mandii_ck

Jan 8, 2010
michigan
✟7,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a christian now but when I was in high school I was a MAJOR stoner.. Regardless of marijuanas effects on physical health, its a mind altering drug.. anything that alters your state of mind is a sin..

The Bible says that SORCERY is a sin.. The word sorcery comes from the greek word PHARMAKEIA.. Pharmakeia is drug use (PHARMAKEIA ... PHARMACY)

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm a christian now but when I was in high school I was a MAJOR stoner.. Regardless of marijuanas effects on physical health, its a mind altering drug.. anything that alters your state of mind is a sin..

The Bible says that SORCERY is a sin.. The word sorcery comes from the greek word PHARMAKEIA.. Pharmakeia is drug use (PHARMAKEIA ... PHARMACY)

WELL PUT!

ephraim

Upvote 0

cinseattle

Dec 25, 2009
✟7,668.00
Faith
Christian
Paul is clear that if your conscience condemns you then it is sin, otherwise, why should your liberty be judged by another man's conscience? 1 Cor 10:29

You also have to take into account the law of love. If your liberty causes another brother/sister to stumble then you are sinning.

What you allow is between you and God as you are free indeed, but being led by the spirit means having the discernement to know when and how to use that freedom.

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How is it possible to increase THC in the plant, its not an additive its a byproduct, THC has not increased, if anything the processes used to determine how much is in a plant has gotten better. Therefor you were smoking marijuana which is just as potent.
MY BROTHER,

Your lack of understanding of the nature of a dangerous substance whose use you are advocating and supporting is truly scary. Whatever are you thinking?!

The THC in cannabis has increased over the years--from about 2 percent in the 60's to over 20 percent as we speak (which means weed smokes today get in 3 or 4 hits the same amount of THC as we in the 60's had to smoke a whole Cheech and Chong-sized joint to get)--by the development, by entrepreneurs, of more sophisticated growing techniques--tricks of the trade, if you will--such as increasing the hours of light received, spraying various chemicals on the buds as they are developing, focusing heat lamps on the buds as they are maturing, removing all male plants before pollination, etc. the Internet is full of websites providing instructions on producing more potent cannabis--why in the world are you denying the easily verifiable obvious?

All i am saying is marijuana is not as bad as alcohol, not in terms of legality but in terms of effects, and therefor if one believes alcohol is polluting the body than they should also believe marijuana is as well, and vice versa.

What you are saying, whether you mean to or not, are aware of the message you are sending or not, is that cannabis is a safe high--with no negative consequences and which can be indulged in without risk and without sin. You are seriously wrong! and you will have to answer for all those who are led astray by your misguided and mistaken pronouncements on a subject of which you have no real knowledge or understanding. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS? WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION. IF what you say were true i, and many other Christians who are recovering-by-the-grace-of-God-ex-stoners, would still be smokin.

The truth is that weed pollutes the body much more than does alcohol. Alcohol, being a water soluble drug, is eliminated from the body very quickly--at the rate of about 1/2 ounce of pure alcohol (the equivalent of 1 drink) per hour. The THC in cannabis, however, being a fat soluble substance, is eliminated very slowly, and the THC in one joint can remain in the body for a week or more, many people losing their jobs for positive blood tests at work for week they smoked up to 10 days or more before.

Incidentally, the brain being over 2/3 fat, the THC which is absorbed into the brain continues to affect thinking and behavior long after the smoker is down from their high.

Again, ANYTIME YOU RECREATIONALLY USE A SUBSTANCE TO INTENTIONALLY ALTER YOUR MENTAL, EMOTIONAL, OR SPIRITUAL FUNCTIONING, YOU COMMIT A SIN BY POLLUTING THE TEMPLE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT--which we, as Christians, have become. In addition, because of the nature of the high, you are opening your mind and allowing the evil one to insert ungodly ideas and concepts into your consciousness which will lead to further sins.

A few hours of drug-induced euphoria is simply not worth an eternity of regrets.

