LONDON
✟13,032.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
True it does, but if we carry God in us, and we take US away from those who don't know Him, who's going to model/represent/carry God for/to them?
Hmm, interesting conversation.
This is why the question of friendship is important.
We don't need to be friends to be a light to them.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
one thing that bothers me is how many Christians attacks people for being gay. You can say something is a sin but to make someone feel less than loved is not good way. Trying to make them less than feeling loved by God is wrong. I try to go with the path Jesus takes and befriend others. Not attack

I can see that. (Sorry in advance for the long post but it is a topic dear to me, and the thread title striked a cord)

Ive experienced on both end how attacked I was from Christians when I was in that life, but also how hateful LGBT people can be towards Christians. When I decided to fully follow Christ, no matter how nice, the LGBT people I once knew did NOT take a liking to it for the most part. No hatred is justified. And people are people no matter who or what goes on. So I can't sit down and just say that LGBT are victims and Christians are the villians of the story, not so black and white. People will find any reason to be spiteful, that is the broken nature of all of us, we are all in our hearts desperately wicked.

What I also tend to see is how much we dislike the harsh realities of the Word. Because as much as we should befriend others, as much as we love and should be loving towards LGBT, as long as the Word is alive, there will always be that barrier, and everyone have to make a decision whether or not they would sacrifice the acknowledgement of the Word over friendships in this life. When I was in it, part of the disloved i felt was because I knew I was in the wrong, I knew that this is the stance that Christianity and God have, and I cannot change or control it.That wasn't something that Christians attacked me, but off of my understanding of the Word and the relationship I had with God at the time. So sometimes people are at war with their own souls ,thats just God's convinction.

So I can imagine that sometimes we can get sidetrack by stating how evil people are,especially towards our own brothers and sisters. But lets not forget that the war isn't against people, its not a flesh and blood battle.That at the end of the day, people from you shouldn't just see you as some other friend, part of being a light is that you will expose the dark parts. Not everyone will want to be friends, no matter if you are nice, being nice doesn't make you that much better in God's eyes. Its really boils down to are you adhering to God's Word and will.

Just encouraging you that while you are being the light for others, that you do not quickly spite your brothers and sisters in Christ in the process. Very easy slippery slope. Show love to all you encounter, LGBT and Christians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I want to answer this question, which I didn't I just screamed at other Christians and told them that they were being hypocrites. I shouldn't have told people that they were hypocrites. That was wrong of me.

Ultimately we answer to God and I know that Christians will have different opinions about this. I still believe in the scriptures to what I wrote and what I said but that wasn't the question.

Do I think that Christians should be friends with gay people?

Well, I would like to talk about the things that I have witnessed and seen. Rosaria Butterfield became friends with a pastor before she became a Christian. That friendship ended up with Rosario surrendering her life to Jesus Christ. I also have seen my dad have healthy non-Christian friends who respected his beliefs and did not try to get him to compromise his beliefs. Many people were touched by my dad. He passed away July 1st 2019. My dad made plenty of friendships with Christians and non-Christians alike. And he was a light to the non-Christians. He was not afraid to share with them the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He was able to have a civil discord with non-Christians and remain friends with them.

People will constantly say that bad company corrupts good character but are you sure that every single non-Christian that you meet are going to be bad company. Non-christians that my dad dealt with were people that were volunteer firefighters. They didn't go to clubs. They didn't go to bars and get drunk. Some were married and some were not. they were mature adults that did mature things and know they did not try to get my dad to compromise his beliefs. So yes, I do believe that Christians can be friends with non-Christians. I have seen my dad make a huge difference in non-Christians lives just by being their friend. And yes, that includes even gay people. we invited somebody into our house and home who happened to be gay when I was a child. He did not try to get us to approve of his lifestyle or try to get to accept homosexuality. He basically kept his lifestyle to himself.

