Kentucky
✟47,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Japan is a country where Christianity is not a major influence, I think the percentage of people who would say they are Christians there is very small. Still, Christianity does show up in anime and manga, sometimes in overt ways, others in more metaphorical or symbolic manners, and sometimes maybe in rather covert ways.

One example is from a bit of a surprising source: Fairy Tail. It's surprising, because I did stop watching it after a while, because the fan service got annoying. But while the church does not appear very much in the series, when it does appear is it treated with a good bit of respect, at least up to the point when I gave up on it.

The church even kind of appeared in Naruto, in the back story of one of the secondary characters, Kabuto.

Has anyone else noticed anime or manga series that seem to be influenced in some way by Christianity?

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Christianity is mentioned in Nobunaga Concerto. He meets a Jesuit missionary who desired to spread his beliefs (I don't want to say that it was Christian), but the Shogun did not approve or trust him. However, Saburo (main protagonist) as daimyo convinces/allows it to happen explaining that Christianity is very popular in his time. It seems like the only thing that mentioned anything related to Christianity in that manga.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's been said that the creator of Anpanman (Red-bean-bread-man), Takashi Yanase, intended the character as a symbol of Christ. Anpanman is made of bread and saves other characters, by letting them eat of his body for their strength, and Christ is the bread of life.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I mean, I'm not sure it's reasonable to say the church was really invoked in either Fairy Tail or Naruto, even if they may have had a religious background of sorts that led to an orphanage or other such things. For all we know, it's just a similar religion that just has those "Christian" appearances based on limited knowledge

As for a series influenced by Christianity and not just using it for the exotic-ness, I'd say Vatican Miracle Examiner (on Amazon, because Sentai Filmworks does that occasionally for streaming) did a good job, the leads having their own drama and even a crisis of faith with one and in the end (while leaving dangling plot threads) gives us a sense that their faith isn't affected negatively in spite of having a job that is basically meant to weed out all the fake miracles from legitimate ones (and treats miracles as something that would be generally ascribed to coincidence otherwise, like the one that supposedly happens near the end)

There's also a series I finally got back to and read a handful of chapters at a con last weekend, Manga Bible, done with cooperation of the Japan Bible Society and Next. Authors changed after the 2nd book, the one I'm on, but the adaptation is pretty faithful, maintaining the essence of each story's message while giving it at least a sense of being grounded and realistic in depictions of interpersonal dynamics. There are 5 books atm and a 6th is still in development that would adapt Revelation (crowdfunded, because of budget concerns and such, probably)and I have all 5 so far, but I'm still having to read so many other manga that this one has fallen to the wayside, sadly

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Christianity is mentioned in Nobunaga Concerto. He meets a Jesuit missionary who desired to spread his beliefs (I don't want to say that it was Christian), but the Shogun did not approve or trust him. However, Saburo (main protagonist) as daimyo convinces/allows it to happen explaining that Christianity is very popular in his time. It seems like the only thing that mentioned anything related to Christianity in that manga.

Not sure how a Jesuit missionary is really different from a minister of a Protestant bent evangelizing beyond superficial name differences. Historically, Protestants were fairly new when Francis Xavier first went to Japan, so obviously this would be the example of Christianity Japan and other countries were exposed to. Differing in the method of evangelism is normal, doesn't make them less Christian in the basic sense anymore than someone not doing a particular form of evangelism makes them less Christian, right?

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not sure how a Jesuit missionary is really different from a minister of a Protestant bent evangelizing beyond superficial name differences. Historically, Protestants were fairly new when Francis Xavier first went to Japan, so obviously this would be the example of Christianity Japan and other countries were exposed to. Differing in the method of evangelism is normal, doesn't make them less Christian in the basic sense anymore than someone not doing a particular form of evangelism makes them less Christian, right?

I don't think you understand, but if I outline my reasoning I could receive a warning on this site for promoting the idea that some groups on here aren't Christian. You're free to PM though.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I mean when you use the term Jesuit and then say you don't want to call them Christian, it's not difficult to deduce that insinuation

Not being Christian in your personal estimation of what is proper doctrinal teaching is arguably irrelevant in terms of a basic descriptive use of the term (are they promoting a perspective that wants one to turn their life over to Jesus and such? Then they're Christian).

The same applies to any situation where Catholics evangelizing to ancient Japan is a thing (Samurai Champloo has an episode on that and I seem to recall Gakuen Basara had a Christian themed character near the end, very likely based on Francis Xavier as well).