My sister, PLEASE be aware of the effects of your words on others--you will have to answer for them, in time, to your Lord:

"And I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." [Matthew 12:36-37 (ASV)]

:bow:ABBA'S FOOL,
ephraim

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2009
✟7,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:prayer: Lord, I lift up those who would be caught up in the zealousness of your word and mistakenly judge those who are not sinning. Please open their eyes to see the freedom and truth that you died to bring them. I pray that these conservative Christians who probably mean well would see the light of your Word and truth that marijuana is no more a sin than alcohol, which you yourself partook in.
In Jesus' holy name, AMEN:prayer:

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
:prayer: Lord, I lift up those who would be caught up in the zealousness of your word and mistakenly judge those who are not sinning. Please open their eyes to see the freedom and truth that you died to bring them. I pray that these conservative Christians who probably mean well would see the light of your Word and truth that marijuana is no more a sin than alcohol, which you yourself partook in.
In Jesus' holy name, AMEN:prayer:

:cry:
LORD HAVE MERCY!

LORD HAVE MERCY!

LORD HAVE MERCY!
:cry:

ephraim

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2009
✟7,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul is clear that if your conscience condemns you then it is sin, otherwise, why should your liberty be judged by another man's conscience? 1 Cor 10:29

You also have to take into account the law of love. If your liberty causes another brother/sister to stumble then you are sinning.

What you allow is between you and God as you are free indeed, but being led by the spirit means having the discernement to know when and how to use that freedom.

This is the scriptural truth. Let us not cause our brother to stumble. However, this type of thread is not for those who are apt to stumble and therefore they should not be here. If they are healthy enough to receive His liberty, then so be it.

I find it is often the weaker of the brethren who are the quickest to judge others for their behaviour. It is they themselves who are most prone to succumb to doing the things they believe is wrong. Therefore they want everyone else to fall into line of their lifestyle code.

This is also known as "Legalism." Avoid the trap the Pharisees fell into.:kyaa:

I sure hope this legalistic mindset isn't the type of counseling street kids are getting nowadays...:cry:

Upvote 0

Basis_Vectors

Jan 19, 2010
✟15,178.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
MY FRIENDS,

Based upon having grown, sold, and smoked weed for approximately 25 years of my life, and based upon my relationship with my Lord/God/Savior/and Brother Jesus Christ, i know without a doubt that what is being presented on this Thread as "facts" are actually just lies and distortions of the adversary and 180 degrees away from the Truth.

Also based upon my personal experience as a cannabis user and with cannabis users, i know the futility of trying to convince them of the terrible spiritual error of what they are so intent on "enjoying."

THEREFORE, doing what can be done:

MY LORD, HAVE MERCY!

MY LORD, HAVE MERCY!

MY LORD, HAVE MERCY!​

Lord God, our ABBA, i pray for those who have been deceived by the lies of the evil one regarding the "safety" and "desireability" of smoking weed. Open the eyes of their Hearts and show them the Truth and speak to them regarding YOUR WILL in this matter.

i also, Lord God, ask you to protect the minds and Spirits of those who innocently read this Thread without knowledge or understanding and are tempted to practice the mind-and-Spirit-altering sin described therein. Speak to their Hearts and protect them from the alurements of the evil one.

i ASK THIS IN THE HOLY NAME OF MY LORD JESUS--Amen!

ephraim

I agree with you, but wow you make anyone that *thinks* about smoking it out to be a hell-bound spawn of satan -- at least that's how us pot-smoking sinners perceive it (/sarcasm :p)

For the pot/alcohol users that may believe/know it *is* a sin, but are addicted/using it for emotional therapy (and consequently become psychologically addicted,) what do you have to say that will help them?

I used to be a resident assistant in college. Most of the "addicts" get into it innocently, then are statically in it because it has sucked them in. I have seen it with recreational and especially prescription drugs.

Now, assume one is Christian and believes in Yeshua as Savior. How does one go from "what I am doing is a sin; I am a sinner" to "No more [addiction/pot/alcohol] sin!" The obvious answer would be to ask our Father, but what about the not-so-obvious faith-dependent things?

What is the stuff in between?

