Is It a Sin for Christian Partners to Be Touching Before Marriage?

R

Relying

So I'm 18. I haven't ever had a real boyfriend and suddenly now I do. I'm about to go to college away from home (and him) for a while (obviously you know college). But I really just wanted to take a chance with this guy, I don't really think that it's going to be something forever. But I really just want to have a chance, I really appreciate this male presence in my life (my dad died when I was young and the only other prevalent males in my life have been my sports coaches).

Now let's be clear. I know sex before marriage is wrong and I know that that is NOT going to happen. I know anything oral ([bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]) is wrong and that is NOT going to happen. I know certain kinds of touching (like naked touching, fingering, handjobs) are wrong and that is NOT going to happen. And I'm not worried about that. Even when my hormones are raging I have enough wherewithal to put up THOSE boundaries.

The problem is I don't want to do anything wrong even though I realllly like him and I am reaallly attractive to him. We make out, and I don't think kissing is wrong, even if there's lots of it. It's just, he can get handsy. What does the bible say if he touches my butt (through my clothes)? My breasts(through my clothes)? (I know down there is off limits). Are hickey's okay?

I may get aroused when we make out but I just tell him that and then we stop and he just sit there and hold hands and talk. I already told him explicitly that the most I'll do is make out and some touching (always on top of the clothes and never below the belt). I'm asking, hopefully from so older Christians with more experience in these sort of things. Have I set up good boundaries? Do I need to push the line further back? Please advice, experience, regrets, scriptures, and lengthy replies are alllllll welcome. I've been sooooo good with not doing sexual things (except much some much regretted sexting that I will NEVER do again and habitual inappropriate content watching THAT I'M TOTALLY WORKING ON BREAKING) but as far as actual physical sexual things like.....the most I've done is with this guy: kissing and some touching.

ProudMomxmany

slightly insane mom of many
Jul 6, 2013
✟17,163.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is where you get in trouble...the "making out" gets you all fired up and then you have to try to "turn it off". I strongly suggest that you STOP what you're doing right now before your hormones get carried away. While I'm not one of these "purity freaks", I do think that perhaps its not a great idea to get physical right now. You and he need time to get to know each other, without the physical intimacy. The physical attraction can severely color your judgement.

Is the boyfriend a Christian? If so, you need to explain to him that what you're doing has to stop because it's not right.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi

Welcome to the joys and tensions pf male/female relationships. Some brief points

a) 18 and beginning college... Marriage is not just around the corner
b) Relationships are progressive. Boundaries set now may or may not survive continued intimacy. There is very often a progression.
c) Intimacy is sexually arousing especially for hormone activated youngsters. That will introduce pressures for both of you, not necessarily contemporaneously.
d) The only really satisfying outcome of heightened sexual arousal is sexual release of some kind. c and d often result in boundary adjustments over time. And sexually aroused curious guys can be persistent.
e) You are aware of your sexuality. That can become an inner drive in some situations. Brian and body don't always co-ordinate in the sexual area.

All of which I place within a bigger context. Youth is the time to learn, explore and develop values and learn lessons of life that will give a solid foundation for later. I advocate young people developing good social relationships with both genders. Its a time for learning about yourself and the other gender. When sexual arousal arrives too early it can interfere with other important issues for long term relationships, giving a false sense of real intimacy, which is far more complex.

You get my drift?

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
With your history of inappropriate content use I wouldn't recommend kissing. I can't really advise you but there is a women only section and this may be more appropriate there.

I think touching is a bit too far and it probably gives the guy some false hope.

If you don't see a future with a guy I don't think you should date him.

I don't think you should be alone with him.

Since you have been exposed to sex IE inappropriate content I think you should be more cautious then most. It kinda shows a sexual temptation that you have, I have a temper so I have to stay away from people that will tick me off the more I work on it the easier it is to be around jerks.