Japan's general use of Christianity for characters is...superficial, not intended as an insult, just reflective that they don't tend to get into details, same with depicting foreigners.

Upvote 0

Briannas

Jul 31, 2019
Toronto
✟7,740.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Christianity used to be very big in Japan(and all over the world) and all over Asia. It's very sad that it's not anymore! The native americans are descendants of the Asiatic people and my people used to be very Christian, until they were eventually influenced by the devil to be more pagan. All cultures suffered the devils devices at one point or another. This part of history is heavily kept hush-hush and unless you go about your own research on the subject you won't easily find it. Fact is many asians went pagan, further research will show you that "pagans" and other so-called faiths are nothing, but the same and stem from pagans or the devils devices. Catholics being one and Buddhists being another also Hindus. The list goes on. They are all just different kinds of pagans lol.

There are tons of animes and mangas that reference the Bible, but so do like many movies and cartoons from all over the world.

Here's a random anime with Jesus and uh I guess Buddha.

Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I mean when you use the term Jesuit and then say you don't want to call them Christian, it's not difficult to deduce that insinuation

Not being Christian in your personal estimation of what is proper doctrinal teaching is arguably irrelevant in terms of a basic descriptive use of the term (are they promoting a perspective that wants one to turn their life over to Jesus and such? Then they're Christian).

The same applies to any situation where Catholics evangelizing to ancient Japan is a thing (Samurai Champloo has an episode on that and I seem to recall Gakuen Basara had a Christian themed character near the end, very likely based on Francis Xavier as well).

Japan's general use of Christianity for characters is...superficial, not intended as an insult, just reflective that they don't tend to get into details, same with depicting foreigners.

It isn't about small doctrinal disputes, but about core principles that define the faith. Protestants and Catholics hold to different core beliefs, and they both don't see each other as Christians on account of it. It is like saying Islam and Judaism is the same because they are monotheistic and have the same names for most of their prophets, but ignore the core differences that separate them.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It isn't about small doctrinal disputes, but about core principles that define the faith. Protestants and Catholics hold to different core beliefs, and they both don't see each other as Christians on account of it. It is like saying Islam and Judaism is the same because they are monotheistic and have the same names for most of their prophets, but ignore the core differences that separate them.

You say core principles, but you likely mean minutiae that isn't nearly as importnat as you think it is in terms of the descriptive aspect of having Jesus be the means to salvation. That's like saying a denomination that preaches immersion is fundamentally different than one that has sprinkling for baptism. Merely because Catholics venerate saints (and you likely misunderstand what that entails) or focus on sacraments (which you also misunderstand, since Protestants acknowledge the validity of some sacraments in the first place, baptism and communion) doesn't mean they disagree on the Trinitarian doctrine or even in terms of, say, Arminianism or eschatology.

No one says Islam and Judaism are the same, except at best in the Abrahamic origin, which is not the same thing as saying they are variants on the same religious tradition, which Catholicism, Orthodox and Protestantism objectively are. You can call them false teachings, that's not the same thing as them being Christian in the descriptive sense, you're quibbling on prescriptive minutiae. Or to be more general, you're focusing on the theology versus the categorization of the denominations, that's not what is at issue here, that's your personal beef with Catholicism as "not Christian enough"

If it's about Christianity, but what you meant is Protestantism, as if what is the "right" Christianity is entirely germane to the discussion of its depiction in fiction, then maybe qualify that versus making a backhanded insult to a group as not falling into your personal orthodoxy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Christianity used to be very big in Japan(and all over the world) and all over Asia. It's very sad that it's not anymore! The native americans are descendants of the Asiatic people and my people used to be very Christian, until they were eventually influenced by the devil to be more pagan. All cultures suffered the devils devices at one point or another. This part of history is heavily kept hush-hush and unless you go about your own research on the subject you won't easily find it. Fact is many asians went pagan, further research will show you that "pagans" and other so-called faiths are nothing, but the same and stem from pagans or the devils devices. Catholics being one and Buddhists being another also Hindus. The list goes on. They are all just different kinds of pagans lol.

There are tons of animes and mangas that reference the Bible, but so do like many movies and cartoons from all over the world.

Here's a random anime with Jesus and uh I guess Buddha.

