Is it better to write it down or forget it?

alphacheese

If God brings u to it, He will bring u through it
Jun 7, 2007
Montana!
✟21,734.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you guys think it's better to write things down that you don't like but have little or no control over or try to forget them? For instance things you dislike about your career, spouse, significant other, friends, etc. If you can do nothing about it would you rather it be something in a journal entry or better left alone and try to forget about it?

Lirpa

Finding My Way
Sep 1, 2008
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟7,886.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I usually try to forget about it. Which is not the healthy way...
My feelings tend to haunt me in my dreams, and while I'm zoning out at work.
The BEST way IS to write every detail down, how you feel about it, what was the negitive and positive learning experience from it, and...Throw it away.

Or keep it if you think it will help you in the future.

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Do you guys think it's better to write things down that you don't like but have little or no control over or try to forget them? For instance things you dislike about your career, spouse, significant other, friends, etc. If you can do nothing about it would you rather it be something in a journal entry or better left alone and try to forget about it?

Hey - I remember you! :wave:

I used to journal my anxieties all the time. Now, I hash them out in my head - usually while cleaning or gardening. Apparently, I don't have much to worry about because my floors need to be swept and I have weeds growing in my garden. :p

Upvote 0

Keri

Jan 1, 2006
✟51,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
JEFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, it's been way too long. I was just thinking about you like literally yesterday. I was talking with my boyfriend about Bear Grylls and how awesome he is and it reminded me of the video I saw that you made... anyway. Good to see you! :hug:

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't recommend writing anything potentially hurtful that you wouldn't want a loved one to find and read if you died suddenly. Also I think that concentrating on the negative aspects of life probably isn't good for you -- if you are going to write down the bad stuff write down the good stuff about your job, spouse, and so on as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
i'm a writer, and if something is *really* bugging i have to write it down to get it off of my chest. If its something potentially hurtful to someone else who could accidentally stumble across it i destroy it immediately. but the act of writing out my complaints and such is actually very therapeutic.

Upvote 0

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Journal? Never.

I'm not a writer, but the last thing I'd want to do is write down "journal" stuff. If i'm not manipulating literary devices then it's not fun.

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
alphacheese, welcome back. I think journaling can be great, I did up till 1996 and then changed to a prayer journal where the conversations became more between me and the Lord, less the details. Blogs are another way to go. Therepeutic for some but might not work for others.

I did forget some things from a long time ago and am just rereading some stuff that disturbs me, but gives me some answers to why I may be where I am today.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
neither. embrace them and accept them.

Upvote 0

ben0r

Sep 15, 2008
✟7,690.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i'm a writer, and if something is *really* bugging i have to write it down to get it off of my chest. If its something potentially hurtful to someone else who could accidentally stumble across it i destroy it immediately. but the act of writing out my complaints and such is actually very therapeutic.

Well said. Writing actually helps me get my thoughts out, sometimes I have a jumbled notion of whats going on in my head. Writing helps me get everything out in a relatively organized manner.

Also, it's interesting to read what I've written a couple years down the road. Helps me know where I've been...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

alphacheese

If God brings u to it, He will bring u through it
Jun 7, 2007
Montana!
✟21,734.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey all! Thanks for the welcome back :hug: I've been unbelievably busy... and still am. Thanks for all the opinions. I like that idea of a prayer journal. I like to take all of this to Christ and it would be nice to write down my feelings and thoughts after praying about it :)

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
alphacheese, to save money I started going to dollar stores and finding hardback cover journals and then use cool magazine (catalogs are free) pics, scripture cards and rubber cement to stick it. My current one has a surfer girl and wallet card (that goes in keychains) from Christian bookstores, "Where God guides, he provides. Isaiah43:2-4 When you pass through the waters...."

Bookstores have the more stylish journals. But it gets expensive. They are very encouraging to go back to also years later and see how far you've come in your walk, what you struggled with and if your still struggling. CHrist bless you.

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Hey all! Thanks for the welcome back :hug: I've been unbelievably busy... and still am. Thanks for all the opinions. I like that idea of a prayer journal. I like to take all of this to Christ and it would be nice to write down my feelings and thoughts after praying about it :)

It sounds like you could use some prayer. I'll be praying for you. :prayer:

Upvote 0