My wife and I dated for awhile I met her summer of my freshmen year, we waited to have sex. She was a virgin I was not we did kiss and we cuddled but nothing more then that because I respected her. She never told me she believed in sex after marriage only, it wasn't until I went to the Doctor with her that I found out she was a certified Virgin and she had no sexual history. It was just based on the fact I thought she was to good of a woman that I shouldn't try to take advantage and disrespect her body.

Upvote 0
R

Relying

No my boyfriend is not a Christian-hence why I doubt it will last. I dunno why but I seem to always be attracted to/attract non-Christians. I know he doesn't share the same views as me as far as sex but the last time I saw him I made my intentions clear. So that the next time, I know he knows and I know he knows where he should stop. You guys are making good points. I have been being careful, I know that "where the mind goes the flesh follows" and I've been working on NOT dwelling on what I would like to do with him, and I've actually been doing a pretty good job (watching Joyce Meyer and thinking about her advice instead).

So the general consensus, is that I should not be making out with him, so we should slow that down. And try and not be alone. I'm going to college in just a few days, and so we won't be physically close to be physically intimate I feel like as long as when I come back we don't do anything extreme this'll give the relationship time to develop emotionally and I should be fine, right? What am I supposed to do when I really long for/desire (and have for years) being some kind of intimate with a guy? It's like that's finally here and I can't even have it...

Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your physical contact should never outgrow your emotional and spiritual contact. If you feel your relationship has matured enough to allow caressing, then go for it. But only when you feel completely ready. It is a very, very, very, very, very slippery slope. You'll wake up one morning in bed with him and wonder how you got there and regretting every mistaken feeling, or loving where you relationship is, where it has been, and where it is going. What conclusion comes is up to you. Don't be hasty, but no need to constantly question your every move.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No my boyfriend is not a Christian-hence why I doubt it will last.

Thus care needed

So the general consensus, is that I should not be making out with him, so we should slow that down. And try and not be alone. I'm going to college in just a few days, and so we won't be physically close to be physically intimate I feel like as long as when I come back we don't do anything extreme this'll give the relationship time to develop emotionally and I should be fine, right?

A pause will give both of you opportunity for assessment.

What am I supposed to do when I really long for/desire (and have for years) being some kind of intimate with a guy? It's like that's finally here and I can't even have it...

I suspect dad is in that in some way - affirmation and acceptance from a male who cares for you.

Bless you
John
NZ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

intojoy

Jun 26, 2013
✟2,069.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Relying said:
So I'm 18. I haven't ever had a real boyfriend and suddenly now I do. I'm about to go to college away from home (and him) for a while (obviously you know college). But I really just wanted to take a chance with this guy, I don't really think that it's going to be something forever. But I really just want to have a chance, I really appreciate this male presence in my life (my dad died when I was young and the only other prevalent males in my life have been my sports coaches).

Now let's be clear. I know sex before marriage is wrong and I know that that is NOT going to happen. I know anything oral ([bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]) is wrong and that is NOT going to happen. I know certain kinds of touching (like naked touching, fingering, handjobs) are wrong and that is NOT going to happen. And I'm not worried about that. Even when my hormones are raging I have enough wherewithal to put up THOSE boundaries.

The problem is I don't want to do anything wrong even though I realllly like him and I am reaallly attractive to him. We make out, and I don't think kissing is wrong, even if there's lots of it. It's just, he can get handsy. Is it wrong if he touches my butt (through my clothes)? My breasts(through my clothes)? (I know down there is off limits). Are hickey's okay?

I may get aroused when we make out but I just tell him that and then we stop and he just sit there and hold hands and talk. I already told him explicitly that the most I'll do is make out and some touching (always on top of the clothes and never below the belt). I'm asking, hopefully from so older Christians with more experience in these sort of things. Have I set up good boundaries? Do I need to push the line further back? Please advice, experience, regrets, scriptures, and lengthy replies are alllllll welcome. I've been sooooo good with not doing sexual things (except much some much regretted sexting that I will NEVER do again and habitual inappropriate content watching THAT I'M TOTALLY WORKING ON BREAKING) but as far as actual physical sexual things like.....the most I've done is with this guy: kissing and some touching.

