Did Jesus drink wine on the cross after promising not to drink it at the Last Supper?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At the Last Supper, Jesus said in Matthew 26:

29 "I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s Kingdom".
This particular wine was probably the celebratory wine (G3631 οἶνος John 2:3). G3631 appears 34 times.

At Golgotha, initially, Mark 15:

23 they offered him wine [G3631] mixed with myrrh, but he did not take it.
Jesus did not drink this G3631-wine as promised.

Later, John 19:

28 After this, Jesus, knowing that all was now finished, said (to fulfill the Scripture), “I thirst.” 29A jar full of sour wine stood there, so they put a sponge full of the sour wine on a hyssop branch and held it to his mouth. 30When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
vinegar/sour wine
ὄξους (oxous)
Strong's 3690: Vinegar, sour wine mixed with water, a common drink of Roman soldiers. From oxus; vinegar, i.e. Sour wine.

H3690 occurs 6 times.

The Roman soldiers on site drank this sour wine to quench their thirst. Jesus drank this G3690-wine. This was not the celebratory type of wine.

Back then, people often drank low-grade wine instead of water for thirst because the alcoholic content kept bacteria from multiplying in plain water. It was safer to drink sour wine than water. At the Last Supper, Jesus promised not to drink the celebratory wine (G3613) until the kingdom of God materialized. He did not promise not to drink the usual wine of thirst. Jesus did not promise not to drink any liquid (G3690) for the rest of his life on earth.

Reactions: Ragdoll

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
At the Last Supper, Jesus said in Matthew 26:

This particular wine was probably the celebratory wine (G3631 οἶνος John 2:3). G3631 appears 34 times.

At Golgotha, initially, Mark 15:

Jesus did not drink this G3631-wine as promised.

Later, John 19:

vinegar/sour wine
ὄξους (oxous)
Strong's 3690: Vinegar, sour wine mixed with water, a common drink of Roman soldiers. From oxus; vinegar, i.e. Sour wine.

H3690 occurs 6 times.

The Roman soldiers on site drank this sour wine to quench their thirst. Jesus drank this G3690-wine. This was not the celebratory type of wine.

Back then, people often drank low-grade wine instead of water for thirst because the alcoholic content kept bacteria from multiplying in plain water. It was safer to drink sour wine than water. At the Last Supper, Jesus promised not to drink the celebratory wine (G3613) until the kingdom of God materialized. He did not promise not to drink the usual wine of thirst. Jesus did not promise not to drink any liquid (G3690) for the rest of his life on earth.
No He did not drink it. He took a Nazarite vow at the Last Supper to NOT drink of it (fruit of the vine) until He drinks it with us new in The Kingdom.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No He did not drink it. He took a Nazarite vow at the Last Supper to NOT drink of it (fruit of the vine) until He drinks it with us new in The Kingdom.
Did you read the OP:

30When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Did you read the OP:

30When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
If He drank it, it would have said that He drank it. It just says He received it, meaning it was offered or given to Him.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let proposition P1 = Jesus swallowed the sour wine before he died on the cross.

True?

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,567.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No He didn't
P2 = Jesus did not swallow the sour wine before he died on the cross.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He drank the 4th Cup of the Passover feast, the Cup of Consummation. Remember what St Paul told us, "is not the Cup of Blessing (3rd Cup of the Passover Feast) we drink......."

There are many resources to look at regarding this 4th Cup, just Google it.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
P2 = Jesus did not swallow the sour wine before he died on the cross.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.
You know my position, I said it clearly enough.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
He drank the 4th Cup of the Passover feast, the Cup of Consummation. Remember what St Paul told us, "is not the Cup of Blessing (3rd Cup of the Passover Feast) we drink......."

There are many resources to look at regarding this 4th Cup, just Google it.
He is not referring to the wine at the Last Supper. He is referring to the wine products at the crucifixion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We are not communicating. Please focus. I am not talking about gambling. I am talking about putting money where your mouth is.
Yes you ARE advocating gambling..."put your money where your mouth is". What are you in 2nd grade tough guy lol? Be an adult. Oy vey!

Upvote 0