Is it acceptable for Christians in Britain to socially drink?

sunshinejennii

Pierced, Purple, Hippy, Happy, Laughing Lass
Mar 20, 2004
Uni=Birmingham, England and Home=Leicester (Oadby)
✟5,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well I went out for my friends 18th and there wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't have drunk anything alcoholic, other people weren't either cos they were driving or religious or other reasons which aren't necessary to ask about. I, however can now tell you that 1.5 BIG glasses of wine on a very empty stomach when you aren't used to alcohol is NOT sensible. I got up and discovered everything was wobbling slightly. Then the food arrived and I stuck to water until after we'd eaten. Now, without having been drunk I'm reminded to keep an eye on what I drink and it also made me think about where I leave it.

Upvote 0

tamtam92

Veteran
Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
✟9,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
sunshinejennii said:
Well I went out for my friends 18th and there wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't have drunk anything alcoholic, other people weren't either cos they were driving or religious or other reasons which aren't necessary to ask about. I, however can now tell you that 1.5 BIG glasses of wine on a very empty stomach when you aren't used to alcohol is NOT sensible. I got up and discovered everything was wobbling slightly. Then the food arrived and I stuck to water until after we'd eaten. Now, without having been drunk I'm reminded to keep an eye on what I drink and it also made me think about where I leave it.
Sometimes, when you're tired, only one glass can go to your head... moderation is moderation. Beer has less alcohol in it.

Upvote 0

Lucky_Skunk

Dec 3, 2004
✟7,722.00
Faith
Baptist
I also think that it is the American culture of "excess" that has given alcohol a bad name here, also.

A much as I love the USA, the excessive culture is our own worst enemy in a lot of ways.

"Why only have [blank] when you can have [blank]?"
The "blanks" can be:

-2 beers/10 beers
-a hamburger/a double-meat, cheese, and bacon burger.
-a 3.8 ltr engine/5.4 ltr engine

the statement could go on in SOO many ways.

Reactions: Mish
Upvote 0

sunshinejennii

Pierced, Purple, Hippy, Happy, Laughing Lass
Mar 20, 2004
Uni=Birmingham, England and Home=Leicester (Oadby)
✟5,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
tamtam92 said:
Sometimes, when you're tired, only one glass can go to your head... moderation is moderation. Beer has less alcohol in it.
Yeah I'm a beer girl usually.

Upvote 0

Karl - Liberal Backslider

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Lucky_Skunk said:
I also think that it is the American culture of "excess" that has given alcohol a bad name here, also.

A much as I love the USA, the excessive culture is our own worst enemy in a lot of ways.

The "blanks" can be:

-2 beers/10 beers
-a hamburger/a double-meat, cheese, and bacon burger.
-a 3.8 ltr engine/5.4 ltr engine

the statement could go on in SOO many ways.
From what I hear (which may be mistaken) you've got a long way to go to match our levels of excess on this particular front. There are plenty of people who think nothing of drinking 10 pints (and that's proper 20oz pints ;) ) in a night. It's bad enough what they risk doing to their livers; what's worse is that many of them can't hold their drink and make a pain in the [insert common UK word for backside] of themselves. Some of our town centres are no-go areas at the weekends. :(

[tangent]
"a 3.8 ltr engine/5.4 ltr engine"
[/tangent]

Whaaaaat? Over here, about 90% of engines are between 1 and 2 litres ;)

Upvote 0

meebs

The dev!l loves rock and roll
Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Lucky_Skunk said:
I know that in the US, especially in the south, drinking alcohol is heavily debated. However, alcohol is viewed much differently here than Europe.

My wife (who is from the UK but not a christian) has wine occasionally with dinner or, on occasions, she'll have a Guinness with Pizza. Is it like that for most of England as well?
it is. I did the alpha course a while back and sometimes after it finished we'd go to the pub. Some of them were christians ;)

We drink quite happily with food, or not with food.:D

However there are some people who go too far. Binge drinkers.:sick:

Upvote 0

He is Yahweh

Dec 14, 2004
Pateley Bridge
✟17,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Karl - Liberal Backslider said:
It's bad enough what they risk doing to their livers; what's worse is that many of them can't hold their drink and make a pain in the [insert common UK word for backside] of themselves. Some of our town centres are no-go areas at the weekends. :(
I would imagine in most places in the world there are people who have way too much and then go about making town centres no-go areas - This is definately not socially drinking!

For Christians in britain, or indeed anywhere else, I believe the following, the key is staying in control, ie. the odd social pint of beer is fine, the odd binging of a bucket of vodka is not!! (this is merely an example)

Ephesians 5 verse 18 says "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to ....", I think they key word here is drunk,

Or take 1 Corinthians 10:31 'So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.' Clearly getting drunk is out of the question, who knows what you might do in that state, but if you're sensible, I don't see a problem.

Opinions please, if I'm talking total rubbish please do tell me :D

Upvote 0

LiberatedChick

Contributor
Jun 28, 2004
UK
✟21,289.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not talking rubbish at all.
I agree...the odd drink is fine, the odd bucket is not! I saw a program on TV once where they were looking at binge drinking and how much people could put back. They kept track of one lady and how much drink she consumed on a Saturday night and then poured the same quantities of drink into a bucket to show her the next day. It was almost full (we're talking big plastic bucket, at least 12 litres in volume).