Get it straight - he's a boy toy. Marriage is about loving someone. That doesn't mean pretending you're married so that you can do the things that are done between spouses (intimacy). Do not consider this guy as a future husband, the bible forbids it. Marrying an unbeliever is a sin. It's forgivable but you will live with the consequences. Continue to hold out for a Christian man, do it for your pops. You're very young, be patient, find a way to serve The Lord so that your mind is not distracted, so that you are not enticed as James chapter one teaches.
You are a grown up now, you must choose to serve God (Romans 12). If you don't decide to do this you will continue to struggle with lust, the freedom from sexual lasciviousness is not in will power as you already have found out, it is in the gifts of the Holy Spirit that God gives each one of us to serve with. You have a place in the building of the Body of Messiah, you've been equipped to serve, to build. What gift do you have? Teaching? Mercy? Knowledge? Etc etc. if we don't know what gifts we have, it's because we haven't thought it important enough to know. Use your gifts for the building up of the Body of Christ (Ephesians). If you don't make this move now as you enter adulthood, you will be a servant of yourself and be left to rely on your will power to overcome this temptation. Trust me, pray about what gifts you have and look for opportunities to use them. If you do you will find true joy and true happiness and you will become the kind of woman that will bless the Christian man who needs you to be his completion. Good luck with this dear one.

In Messiah,
Joy

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The problem is I don't want to do anything wrong even though I realllly like him and I am reaallly attractive to him. We make out, and I don't think kissing is wrong, even if there's lots of it. It's just, he can get handsy. Is it wrong if he touches my butt (through my clothes)? My breasts(through my clothes)? (I know down there is off limits). Are hickey's okay?

My first impression is that it's very odd that a young girl who's never even had a boyfriend knows all these sexual terms and activities ("[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]"? really?). Is there something here that you're not telling us?

You've got some serious issues going on here, hon. You admit that you're addicted to inappropriate content. You've "sexted". You already find yourself having to stop your activities with your b/f because the two of you are getting too excited. I'm thinking that you may be too young, a little too immature and impulsive, to handle a serious relationship. I'm not insulting you when I say that! I was the same way, very impulsive, very passionate, and got myself into LOTS of trouble because of it. I know what it's like to want a relationship so badly that you think you just can't exist without it; especially if you lost your dad (mine was abusive), we girls will just agonize over not having a male figure in our lives. What I can tell you is that you CAN have a life without a guy in it. You can focus on becoming the young woman God wants you to be, finding your dreams, and making them reality. Men will always be around, and the realities of relationships and marriage are not the sparkly, fluffy ideals that we have when we're 18 lol. Leave the serious stuff for later, you're YOUNG! You're still a kid in many ways. Enjoy your life, enjoy being young and free to shape your life in any way you want! Most importantly, use this time to develop your relationship with God. He's the only one who can help you with things like self control, being content with singleness, overcoming temptations, and learning what you have to offer a man, and what you need from one. A relationship is so much more than just hanging out, having fun, and making out behind closed doors.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My first impression is that it's very odd that a young girl who's never even had a boyfriend knows all these sexual terms and activities ("[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]"? really?). Is there something here that you're not telling us?

You've got some serious issues going on here, hon. You admit that you're addicted to inappropriate content. You've "sexted". You already find yourself having to stop your activities with your b/f because the two of you are getting too excited. I'm thinking that you may be too young, a little too immature and impulsive, to handle a serious relationship. I'm not insulting you when I say that! I was the same way, very impulsive, very passionate, and got myself into LOTS of trouble because of it. I know what it's like to want a relationship so badly that you think you just can't exist without it; especially if you lost your dad (mine was abusive), we girls will just agonize over not having a male figure in our lives. What I can tell you is that you CAN have a life without a guy in it. You can focus on becoming the young woman God wants you to be, finding your dreams, and making them reality. Men will always be around, and the realities of relationships and marriage are not the sparkly, fluffy ideals that we have when we're 18 lol. Leave the serious stuff for later, you're YOUNG! You're still a kid in many ways. Enjoy your life, enjoy being young and free to shape your life in any way you want! Most importantly, use this time to develop your relationship with God. He's the only one who can help you with things like self control, being content with singleness, overcoming temptations, and learning what you have to offer a man, and what you need from one. A relationship is so much more than just hanging out, having fun, and making out behind closed doors.
Just to be fair at 18 I knew those words there is sex ed and parents are more open not to mention tv.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheyCallMeDavid

May 13, 2013
Florida
✟4,108.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hello. Thanks for sharing with us. Its kinda exciting to have feelings for someone of the opposite sex and vice versa. We ALL want to be loved to some extent so that is quite natural .