I understand that a lot of people will bring up the whole thing of gays do this and they try to get us to accept their lifestyles, but not every single gay person does that. The problem is is when we start blaming innocent gays, not Innocent in the fact that they have no sin, but innocent in the fact that they've never sued Christians or gone the after children.that would be like people blaming all Christians for what the Westboro Baptist Church has done.

Whether you see it or not, Christians have attacked other people who have struggled with same-sex attraction and yes they have force their beliefs upon them. Should you be blamed for any of that? Of course you shouldn't be blamed for it, nor should your congregation be blamed for it. But it has happened.

I am somebody who has struggled with same-sex attraction since I was very young. I have gone to Christians, not to try to get them to approve of any kind of lifestyle, but because I was looking for Grace and Truth. I have been attacked by other Christians because of my struggles. I have been told well you deserve death and hell. If it wasn't illegal the church would have to Stone you to death. It is true I do deserve death. I recognize that. But whether you see it or not, people who call themselves Christians can be very hateful, not because they speak the truth, but because of the way they do so.

I understand that there is an agenda out there and there is a lot of gays who are trying to push their agenda on the church and on the children. But that's just not the gays, it is also the heterosexuals who are pushing that same agenda on to the children, if you haven't noticed. Most gays are actually not doing that because they don't care about gay marriages and they don't care about adopting children. Most of them just want to go to clubs and party and yes have sex. It's a small minority group that is actually doing that. But unfortunately, they get blamed for what the activists does. I know this because I have been blamed for what they have done. And I have never done any of a sort.

I am just saying

• Useful
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So yes, I do believe that Christians can be friends with non-Christians. I have seen my dad make a huge difference in non-Christians lives just by being their friend. And yes, that includes even gay people. we invited somebody into our house and home who happened to be gay when I was a child. He did not try to get us to approve of his lifestyle or try to get to accept homosexuality. He basically kept his lifestyle to himself.
What if that homosexuality (or drunkenness, or lying, or murder or adultery etc) is a spirit?
What if that's why God says not to keep company with anyone who claims to be a brother, yet continues to engage in above?
I mean, Scritpure says He did not give us that "SPIRIT" of fear. So if I'm very fearful all the time, do I then have a "spirit of fear"?
Are there dark spiritual forces?
If so, how would they operate?
Would they try to get me to sin?
Try to ruin my life?
Try to confuse me?

I understand that a lot of people will bring up the whole thing of gays do this and they try to get us to accept their lifestyles, but not every single gay person does that. The problem is is when we start blaming innocent gays, not Innocent in the fact that they have no sin, but innocent in the fact that they've never sued Christians or gone the after children.that would be like people blaming all Christians for what the Westboro Baptist Church has done.
It's not our place to condemn anyone ever.

Whether you see it or not, Christians have attacked other people who have struggled
with same-sex attraction and yes they have force their beliefs upon them. Should you be blamed for any of that? Of course you shouldn't be blamed for it, nor should your congregation be blamed for it. But it has happened.
It's very unfortunate that we have so many immature, carnal Christians walking around posing as messengers of God :/

I am somebody who has struggled with same-sex attraction since I was very young. I have gone to Christians, not to try to get them to approve of any kind of lifestyle, but because I was looking for Grace and Truth. I have been attacked by other Christians because of my struggles. I have been told well you deserve death and hell. If it wasn't illegal the church would have to Stone you to death. It is true I do deserve death. I recognize that. But whether you see it or not, people who call themselves Christians can be very hateful, not because they speak the truth, but because of the way they do so.
We all deserve death, but... Jesus <3
They're out of line for saying such things to you!
Jesus would tell you, "Come, let me help you, my son"
Any response not given in that same spirit is wrong IMO
and you should run from.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is why the question of friendship is important.
We don't need to be friends to be a light to them.
amen.
I responded a couple days ago and evidently someone thought I was saying "duh" to you. I was saying "duh" to me.
the post is gone but my point was, yes i agree with you.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What if that homosexuality (or drunkenness, or lying, or murder or adultery etc) is a spirit?
What if that's why God says not to keep company with anyone who claims to be a brother, yet continues to engage in above?
I mean, Scritpure says He did not give us that "SPIRIT" of fear. So if I'm very fearful all the time, do I then have a "spirit of fear"?
Are there dark spiritual forces?
If so, how would they operate?
Would they try to get me to sin?
Try to ruin my life?
Try to confuse me?