I used to binge drink (before I came back to Christ) but I had the sense and respect to do it in my own home rather than inflict my drunkeness on the entire town. Shame others don't do the same...I seriously would not advise walking down the high street of this town on a Friday or Saturday night.

Upvote 0

He is Yahweh

Dec 14, 2004
Pateley Bridge
✟17,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
starelda said:
Not talking rubbish at all.
I used to binge drink (before I came back to Christ) but I had the sense and respect to do it in my own home rather than inflict my drunkeness on the entire town. Shame others don't do the same...I seriously would not advise walking down the high street of this town on a Friday or Saturday night.
Which town's that?

Upvote 0

meebs

The dev!l loves rock and roll
Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
He is Yahweh said:
I would imagine in most places in the world there are people who have way too much and then go about making town centres no-go areas - This is definately not socially drinking!

For Christians in britain, or indeed anywhere else, I believe the following, the key is staying in control, ie. the odd social pint of beer is fine, the odd binging of a bucket of vodka is not!! (this is merely an example)

Ephesians 5 verse 18 says "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to ....", I think they key word here is drunk,

Or take 1 Corinthians 10:31 'So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.' Clearly getting drunk is out of the question, who knows what you might do in that state, but if you're sensible, I don't see a problem.

Opinions please, if I'm talking total rubbish please do tell me :D
its not rubbish even to a non christian - people take drink too far in this country even more than some european countries. Its sad and also annoying to see heavily drunk people, with puke on the street, broken bottles and signs and old people in fear of looking out of their windows at night, and it is bad in the north of england where i am :sigh: (did i not add - minor injuries units and A&E filled with drunk people with broken arms and noses? - when the units could be put to better use, as in saving lives - drunk people put a strain on them!)

sorry to sound miserable and putting people on a downer about it, but it is annoying (specially when you have people like that living near you - who are quite alright normally)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is Yahweh

Dec 14, 2004
Pateley Bridge
✟17,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
jellybean said:
its not rubbish even to a non christian - people take drink too far in this country even more than some european countries. Its sad and also annoying to see heavily drunk people, with puke on the street, broken bottles and signs and old people in fear of looking out of their windows at night, and it is bad in the north of england where i am :sigh: (did i not add - minor injuries units and A&E filled with drunk people with broken arms and noses? - when the units could be put to better use, as in saving lives - drunk people put a strain on them!)

sorry to sound miserable and putting people on a downer about it, but it is annoying (specially when you have people like that living near you - who are quite alright normally)
No worries about sounding miserable jellybean, I think most people will know someone or other who gets disorderly and has too much to drink.

Where abouts in the north are you? - I'm in a place called Pateley Bridge, its about 30 mins drive from Harrogate.

Upvote 0

but'n'ben

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Feb 24, 2004
✟1,638.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey jellybean I agree with you. The wholedrink culture in Britain really annoys me. I enjoy going out with friends into Edinburgh but it's irritating when drunk people stagger into you or throw up in the street so everyone else has to negotiate it. Almost makes me wish I lived on the continent where it's much less extreme.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
thetrainman said:
I dont know, I mean, I used to be a 15 year old kid once, and I never tested being drunk.

I have never taken a drag from a *** or anything like that, never done drugs, pretty much a straight edge. Although, my shortfall is sexual sin, that is something different. I am still a Virgin - yet, everyone around me is not, even some Christians! They all drink and get drunk, they all do drugs and smoke - yet, there is just one like me, a girl, another straight edge. She and God is what keeps me going, and I keep her going - we're determind not to fall into the same group as thew rest!

This may be offensive to you but... what category does that put them under... sinners?

The casual drink with friends, drinking when out clubbing (in moderation) or a drink with a meal in my view is all fine.

Be carefull not to look down on the people that do get drunk regularly, especially if they're you're friend. The chance's are that if they get drunk often then they're covering up some kind of pain. They'll need you're help, not your condemnation...

Upvote 0

StormeTorque

Floreat Dunelmia
Aug 28, 2003
Visit site
✟17,535.00
Faith
Agnostic
I wouldn't recommend getting drunk either. The bad thing is though, I say "never again", then a few weeks later I'll be out with friends celebrating handing in my dissertation or whatever, have too much, and wake up in my bed, fully clothed, with a whopping great headache.

Upvote 0

ajuran

Aug 3, 2004
Visit site
✟376.00
Faith
Non-Denom
i drink alcohol since i´m 15. but only on weekends and just socially. but i think the problem with the drinking habbits of a lot of young folk from the uk is, that they get drunk every weekend and make a hobby out of getting drunk. i saw once a report on this on cnn. it was really shocking.

i was drunk at least 2 times. the first time i was 16. in that age i used alcohol to solve or forget problems. so i stopped drinking at all between the age of 18 and 20. now i drink again but just bear, wine or sect. and thats a common thing for christians in germany. everybody is drinking - they even serve alcohol on church partys. but its forbidden at most of the youth events - because of the guys younger than 16 (18).

Upvote 0