Im going to assume you have made a genuine commitment to Christ and desire to live for him by making him Lord of your life ??? If so, then you will want to be very sure that the boy/man you choose to have as a dating partner IS that way also. The indicator will be his FRUIT , whether good or bad so pay close attention .

I strong suggest this easy to read book written just for young adults and teens. Why not obtain a used copy for a mere $.08 plus shipping ? : Too Close Too Soon: Avoiding the Heartache of Premature Intimacy: Jim A. Talley, Bobbie Reed: 9780785264743: Amazon.com: Books. Ive read it and its a great christian book on how a relationship should progress while keeping it honorable to God. It sure gave me insight.

Lastly, if youre going to engage in heavy kissing, you may be able to keep things in control but with a Teen Boy, his testosterone level is much higher than yours and he will get aroused. Plus, each event will push you toward going further and further for a new and exciting experience. Thats the troulbe with intimate kissing...even if our Mass Media pretends its common, expected, and low on the totem pole. It isnt...its like gasoline near a fire. Further, there is a very good chance that the Boy you are with is a Follower of our illicit sexualized Culture even if he goes to church because our Culture has such a tremendous influence on grooming guys to be sexual perannahs and women being sexually permissive (Tramps) .. thats just the way our American Society is and it will only become worse. So, at least now you know the score on this issue.

Any followup questions that you may have ?? Thanks.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God commands us in His Word to place strict boundaries around our sexuality for our sakes, not His. The best, healthiest, and most fulfilling sexual activity is experienced only within the confines of marriage. God knows this; it is how He made things to be, which is why it is really important that you do things His way in the matter of physical intimacy.

To be frank, you have the cart way ahead of the horse in your relationship with this young man. If he's not a believer, he is taking his cue concerning sexuality from the World and this means he expects to go all the way with you, sooner or later. He doesn't have the inner check of God's Spirit helping to reign in his lust, which makes your play at the edges of full-on sexual intimacy very, very risky. You see, this young man is not your ally in honoring the commands of God regarding sex. If you let him, I'm sure he'd be "hitting a home run" with you today. He doesn't know the Lord and the culture in which he lives tells him almost daily that at his age he should be having sex as often as possible.

You have your own issues with sex. Certainly, if you've been making a diet of inappropriate content, your ideas about sexuality are warped. By looking at inappropriate content you've also opened a door into your life through which Satan will enter and begin to root his destructive lies in the soil of your mind and heart. Consequently, you are something of a powder keg, primed to explode by the devil via inappropriate content and your own youthful hormones. Every time you mess around physically with your boyfriend you shower sparks upon a condition just hair-trigger ready to ignite. Watch out!

If you end up having sex outside of marriage, you will have forever ruined the sexual experience God intended you should have only on your wedding night. Illicit sexual intercourse will bind you to this young man in a way God designed should occur only between a husband and wife. The joy and intimacy of sex that God has ordained should be an expression of commitment, and love, and spiritual unity between a married couple will be lost in the darkness of mere lust. What's more, you will have broken your fellowship with God, grieved the Holy Spirit, and invited the death of sin into your life.

1 Corinthians 6:18-20
18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.
19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?
20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.

Selah.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDavid

May 13, 2013
Florida
✟4,108.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God commands us in His Word to place strict boundaries around our sexuality for our sakes, not His. The best, healthiest, and most fulfilling sexual activity is experienced only within the confines of marriage. God knows this; it is how He made things to be, which is why it is really important that you do things His way in the matter of physical intimacy.