It's not our place to condemn anyone ever.

Whether you see it or not, Christians have attacked other people who have struggled
It's very unfortunate that we have so many immature, carnal Christians walking around posing as messengers of God :/

We all deserve death, but... Jesus <3
They're out of line for saying such things to you!
Jesus would tell you, "Come, let me help you, my son"
Any response not given in that same spirit is wrong IMO
and you should run from.

I understand what you are saying. Thank you very much for speaking truth and Grace to me. And what you are saying makes sense. I'm not going to pretend that I know everything because like my icon says I am a Christian seeker, so I don't really know everything. I am here to seek the truth. So, thank you very much.

• Friendly
Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

MasterYourLife

Jun 26, 2019
LONDON
✟13,032.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
As easily as a bad song gets stuck in your head, even more so a bad character will adhere to your soul.

Jesus was able to surround himself with sinners, because He was perfect. No one and nothing could cause Him to sin.

Many Christians are weak in faith and surrounding yourself with bad influences should be your last priority as a Christian.

Jesus wasn't surrounded by sinners in order to hang out with them. The only reason He presented himself to them was to teach God's law. He came to do his Father's will, and the Father's will was not to have a good time with the sinners. That's a poor argument for this topic.

In fact, many Christians I know are too afraid to speak of God, and when they do, it's vague religious identification.

So if you sin, and your friends sin, and they know you're a nominal Christian. Then how can you be a light? What if your friend does even more good works than you? What distinguishes you from the unbeliever? You mentioned you know some Jesus, but other than that you're both equal in the sight of your friends.

Be holy -- set apart.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I understand what you are saying. Thank you very much for speaking truth and Grace to me. And what you are saying makes sense. I'm not going to pretend that I know everything because like my icon says I am a Christian seeker, so I don't really know everything. I am here to seek the truth. So, thank you very much.
Oh wow, i don't know everything either, not even half of everything :D i'm thinking you must have the Spirit of truth or you wouldn't even want to seek truth. And i shouldn't even be surmising about what you do or don't have, since ... "If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;..."
So now i dare not speak lol.
Introverted, we all have to fight the good fight of faith, we all get tricked and attacked of the enemy. Look at Paul, he overcame so much. You and I can do it too! Keep seeking God. He loves you and wants you to be free and filled with joy.
That's why He hates sin.. it was designed to hurt us.
He loves us.
We sometimes get so tricked and confused. And He can free us with one word
or thought.
Why then, some might say, doesn't He just relieve me of this?
Well He did. On the cross He did redeem us. But then He sat down.
So.. (I speak to you as someone who may or may not know all this,
forgive me if i sound condescending. I mean only to share my understanding)
So.. He came and overcame and then gave us the authority and "Sat down".
So as we seek His ways and learn to walk in that "power" for overcoming all of the
lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, pride of life and many other darts tossed at us, designed to kill steal and destroy us, we grow stronger in Him and on and on as we're being perfected and equipped to then go help equip others for the perfecting of the saints for the work of the ministry...
But seriously, just as things look better in the morning, you will look back on this day and smile and praise God for the beautiful work He's accomplished in your life.
He truly does make all things beautiful!

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesus wasn't surrounded by sinners in order to hang out with them. The only reason He presented himself to them was to teach God's law. He came to do his Father's will, and the Father's will was not to have a good time with the sinners. That's a poor argument for this topic.
word :holy:
Just for clarity's sake. Did someone suggest that Jesus hung with sinners to have a good time?

