New South Wales
✟15,502.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Ive just started watching NGE and can't get over all the pentagrams kabbalah symbols and Christian imagery and crucifixes displayed inappropriately. I would love to hear your take on wether the show is sinful and blasphemous or harmless and innocent. Im really struggling to make up my mind if this show is sinful. Thanks god bless

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,591.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
It's harmless entertainment and should be taken as such. As a matter of opinion I find Hollywood movies more offensive to our faith than NGE. Hollywood use the name of Jesus as a curse. Rest assured that you will not find such misused of Jesus' name in NGE.

If you look at it objectively the cross is actually a symbol of torture we Christians cooped it as a symbol of our Salvation when Jesus was crucified. But if you're still uncomfortable then you shouldn't continue.

Jesus said it is not what goes into us that make us unclean but rather what come out of us that makes us unclean.

Reactions: Hrairoo
Upvote 0

COMBATwombat777

May 29, 2020
New South Wales
✟15,502.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The scene with the angel crudely crucified on a cross was really did it for me. Especially since they even imitated piercing the side of the angel just like they did to christ. Maybe im just coming down on the Japanese too hard and reading too much into things idk. It just struck me as blasphemous but im not sure which is why i made this thread

Upvote 0

Kevin-D.77

May 13, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would trust your conviction. If you feel that watching that show hinders your walk with Christ, it is better to just leave it out. There are plenty of other titles that you can watch out there and don't feel you are missing out of you don't watch this one.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,591.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The scene with the angel crudely crucified on a cross was really did it for me. Especially since they even imitated piercing the side of the angel just like they did to christ. Maybe im just coming down on the Japanese too hard and reading too much into things idk. It just struck me as blasphemous but im not sure which is why i made this thread

From the mouth of the creators themselves.

Themes of Neon Genesis Evangelion - Wikipedia

Assistant director Kazuya Tsurumaki said that they originally used Christian symbolism and themes only to give the project a unique edge against other giant robot shows, that there is no Christian meaning to the series and that it was not meant to be controversial (although it was). Anno has said that Eva is susceptible to multiple interpretations. Hiroki Sato, head of Gainax's PR department, has made similar statements, as has Toshio Okada.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,591.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
We can find things to be offended by if we look and think too deeply into things. The first thing that come to your mind was Christ like imagery in the crucified angel.

But throughout history there have been many people who have been crucified the same way. Have you watch Spartacus (1960)? Near the ending Spartacus was crucified like Christ.

Given that it is by design of the cross that people punished on it will always have a degree of similarity in pose. And crucifixion was still carried out after Christ's death and Resurrection.

Reactions: Hrairoo
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
From the mouth of the creators themselves.

Themes of Neon Genesis Evangelion - Wikipedia

Assistant director Kazuya Tsurumaki said that they originally used Christian symbolism and themes only to give the project a unique edge against other giant robot shows, that there is no Christian meaning to the series and that it was not meant to be controversial (although it was). Anno has said that Eva is susceptible to multiple interpretations. Hiroki Sato, head of Gainax's PR department, has made similar statements, as has Toshio Okada.
In short, apply Hanlon's razor, especially with Japanese who don't tend to be very religious or necessarily have applied knowledge on other non Japanese focused religions like Christianity, Judaism, Islam, in contrast to Shinto, Daoism and Buddhism. The JApanese aren't doing it out of malice, but ignorance.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
We can find things to be offended by if we look and think too deeply into things. The first thing that come to your mind was Christ like imagery in the crucified angel.

But throughout history there have been many people who have been crucified the same way. Have you watch Spartacus (1960)? Near the ending Spartacus was crucified like Christ.

Given that it is by design of the cross that people punished on it will always have a degree of similarity in pose. And crucifixion was still carried out after Christ's death and Resurrection.
And much as Christians might disagree ith it, I found that the themes in Last Temptation of Christ were quite impressive. Reminds me, I should try to get that on DVD, along with some others I watched in that first religion course in college about various depictions of Jesus in media

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
The long and short of Evangelion is that the director came up with it after seeking medical treatment for depression and exhaustion. His goal was to deconstruct a number of cliches that at the time were common in "giant robot" series, but in his diminished mental state he veered too close to depicting the cliches in a more straightforward fashion, leading people to misconstrue what he was trying to get at; rather, it was believed that he was trying to produce a more traditional series that pushed the boundaries of what was allowable on broadcast television at the time.

The religious material is a mix of Christian theology and the theologies from various East Asian belief systems, but they've all been thrown into a blender and poured over everything to the point that it's functionally incoherent.

The end result is that while individual characters have become popular over the years (such that there's a never-ending stream of licensed merchandise, including material that depicts certain female characters in questionable ways), the series itself has been seriously polarizing and is treated as more of a "this was a pivotal series, so you owe it to yourself to watch it once to see what the hype was all about" event rather than anything serious.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, but as with all fiction one should be discerning. It's full of great moments and themes, but on the other hand has graphic violence and relishes in sexual fanservice. If you feel you can't handle the latter It's probably best to stay away from most anime in general.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

COMBATwombat777

May 29, 2020
New South Wales
✟15,502.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for answering my question without tearing eachother apart being rude and sarcastic. I gotta say i was expecting a more yahoo answers or reddit type response on this thread but most of you guys have actually given meaningful and solid answers and evidence. Thank you. I'm still not entirely sure where i stand with the series but im much closer to making my mind up about than i was before. Cheers

Reactions: Kevin-D.77
Upvote 0

Hawthorne

CF Singles High Council
Sep 1, 2005
Going to and fro and up and down in the earth.
✟44,826.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
This is an old thread, but I don't really care since NGE periodically comes up here. (I have watched the series twice.)

It goes without saying this post contains spoilers.

The material, while drawing on Christian imagery, owes most of its themes to Jewish mythology and lore. On the philosophical level, the story is a meditation on Genesis 2:18: "It is not good that the man should be alone;" and so the Human Instrumentality Project--man's effort to finish God's statement: "I will make him a helper fit for him," which is ultimately fulfilled at the very end of End of Evangelion. The key phrase here is man's effort, as this is what Evangelion is on the micro level.

Have you heard the legends surrounding the interspecies drama of the Nephilim? That's along the lines of Evangelion's setting, except it is a similar legend of Lilith. The lore tells how Lilith, Adam's first wife, who left her husband and consorted with demon Samael, begetting a myriad of demonic offspring, the lilin. The legends continue that God sent three angels to bid Lilith return to Adam; were she to refuse, one hundred of her offspring would die each day. In Evangelion, the humans are identified as lilin--which would explain the attacks of the angels. The EVAs, it is revealed share DNA similar to people (or, rather, the lilin), if we were to seek an analogue in the lore, the EVAs are golems, dust of the ground (the stuff of Adam) raised into an animated being. I hesitate to say they are living because, according the the lore, golems cannot be alive, as only the Lord gives life. Essentially, Evangelion is the story of Lilith's offspring fighting (and prevailing over) the angels God sends to kill them for their mother's rebellion, an ironic twist on the doctrine of Original Sin.

As another pointed out, the series contains a lot of ideas thrown into a blender. Sure, I get that (the Dead Sea Scrolls, for instance, have no semblance to the real-life DSS), but the overall themes are right on the mark for the legendary stories.

IN SUMMATION, Evangelion is not a Christian series, and it probably doesn't have many redeeming aspects. It borders on absolute pretension at times, but is at other times a thought-provoking series. The individual must the balance and decide for themselves if it is worth an amount (not huge, but some) of sexually-questionable tomfoolery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godzila

See, I make all things New!
Apr 2, 2008
Las Vegas
Visit site
✟16,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Evangelion series has popped up on my mind this week, I watched some youtube videos to remind me of meanings behind it.

Also, visitations to hell from various testimonies also popped up and I watched them on youtube.

In that perspective, after watching various testimonies of visitations to hell, my discernment tells me that Evangelion is more of a distraction than anything. Any sorts of fantasy that takes you away from reality, and your mission on earth ends up really being the Enemies' device. Now, sure you can watch it, just like how many people watch regular shows that brings entertainment, but is the show effective in altering your walk with God, such as that you become "Otaku"?

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,591.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm quite surprise to get an alert for this thread. I think you should just watch what you want, even unsavoury shows, deep down it is you who will determine whether it undermines your principles and believes. But at the same time my personal advise is in all things don't look too deeply into hidden messages if not everything will be offensive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I never got around to watching it yet but it is one of those philosophical shows that can make you think. It is one of the best anime out there apparently. Any show that can impact you with meaning is probably worth watching.

I can't agree with the OP that the Kabbalah is considered to be evil. A lot of Christians are suspicious of mysticism, but we ourselves have a very rich tradition of it.

Upvote 0