,564.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Gene Z and Dad Ernie.

Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. KJV

Colossians 2:9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, NIV

Hebrews 10:5 Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said: “Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me; 6 with burnt offerings and sin offerings you were not pleased. 7 Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll— I have come to do your will, O God.’” NIV

Hebrews 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me: 6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. KJV

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, {{in Greek morphe theos huparchon = never ceasing to be God}}...

...thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. KJV

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

The Word took upon himself a second nature: pre-fall human nature (1 Corinthians 15:45). It was that second nature that died on the cross and which he raised from the grave.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.