Upvote 0

Basis_Vectors

Jan 19, 2010
✟15,178.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is the scriptural truth. Let us not cause our brother to stumble. However, this type of thread is not for those who are apt to stumble and therefore they should not be here. If they are healthy enough to receive His liberty, then so be it.

I find it is often the weaker of the brethren who are the quickest to judge others for their behaviour. It is they themselves who are most prone to succumb to doing the things they believe is wrong. Therefore they want everyone else to fall into line of their lifestyle code.

This is also known as "Legalism." Avoid the trap the Pharisees fell into.:kyaa:

I sure hope this legalistic mindset isn't the type of counseling street kids are getting nowadays...:cry:

It's very slick because marijuana is natural unlike prescription drugs and cigarettes. Likewise, there is so much attached to marijuana not being an addictive substance, and the dichotomy of its "legality" and its "benefit" makes it even more of an attractive thing. But marijuana it is powerfully addictive psychologically: that is one thing most all marijuana users will tell you. My generation (18 - 35), and under, is probably bearing the brunt of the spiritual deception dished out by satan and his followers. I think everything that impairs you spiritually is a sin. Things used for divination is a sin. If you are smoking to see the future or gain enlightenment that is abominable in my opinion. If you are smoking to relieve stress, recreation (non-divinity,) or other "trivial" things I think it is a sin. It will become idolatry (e.g. addiction) soon if careless. If you smoke for medicinal purposes...that is the part I am uncertain about. This is only because if you smoke the other possibilities are still open. I would still choose another way if possible, although in Western medicine that is almost certainly going to include some sort of prescribed drug

Be careful brothers and sisters and encourage/help each other out. We are in a spiritual war, and earth is the main battlefield.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Nov 16, 2009
✟7,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think everything that impairs you spiritually is a sin.

The point that I, along with many other Christians around the globe, am making is marijuana does not impair you spiritually.

A lot of the myths made as counter-points here are completely debunked in other similar threads. Cannabis in itself is not sorcery (and it is not commonly used so.)

Like I wrote earlier -- I think if you are recovering from addiction to something -- it's polite and also healthy if you stay away from pointing fingers at others who didn't fall into the addiction like you did. Just because you can't drink alcohol, don't go preaching prohibition at bars.

/but I suspect some of us here are against Christians drinking alcohol as well... :doh:

Upvote 0

Basis_Vectors

Jan 19, 2010
✟15,178.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The point that I, along with many other Christians around the globe, am making is marijuana does not impair you spiritually.

A lot of the myths made as counter-points here are completely debunked in other similar threads. Cannabis in itself is not sorcery (and it is not commonly used so.)

Like I wrote earlier -- I think if you are recovering from addiction to something -- it's polite and also healthy if you stay away from pointing fingers at others who didn't fall into the addiction like you did. Just because you can't drink alcohol, don't go preaching prohibition at bars.

/but I suspect some of us here are against Christians drinking alcohol as well... :doh:

Hey, I wasn't pointing fingers, that is why I was careful to begin with "I think" or "in my opinion..." I was just giving my opinion.

I'm not addicted to anything and I never insinuated that, or that I don't drink.

I have had my own run-ins with sin like everyone, so I know a thing or two about spiritual struggle. Also, I used to counsel peers with similar struggle. All I was giving was my opinion.

I wouldn't to anyone about sin really unless they asked. I cannot possibly point a finger at anyone because obviously I am just as guilty as a sinner. However, if someone asks or if someone is in trouble then I will give my opinion. In this case I was just answering the OP's question.

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2009
✟7,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey, I wasn't pointing fingers, that is why I was careful to begin with "I think" or "in my opinion..." I was just giving my opinion.

Fair enough. I didn't mean to single you out over that, sorry.

I'm mostly posting in this thread for the benefit of other people who are reading this. I feel a responsibility to share the the truth as I believe God has revealed to me through scripture.

I've been approached by other Christians who have been ostracized by their fellowship because their lifestyle doesn't line up to the regiments from the pulpit.

I feel it's my duty as someone who has been liberated from non-issues (like eating and drinking) to let Christians know there are freedoms in Christ. And yet, there are two sides to every coin.

Smoking tobacco, drinking alcohol, smoking cannabis and other activities that captivate the frail human form can be destructive habits. They often are. I ask the reader of this thread to consider and analyze themselves. Are you living for yourself or others?

I certainly do not endorse abuse of any activity (internet use included. ;)) Cannabis can be abused. However, what it does have going for it is when used responsibly (i.e. not in excess,) it is less harmful than other legal drugs available to most people.

Did you know "in 2002, Americans filled 3,340,000,000 outpatient prescriptions.1 That's 12 prescriptions for every man, women, and child in America."

How many of those people do you think fill the pews of your local church? (I'm asking everyone to consider this.)

How many of these prescription users fill a deacon's position in your fellowship?

How many of these people could just as well throw away their doctor-prescribed drugs, suffer a bit of pain, etc for the sake of not "commiting a sin by polluting the temple of the Holy Spirit?" -- to quote another person in this thread.

"Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For by the standard you judge you will be judged, and the measure you use will be the measure you receive. Why do you see the speck in your brother’s eye, but fail to see the beam of wood in your own? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye,’ while there is a beam in your own? You hypocrite! First remove the beam from your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." - Matthew 7:1-5

How can we remove the beam from our own eye? That beam is pride and self-righteousness.

Upvote 0

Bain_Adaneth

Nov 14, 2003
cali~~*the golden state*~~
✟8,442.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If my friend has a cannabis card, which makes it legal in your state, is it a sin?

I feel that it is natural and God gave it to us. Why would God create it if it was not made for this purpose. Hemp and Marijuana are not the same plant either. Also if you use a vaporizer you cause your lungs zero harm. So is it still a sin? My heart feels that it is not?

What are your opinions?

Anything you do, think, or say that offends God.

Drinking is not a sin in itself, but being drunk is, because of what it does to you. Same thing for marijuana.

Also, someone said it is against federal law. And if it is against a law, that does not interfere with your faith...then the bible states you should follow the authorities' laws. So it is a sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No Christian, anywhere "around the globe" who is speaking with the spiritual authority of the Holy Spirit would ever tell anyone that "smoking marijuana does not impair you spiritually." This is a satanic lie! PERIOD.

MY DEAR FRIENDS AND THOSE NOT SO MUCH,

i have spoken the words i have been given to share and know well, from past experiences, that to continue this "dialogue"--i.e., argument--beyond what i was given to say would be counterproductive given that my anger against those who try to convince the gullible and inexperienced that marijuana usage has no negative consequences--spiritual or otherwise--and thus is without sin and suitable--yeah, perhaps even desirable--for ingestion by those seeking spiritual growth and oneness with God, would quickly manifest as unloving rhetoric--neither glorifying God nor bolstering in any meaningful way the Truth already shared.

So, if i may, let me close my participation in this Thread with a couple of Scriptures:

TO THOSE WITH OPEN HEARTS AND MINDS WHO ARE SEEKING THE TRUTH IN THIS MATTER OF THE SINFULNESS OF USING RECREATIONAL DRUGS TO ALTER CONSCIOUSNESS:
8 "Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping.
9 "Keep your guard up. You're not the only ones plunged into these hard times. It's the same with Christians all over the world. So keep a firm grip on the faith."
[1 Peter 5:8-9 (MSG)]

1 "But there were false prophets among the people, as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly put forward wrong teachings for your destruction, even turning away from the Lord who gave himself for them; whose destruction will come quickly, and they themselves will be the cause of it.".[2 Peter 2:1 (BBE)]

AND TO THOSE WHO, WITTINGLY OR UNWITTINGLY--IN KNOWLEDGE OR IN IGNORANCE--SPREAD LIES AND MISINFORMATION AMONG GOD'S CHILDREN, WHATEVER THEIR MOTIVATION:
7 "Woe to the world because of its stumbling blocks! For it is inevitable that stumbling blocks come; but woe to that man [or woman] through whom the stumbling block comes!"[Matthew 18:7 (NASB77)]

42 "And whosoever shall cause one of these little ones that believe on me to stumble, it were better for him if a great millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea."[Mark 9:42 (ASV)]

AND YES, IT IS MOST DEFINITELY A SIN TO SMOKE WEED!

please, Please, PLEASE, PLEASE talk to a person with spiritual wisdom and authority in your own Fellowship regarding this matter. This temptation of satan is real and is really serious--it can have eternal repercussions!

