is it a sin to smoke?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Do you feel the same concerning drinking? Which can cause health issue and hurt family and the occasional bystander on the street when one decides to drive after?
Drinking often causes a lot or some loss of control, self-control, and mental function.
It is sometimes like playing russian roulette , hoping not to die.

• Informative
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it a sin to smoke.. why?
The practice of smoking falls in the category with "indulging the weakness, lust of the flesh". Any habit that you allowed before salvation is to be discontinued since getting saved.

Discontinuing habits is the evidence of growing in Christ, being led of the Spirit and getting free from bondages.

Not only that but smoking cigarettes is proven to deteriorate your health- leaves deposits of tar in your lungs, and lessens your ability to breath fully.
It yellows and weakens the composition of your otherwise healthy teeth. The smoke covers your body and permeates your clothes. And continued smoking shortens people's lives.

An accident that takes a life is unavoidable? But smoking is a matter of choice.

The body doesn't know any better than to choose such death but the mind should and would if the spirit heeds the Spirit of life to choose life and be free from sin and death.

Reactions: Semper-Fi
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"
is it a sin to smoke?"

As the body is the temple for the Holy Spirit, only if it is equally a sin to be over weight, unfit and not educated.
footnote: Scientists decades ago proved smoking does not hurt a person unless they are allergic to something in the cigarettes.

Poisons are introduced to the body through many mechanisms, from many sources, some known, many unknown today. Food, air, water, medicine, clothing, sprays, chemicals, etc etc etc ..... the ones responsible for putting poisons where they affect people will pay the penalty some day - God's justice is Perfect with no spot nor wrinkle.

RE "not educated" ? Jesus PRAISES THE FATHER for REVEALING SALVATION TO THE "not educated" and for HIDING SALVATION from the educated ones.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Define sin?
This is my question as well.

Sometimes we focus on sins (acts) instead of sin (separation from God). I always think that habits or addictions is a symptom of something that sometimes we don't even know is there. If we come to God, He will bring it up to the surface and deliverance happens. Focus on the root of the problem.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
RE "not educated" ? Jesus PRAISES THE FATHER for REVEALING SALVATION TO THE "not educated" and for HIDING SALVATION from the educated ones.

We are commanded to always be able to give a reason for our faith.
While one does not have to have a phd, one has to learn to explain the reasons for faith.

to say, just belief, or have faith, is never an option for a Christian.

The educated rulers in the sanhedren noted that the disciples were not educated men, in the sence that they had been to college, but they noted they had been with Jesus and that this was equal to a university course.

Church should not just preach but teach and train Christians to teach others about Jesus and Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm you mean is it a sin to do things that hurt this flesh? :) As LaBella was saying about 1st Cor 10 what I like is "Or do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than He?" The end "but not everything is edifying."

The want.. the crave is of the flesh. To go a tad deeper some may understand some might not. To know Jesus Christ as lord. To know He is the only way then to do something knowing what effects it has knowing its not good for us.. could be or is sin and then do it anyways.. I always have personally always believed.. has a greater effect on us vs the world that know Him not. We have no excuses. The LAW so to speak for this world is SIN the price to sin equals death in this world.

So to answer this.. for me to smoke.. has no effect on every lasting life but.. will have some effect on this body will have a price. And it never pleases the one that died for me. Is not what pleases HIM rather then what pleases this body more important? The song playing fits "Plumb...God help me" What will you ask of me.. will I listen to your voice when you speak? Help me to move help me to see"

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are commanded to always be able to give a reason for our faith.
While one does not have to have a phd, one has to learn to explain the reasons for faith.

to say, just belief, or have faith, is never an option for a Christian.

The educated rulers in the sanhedren noted that the disciples were not educated men, in the sence that they had been to college, but they noted they had been with Jesus and that this was equal to a university course.

Church should not just preach but teach and train Christians to teach others about Jesus and Christianity.
The reason of your faith should not be only in words. If we are only speaking words before and after the study, what makes one set of words better that the other? Do we believe the person who speaks the best or makes the most sense? The one who has more education? Dresses better, or who has studied longer?

After the holy ghost is come ye shall have power.....which we should be able to demonstrate.... and this should speak louder than any words we can utter. a demonstration of the power of God......

lest we only have a form of godliness.....denying this power.....

"And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen."

Upvote 0

Dixibehr50

Sep 16, 2019
Phoenix
✟16,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
But only need A few drinks that can lead someone to Alcohol addiction, also known as alcoholism, a disease that affects people of all walks of life.

I do not remember those two things, can you point to
the scripture verses. Did they drink beer? or was
it just used as an offering?

Which part of the tithe money, they had several.
Was that for wine to help with merryment,
on one of Gods ordained feast day?
Thanks
At the present time, I don't have my on-line Bible installed on my new computer yet.

But these are the key words--beer, strong drink--you can look up in your KJV and Strong's.

Alc
But only need A few drinks that can lead someone to Alcohol addiction, also known as alcoholism, a disease that affects people of all walks of life.

I do not remember those two things, can you point to
the scripture verses. Did they drink beer? or was
it just used as an offering?

Which part of the tithe money, they had several.
Was that for wine to help with merryment,
on one of Gods ordained feast day?
Thanks

Of course, they drank beer and wine in OT times, as well as today.

About spending your tithe on "strong drink", this was allowed when it was too far away to send one's agricultural tithe before it spoiled.

Alas, my on-line Bible is not working, so I can't give you BCV.

Alcoholism is a more complex subject that you are trying to make it here.

Generally substance abuse, aka addiction, is a useless attempt to self-medicate an underlying psychological issue, as the 12 Steps point out.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As others, much wiser than myself, have said before, smoking won't keep you out of heaven; it may even get you there sooner, in fact.

Personally I regret every cigarette I ever smoked-and know that it was a negative, anti-life sort of practice speaking for myself. One of my first answered prayers was deliverance from an ugly and huge habit-I hate to admit how weak I was- but in that weakness God showed me His strength-and His will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That is the best question.... Why smoke?
It's costly.
It's offensive to others.
It harms your body.
It's addictive (hold no other god's before me)

All around, there is no reason for doing it.

If your body is the temple of God... are we to take care of the temple? Or.. bring it harm? Does that make it a sin?

What about disrespect for the body God gave you?

Then again, gluttony and being a drunk would also fall into that.

Reactions: Semper-Fi
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a weight mandate and food prohibitions. There are foods I’ve been told to avoid and places I shouldn’t shop.

I was advised to reduce my caffeine intake several years ago. I drink less than 8 ounces daily. And my whole foods seasonal diet and fitness routine is the result of His input.

I am permitted to have alcohol (I prefer wine and champagne) in moderation but never when I’m upset or sad.

The Holy Spirit influences our behavior if we’re willing to listen.

Upvote 0