Only positive thing is bringing up Saint Young Men...and yes, it's Buddha, for you to not even have that basic knowledge suggests you are so utterly sheltered that it's no wonder you buy into utter nonsense about Christian influence in Asia and such

Uh, no, Christianity was at best a fad in Japan and didn't catch on like Western clothes or such because it was fundamentally at odds with the cultural ideas, particularly the homogeneity and influences of Buddhism and Shinto, focusing on immanence versus transcendence as regards religiosity, etc.

You can make up this conspiracy, that doesn't mean people will just take you seriously because you claim to have some special research or knowledge that the "mainstream" doesn't know. Maybe if you presented this evidence and were willing to take any criticism, maybe you could realize potential mistakes in the line of "reasoning" you take to suggest that Christianity was somehow known by Asian countries in the early history of the Church, when that was especially unlikely for Japan, under sakoku, where very few foreigners were even allowed, and in specific harbors at that.

What the supposed "new information" tends to actually mean is that you've found some crackpot insane pseudoscience or utterly asinine paradigm that is "revolutionary" because you apparently don't work based on rationalism or skepticism, but buy into whatever rhetoric is convincing enough to fit the idea of some special status for Protestant Christianity.

What you mean by pagan was technically used by the Romans to refer to Christians, a minority group that didn't fit with common demographics. What you likely mean is more heathen, though I want to say even that word's usage tends to be a condescending attitude to minority groups historically.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You say core principles, but you likely mean minutiae that isn't nearly as importnat as you think it is in terms of the descriptive aspect of having Jesus be the means to salvation. That's like saying a denomination that preaches immersion is fundamentally different than one that has sprinkling for baptism. Merely because Catholics venerate saints (and you likely misunderstand what that entails) or focus on sacraments (which you also misunderstand, since Protestants acknowledge the validity of some sacraments in the first place, baptism and communion) doesn't mean they disagree on the Trinitarian doctrine or even in terms of, say, Arminianism or eschatology.

No one says Islam and Judaism are the same, except at best in the Abrahamic origin, which is not the same thing as saying they are variants on the same religious tradition, which Catholicism, Orthodox and Protestantism objectively are. You can call them false teachings, that's not the same thing as them being Christian in the descriptive sense, you're quibbling on prescriptive minutiae. Or to be more general, you're focusing on the theology versus the categorization of the denominations, that's not what is at issue here, that's your personal beef with Catholicism as "not Christian enough"

If it's about Christianity, but what you meant is Protestantism, as if what is the "right" Christianity is entirely germane to the discussion of its depiction in fiction, then maybe qualify that versus making a backhanded insult to a group as not falling into your personal orthodoxy

The Council of Trent:

Canon XII. - If any one saith, that justifying faith is nothing else but confidence in the divine mercy which remits sins for Christ's sake; or, that this confidence alone is that whereby we are justified; let him be anathema.

Canon XVIII. - If any one saith, that the commandments of God are, even for one that is justified and constituted in grace, impossible to keep; let him be anathema.

Canon XXIV. - If any one saith, that the justice received is not preserved and also increased before God through good works; but that the said works are merely the fruits and signs of Justification obtained, but not a cause of the increase thereof; let him be anathema.

Canon XXX. - If any one saith, that, after the grace of Justification has been received, to every penitent sinner the guilt is remitted, and the debt of eternal punishment is blotted out in such wise, that there remains not any debt of temporal punishment to be discharged either in this world, or in the next in Purgatory, before the entrance to the kingdom of heaven can be opened (to him); let him be anathema.

Apparently, I'm condemned by these statements.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You say core principles, but you likely mean minutiae that isn't nearly as importnat as you think it is in terms of the descriptive aspect of having Jesus be the means to salvation.

You really don't understand what you are saying, leave it to a professing Buddhist tell me what the Scriptures teach about salvation in Christ.

Upvote 0

Bramblewild

Apr 16, 2019
Kentucky
✟47,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Two recent series have had the church represented in a pretty significant way.

In Black Clover, the two main characters grow up as orphans raised by a village's church. It's set in a fantasy world, but the church is modeled after the Catholic church, though not much has been made about the church's beliefs.

More interesting is The Ancient Magus' Bride. Although a fantasy series, it's set in this world, even a christianized country. In telling the back story of the character Cartophilus, it says that this character's curse goes back to him mocking or throwing stones at Christ at the crucifixion. It also shows the conflicts between the magical world the two main character live in and the Christianity of the church, even though both Chise and Elias get along with their village's bishop. Don't know how much it'll get into that conflict as the story goes along, as in the recent arc Chise and Elias have left the village and are at some kind of magical university.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums