Is it a sin to play rummy?

Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It has the word "Rum" in it which is an Alcoholic beverage and the Bible says don't even give the appearance of evil.

For those of you unfamilar with old school holiness pentecostalism, this was the way I was taught to think growing up and I imagine will be with me at some level for the rest of my life.

I downloaded a rummy game on my phone (which is very fun by the way) and I can't seem to get past the uneasy feeling it gives me because of its name.

Even if you were to tell me the game were named after saint rummy, or rummy was the original Greek name of one of the 12 disciples, it wouldn't help.

I won't even go into the feelings about this game being played with "playing cards" OHHHHH GASP!!!!!

Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sin? Hogwash..

Why would it be..?

Someone who sees or hears of you playing a game called rummy may think it has something to do with the alcoholic drink "Rum" which would in turn make it look like you were advocating Alcoholic drinks or even Alcoholism.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Same principle as eating meat sacrificed unto idols. If a weak person sees it as a sin, then your should abstain from it to avoid sinning against the conscience of a weaker brother.

Have a friend who was privately reprimanded by a senior pastor because he showed a video of a christian band in the youth group and the christian band mentioned that had influences from several rock groups.

Upvote 0

RevKidd

Simple Mans Theologian
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
✟9,180.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Boy what a mess your making out of something that isn't even an issue... It's like the game Rook. The Holiness people made their own version of Euchre, called Rook. Almost the exact same game...

And playing cards and using the "eating meat" scenario.. Not even close to the same context here. I just don't understand why this even an issue and a question.

We had a mens retreat and guess what we were playing... Texas hold'em. Hmm.. Not for money.. just for fun.

I think we swallowing the camel here and straining at the gnat.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Someone who sees or hears of you playing a game called rummy may think it has something to do with the alcoholic drink "Rum" which would in turn make it look like you were advocating Alcoholic drinks or even Alcoholism.

Yes, but they could always ask, rather than jump to conclusions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Boy what a mess your making out of something that isn't even an issue... It's like the game Rook. The Holiness people made their own version of Euchre, called Rook. Almost the exact same game...

And playing cards and using the "eating meat" scenario.. Not even close to the same context here. I just don't understand why this even an issue and a question.

We had a mens retreat and guess what we were playing... Texas hold'em. Hmm.. Not for money.. just for fun.

I think we swallowing the camel here and straining at the gnat.

What if someone who had a gambling addiction came to the retreat that you didn't know about and went home from the retreat and lost everything?

Upvote 0

Andy S. Wright

Hiding In Plain Sight
Jun 6, 2009
Texas
✟11,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll never forget my pastor's wife chastizing me for using a walkman while I was mowing the church grounds. She informed me that I was not abstaining from the appearance of evil in using my walkman. "After all," she told me, "Nobody knows what you're listening to. For all anyone knows you could be listening to rock music."

I informed her I was actually listening to the Cathedral quartet and followed up by stating I wasn't prepared to live a life of fear over what someone might think about what I'm doing.

She disagreed and made me take them off. Legalism, the gift that keeps on taking.

Reactions: gratefulgrace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is a sin for me because my wife beats me all the time and I should know better than to play her. However, spades is my game. I'm the king and nobody beats me.

Serves you right. You reap what you sow (or more accurately what you fail to discard)

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rev...I wasn't actually asking if it was a sin.

It was a rhetorical question. (here is another example of a rhetorical question Balance :))

Good job! Now that fits the definition of rhetorical!!

Of cource the question would be - how can you have a discussion when the question is rhetorical?

Upvote 0