To be frank, you have the cart way ahead of the horse in your relationship with this young man. If he's not a believer, he is taking his cue concerning sexuality from the World and this means he expects to go all the way with you, sooner or later. He doesn't have the inner check of God's Spirit helping to reign in his lust, which makes your play at the edges of full-on sexual intimacy very, very risky. You see, this young man is not your ally in honoring the commands of God regarding sex. If you let him, I'm sure he'd be "hitting a home run" with you today. He doesn't know the Lord and the culture in which he lives tells him almost daily that at his age he should be having sex as often as possible.

You have your own issues with sex. Certainly, if you've been making a diet of inappropriate content, your ideas about sexuality are warped. By looking at inappropriate content you've also opened a door into your life through which Satan will enter and begin to root his destructive lies in the soil of your mind and heart. Consequently, you are something of a powder keg, primed to explode by the devil via inappropriate content and your own youthful hormones. Every time you mess around physically with your boyfriend you shower sparks upon a condition just hair-trigger ready to ignite. Watch out!

If you end up having sex outside of marriage, you will have forever ruined the sexual experience God intended you should have only on your wedding night. Illicit sexual intercourse will bind you to this young man in a way God designed should occur only between a husband and wife. The joy and intimacy of sex that God has ordained should be an expression of commitment, and love, and spiritual unity between a married couple will be lost in the darkness of mere lust. What's more, you will have broken your fellowship with God, grieved the Holy Spirit, and invited the death of sin into your life.

1 Corinthians 6:18-20
18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.
19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?
20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.

Selah.

What this Poster said is completely true. Plus if you get pregnant which is a very real possibility, then you will be faced with killing your developing Child / giving up your child for Adoption / or keeping your Child in which case the Boy will typically not want to father because he was only it for the temporary fun of using you.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just to be fair at 18 I knew those words there is sex ed and parents are more open not to mention tv.

I'd heard of the actions, but I didn't hear the term "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]" or "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]" as a teenager. I suppose the exposure to inappropriate content that she admits to, could have something to do with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Avniel

Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd heard of the actions, but I didn't hear the term "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]" or "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]" as a teenager. I suppose the exposure to inappropriate content that she admits to, could have something to do with it.

Perhaps or maybe she was just trying to not be explicit I think that's when most people use the term.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please PLEASE be careful because while you may think you can hold back from sex, all it takes is a second of him touching you and things will happen so fast that it will be over and you will have had sex and can't take back. Trust me I know this all to well.

Even with kissing. Kissing is basically telling your body "Prepare for sex!", you may not be thinking about it but your body is already changing. Things become excited and warm and...well you get my drift. This only makes your body put out my signals to have sex. Before I married my wife we kissed alot. One night it got deep in the kissing and I placed my hand on her butt (we were dressed obviously) and suddenly we both stopped and freaked out because we almost had taken it further then we meant to.

So after that we kept the kissing to a simple peck on the lips and holding hands. It doesn't help your BF is not christian. Hes more inclined to keep testing your boundaries until he finds a weak spot he can use to his advantage. On top if it your young yet. I've always said we don't truly mature until around 25. Every year we change more and more. Around 25 we truly tend to know what we want in life, where we want to go...etc.

I married at 30 and am glad I did because I had matured enough to know what I wanted in life. Currently your standing in a lake full of gasoline and keep have been lucky the sparks haven't touched the gas yet. But eventually a spark will touch it and its all over. And the outcome will go far beyond what you can imagine. Accidently pregnancy, everyone knowing you had sex before marraige, constant reminds of messing up and in the future when you do find someone really special you have to have that difficult conversation about your past.

inappropriate content is a big issue today. I've seen 8 year olds using those words. I knew the more...sexuyal terms for oral sex by the time I was 17. I regret looking at inappropriate content then. The world has only gotten worse when it comes to sex in general. Kids even have their own ways to talk about sex and be sexual without adults knowing. Being a computer geek they know methods on being sexual online (and off) that blow my mind. >.<

Upvote 0