Visit site
✟7,938.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't feel like getting into the nasty of this, so let's get distracted by something. In the time of when the Law was written... what was the difference between the clothes men wore and what women wore. Any time I think back on it, I see images of men in stark, drab robes with belts and maybe something covering their hair... and women in stark, drab robes with belts and maybe something covering their hair.
Yes, but where did those images come from? Probably more from Hollywood and imaginative art then archeology.
The fact is we have almost no information on what the ancient Midianites wore and only fragmentary information about the Canaanites. We do however; have significant (though hardly conclusive) information on what the Egyptians of this time wore. It seems middleclass males largely wore garments fairly similar to Bermuda shorts, or the traditional “loincloth” they may have also worn robes of various lengths depending on their rank and activity. Women seem to have primarily worn gowns, not robes (that is when they wore anything besides jewelry, which does not necessarily seem to have been that often).

Upvote 0

paladin_carvin

Apr 30, 2006
Stewartsville, NJ
✟15,647.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but where did those images come from? Probably more from Hollywood and imaginative art then archeology.
The fact is we have almost no information on what the ancient Midianites wore and only fragmentary information about the Canaanites. We do however; have significant (though hardly conclusive) information on what the Egyptians of this time wore. It seems middleclass males largely wore garments fairly similar to Bermuda shorts, or the traditional “loincloth” they may have also worn robes of various lengths depending on their rank and activity. Women seem to have primarily worn gowns, not robes (that is when they wore anything besides jewelry, which does not necessarily seem to have been that often).
Oh, I wasnt' trying to pretend I knew. I am just going by the pictures they always put with Bible verses and the like. What is the difference between a gown and a robe? (I'm no fashion expert...)

Upvote 0

Tpolg

Oct 20, 2006
Visit site
✟7,938.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Gowns only open to the waist, while robes open all the way. This can be sexually significant, because a woman needs to have access to her breasts so she can nurse her children, but has no reason for it to go any further. A man on the other hand finds it much more convenient, when he needs to relieve himself, if he is wearing robe rather then a gown. Robes, however, have been pretty much universally accepted as a somewhat unisex garment, probably because they are quite versatile (and no doubt Egyptian and Israelite women wore them at lest some). It is the britches/pants and gowns that are usually gender specific. Of course in modern times the distinction between gowns and robes has been blurred by the use of zippers and other integrated fastening devices.

Upvote 0

paladin_carvin

Apr 30, 2006
Stewartsville, NJ
✟15,647.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I personally wear kilts and skirts, but this is because it's more practical. I don't quite understand why the gender with more.... well, you get the idea- is supposed to wear more constricting clothing. That to me seems like genders wearing the wrong stuff...

I don't really want to say much more. I get into too many wars on this site, I don't feel like getting into one here...

Upvote 0

Tpolg

Oct 20, 2006
Visit site
✟7,938.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I doubt God was referring to kilts when He said “neither shall a man wear a women’s clothes” since most ancient cultures wore some kind skirt like garment or armor into battle, and probably the Israelites did as well. And I do not think you could consider battle to be an unmanly activity. The exact difference between a kilt and a dress I suppose could be debated, but given the rampant, blatant transvestitism among women in our culture, I would say this is probably not a high priority.

Upvote 0

paladin_carvin

Apr 30, 2006
Stewartsville, NJ
✟15,647.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I doubt God was referring to kilts when He said “neither shall a man wear a women’s clothes” since most ancient cultures wore some kind skirt like garment or armor into battle, and probably the Israelites did as well. And I do not think you could consider battle to be an unmanly activity. The exact difference between a kilt and a dress I suppose could be debated, but given the rampant, blatant transvestitism among women in our culture, I would say this is probably not a high priority.
I know it's not meant to be funny, but I chuckled a bit reading 'rampant, blatant transcestitism among women'. I'm not saying it's not true... it just sounds funny to me.

(This post has no value to the conversation :D )

Upvote 0

lilymarie

The love of heaven makes one heavenly -Shakespeare
Jun 15, 2006
In the here and now
✟12,370.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hum, no.:confused:
But can trousers protect you? No.
Can cutting your hair protect you? No.
Can righteous indignation protect you? No.
Can God protect you? Yes!
In Him is my trust.:)

A women couldn't be protected in a dress in those days around men.

A women still can't be protected today, even if she's wearing a dress.

Trust me, I've been raped by sicko men more times than I'd ever need to remember.

Anyhow, sorry I did a double post regarding Joan of Arc as this is such an old thread that I didn't even realize I posted in it already, and I am not catholic, btw.

I was just reiterating "history" or "herstory".

I still see no point in men wearing feminine clothes?

Perhaps male prostitutes dressed that way in ancient times? Perhaps they adorned themselves like women or something? I really have no idea exactly what they were wearing.

But, I'm sure it could be researched on the net, once one weeds through all these endless websites and weeds through all the junk websites on the net.

Upvote 0

Nienor

why so serious
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
✟29,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
But I likes wearing my pants :(

:p

What gets confusing for me is when guys tell me I'm doing good by wearing guy's shorts because they're more modest and turn around and blast crossdressing...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yody

Jun 27, 2005
San Juan, Puerto Rico
✟2,988.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Just a bit curious Tplog-What does the bible say in respects to this, that you say Im wrong-I hope you dont mean Deut whatever-That would be the old covenant wich really has no ground(or we could be talking about not eating pork and lost of other stuff)

Upvote 0

Tpolg

Oct 20, 2006
Visit site
✟7,938.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, Acts 15:20 does apply to every one. Now whether Deuteronomy 22:5 falls under the broad term of "inappropriate contentia" (fornication) or not is debatable, but lets stick with your original statement. You typed, "Guys just need to stick to guy clothes", on what grounds do you make this statement?
If Deuteronomy 22:5 applies, it applies to both males and females, if it does not apply, then it applies to neither males nor females, therefore your statement is illogical.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tpolg

Oct 20, 2006
Visit site
✟7,938.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Oh, I see, it is the elastic verse compaction. It is a fun game and anyone can play.
Well let’s see, the Apostolic Writings (what you call “The New Testament”) also say, women should adorn themselves in a manner, which becomes women professing godliness. So obviously women are to dress like women!:idea:

PS It is good not to eat pork, but I am not here to proselytize.;)

Upvote 0

gwdboi

Oct 30, 2006
Greenwood, SC
Visit site
✟8,224.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
can any one tell me is it a sin to be a crossdresser?

To simply put it, no.

I really don't think God cares about our clothing. So long as it doesn't come off in the wrong situation... if you follow me.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The issue's not that clear-cut, though. For one thing, even if you take 'nor effeminate' to mean directly that men should never dress as women, there's still the whole issue of women dressing as men. If that's somewhow less 'sinful, then why?
Deuteronomy 22:5 seems to make it pretty clear:

Deu 22:5 "A woman shall not wear a man's garment, nor shall a man put on a woman's cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD your God.

Upvote 0