LOVE, PEACE, AND JOY TO THE PEOPLE OF GOD!

ephraim

P.S. To anyone who has already been caught in this trap, Google "Marijuana Anonymous"--help is available. God working through M. A. can get/keep you clean!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2009
✟7,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:wave:ephraimanesti,

I completely understand if you feel this topic is too much.

Actually, for anyone who might feel that certain things -- food or drink or whatnot -- would cause them to turn away from God -- please abstain.

However there are those who are not caught in the snares of heavy addiction. There are those of us who have been freed from such traps by the grace of our Lord -- while we are still in our human form.

Those who are not free from this are unable to see the possibilities in Christ -- and therefore quick to condemn. This thread is not for you. Nor is it for anyone who tends to lose control with food or drink.

One man’s faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. - Romans 14:2

However keep in mind what Paul instructed the church at Corinth:

“Everything is lawful,” but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is lawful,” but not everything builds others up. Do not seek your own good, but the good of the other person. Eat anything that is sold in the marketplace without questions of conscience, for
the earth and its abundance are the Lord’s. If an unbeliever invites you to dinner and you want to go, eat whatever is served without asking questions of conscience. But if someone says to you, “This is from a sacrifice,” do not eat, because of the one who told you and because of conscience – I do not mean yours but the other person’s. For why is my freedom being judged by another’s conscience? If I partake with thankfulness, why am I blamed for the food that I give thanks for? So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:23-30

I refuse to get angry at those who would judge my freedom simply because they don't have it. It is sad, though, that there are brothers and sisters who preach legalism which is only a shadow of the liberty Christ died to give us.

The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. - Romans 14:3

God has accepted me, brother. :thumbsup: Have you?

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2009
✟7,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
i want to change my life but i smoke weed and i cant.

Stop smoking weed, then. It's not hard. Try going to the gym and get active. Cycle, walk outside. Run. Use your body and anytime you think about smoking weed, change that thought to the pleasure of having a healthy body.

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
i want to change my life but i smoke weed and i cant.
MY DEAR BROTHER,

If you have repented of this sin as i had to do 20 years or so ago--and it sounds/feels to me that you have--God, through His indwelling Holy Spirit, will work with you to accomplish your becoming clean--mentally, physically, and most especially, spiritually--from all cannabis dependence and residual negative effects.

Marijuana Anonymous is a wonderful tool which God has used to deliver His children from this spiritual pollution. Google "Marijuana Anonymous" and will will be both able to gather more information about weed--what it does and how to get free from its allure--and also find support groups in your vicinity which you can use to help and guide you along the recovery path out of the darkness and back into God's light.

Anyone who tells you that this process of recovery is "easy" is either ignorant, a fool, or is setting you up for failure--it is not "easy" at all, but trust yourself to God's loving care--you and God together can do this!!!!!!

(Be aware, for example, that THC, because it is a fat-soluble drug, leaves your body very slowly, so physical detox from the drug can take a month or more if you have been smoking for a while. During this period, you will probably experience depression and anhedonia as a result of the detox, but IT WILL PASS! Just hang on and you will get through it in good shape. Talk to supportive experienced people during this process to help you get over the hard spots.)

Also, C. F. has a "RECOVERY FORUM" where you can get addition support, although you need to beware of "trolls" there. Check it out.

Please P.M. me if i can be of help or service to you. i have "been there" and "done that" so perhaps i can help you along your way as i myself was helped by others.

MAY GOD BLESS, KEEP, AND GUIDE YOU! STAND WITH HIM AND FOR HIM and He will deliver you!

ephraim

Upvote 0