In fact, many Christians I know are too afraid to speak of God, and when they do, it's vague religious identification.
We're all at different stages and levels in our walk/life, so that would be a given.
And some who call themselves Christians are not born again.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
word :holy:
Just for clarity's sake. Did someone suggest that Jesus hung with sinners to have a good time?

I think the word "hang" implied that He just wanted a grand ol time. Listen, Jesus was NOT a hippie God, He called them sick people, lol. The ultra nice christian should try describing their nice LGBTQ friends "sick" in front of them and see what reaction they are going to give you, lol.

He came with a sword not a kum-ba-ya.

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Oh wow, i don't know everything either, not even half of everything :D i'm thinking you must have the Spirit of truth or you wouldn't even want to seek truth. And i shouldn't even be surmising about what you do or don't have, since ... "If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;..."
So now i dare not speak lol.
Introverted, we all have to fight the good fight of faith, we all get tricked and attacked of the enemy. Look at Paul, he overcame so much. You and I can do it too! Keep seeking God. He loves you and wants you to be free and filled with joy.
That's why He hates sin.. it was designed to hurt us.
He loves us.
We sometimes get so tricked and confused. And He can free us with one word
or thought.
Why then, some might say, doesn't He just relieve me of this?
Well He did. On the cross He did redeem us. But then He sat down.
So.. (I speak to you as someone who may or may not know all this,
forgive me if i sound condescending. I mean only to share my understanding)
So.. He came and overcame and then gave us the authority and "Sat down".
So as we seek His ways and learn to walk in that "power" for overcoming all of the
lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, pride of life and many other darts tossed at us, designed to kill steal and destroy us, we grow stronger in Him and on and on as we're being perfected and equipped to then go help equip others for the perfecting of the saints for the work of the ministry...
But seriously, just as things look better in the morning, you will look back on this day and smile and praise God for the beautiful work He's accomplished in your life.
He truly does make all things beautiful!

I didn't notice if you were being condescending or not. But if you were, that is okay. I was kind of angry when I said what I said. So, I hope you can forgive me for my angry rant. That is not what I meant to do. But I was a bit angry, so I don't think I was operating in the right spirit. So for that I am truly sorry.

I know that the majority of Christians do not want to hurt anyone, including the lgbtq people. I know that Christians speak out of love when they say something is sinful. Love speaks the truth.

Thank you very much for your comments. You gave me things to think about.

• Useful
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
one thing that bothers me is how many Christians attacks people for being gay. You can say something is a sin but to make someone feel less than loved is not good way. Trying to make them less than feeling loved by God is wrong. I try to go with the path Jesus takes and befriend others. Not attack
I am not sure why you choose that title but based on this post its not even a question to you so i am not even going to answer it. I agree with your overall sentiment. As christians we need to do a better job at creating an environment where gay people feel they can reach out or come into our company for help. Having said that, there is a climate now where the world is pushing that homosexuality is okay. So Christians do need to push back against this but do it in a way to not burn bridges and something that is a hard balance to strike.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I didn't notice if you were being condescending or not. But if you were, that is okay.
No, i was not trying to be at all.
I was sincere.

I was kind of angry when I said what I said. So, I hope you can forgive me for my angry rant. That is not what I meant to do. But I was a bit angry, so I don't think I was operating in the right spirit. So for that I am truly sorry.
I was unaware of the anger, but i can understand how you'd be angry about this.
You're forgiven.

I know that the majority of Christians do not want to hurt anyone, including the lgbtq people. I know that Christians speak out of love when they say something is sinful. Love speaks the truth.
Indeed. it's a very hard subject but once that light bulb goes off, the sky is the limit,
because God is so so powerful.
He loves us so.
he's so jealous for our love.
Just wants to be close to us.
God bless you in your journey.
Peace and grace to you.

Thank you very much for your comments. You gave me things to think about.
Wishing you joy

Upvote 0