✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Exodus 20: "I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God."

What exactly did Catholicon say in her post, "Maybe God was just jealous," that was out of line with thsi verse?

It was an offhand comment...

The "maybe", the "was", and the "just" all convey the lack of understanding that God is forever jealous of His children's toying with idols and demonic power, and it's not a mere emotion either. It is the result of unfaithfulness of his people, and a perfectly righteous emotion of God, considering His holiness... and it stokes His sentiments into wrath when people insult him in the ways we are discussing here.

Reactions: Nadiine
Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Exodus 20: "I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God."

What exactly did Catholicon say in her post, "Maybe God was just jealous," that was out of line with thsi verse?
If you follow the dialog leading up to that post, her statements are systematically lending support to HP and at the same time questioning scripture verses/teachings(or misstatements being made as to scripturural facts - ie. 'Satan has no power - there is only God's power' which is incorrect), I couldn't help but read it the way it was worded... as if God's on some jealousy kick [AGAIN].

Originally Posted by Catholicon
Maybe God was just jealous.

Wouldn't be the first time God got jealous...
I read it as a negative comment, not one of 'matter of fact'.
Either way, there is a pure and Godly jealousy that is not evil - but is out of pure love in desiring His perfect will over those He created.

We see this displayed in Ezek. 33:
Ezekiel 33:11
"Say to them, ' As I live!' declares the Lord GOD, 'I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn from his way and live Turn back, turn back from your evil ways! Why then will you die, O house of Israel?'

2 Peter 3:9
4. and saying, " Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation."
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

I think it's BEAUTIFUL that God is jealous for us... it's no wonder that Satan goes right after our souls to keep us from God eternally and at the same time, hoping to hurt God by turning His creation against Him.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
Did I respond to that comment? I don't think so, I'll go back and look.
Ok I did respond but it wasn't directly to that comment but the cumulation of comments she made which appear to indicate she doesn't take the scripture to seriously.

That's her prerogative. However, I was wondering with that opinion why would someone call themselves a Christian.

Upvote 0

Catholicon

Nov 20, 2007
✟15,760.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Isn't the gender icon next to my age and mood and country and stuff, below my name?

I think you're all just being knee-jerkingly over-reactional and typically "fundie" about a book who's story is a FICTION about Good vs Evil, just because non-Christian magic is involved. Because Harry uses magic instead of prayer to fight the bad guys. Because he's calling on his own power and not God's.* That kind of attitude suggests we, as Christians, have a childish, immature jealously when other forces outside of God are even depicted in fiction. Seriously, why can't we just get over ourselves?

If you think Harry Potter is evil, what's your opinion of the REAL bad guy in the series?

*Is that the real problem? If people start believing they can use their own power to fight evil they'll start turning away from God and our religion will start losing potential members? Well it's going to take a whole lot more than Harry Potter to do that! Our attitude towards everything from Harry Potter, to Homosexuality, to Creationism is doing far more damage to our religion's reputation and discouraging potential Christians and even actively driving away people to become ex-Christians.

Is that really what we want?

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
Isn't the gender icon next to my age and mood and country and stuff, below my name?

I think you're all just being knee-jerkingly over-reactional and typically "fundie" about a book who's story is a FICTION about Good vs Evil, just because non-Christian magic is involved. Because Harry uses magic instead of prayer to fight the bad guys. Because he's calling on his own power and not God's.* That kind of attitude suggests we, as Christians, have a childish, immature jealously when other forces outside of God are even depicted in fiction. Seriously, why can't we just get over ourselves?

If you think Harry Potter is evil, what's your opinion of the REAL bad guy in the series?

*Is that the real problem? If people start believing they can use their own power to fight evil they'll start turning away from God and our religion will start losing potential members? Well it's going to take a whole lot more than Harry Potter to do that! Our attitude towards everything from Harry Potter, to Homosexuality, to Creationism is doing far more damage to our religion's reputation and discouraging potential Christians and even actively driving away people to become ex-Christians.

Is that really what we want?
I'm not sure what you are talking about.

The whole point most of us have been addressing is the target audience of the books, children.

I don't know why you get into the homosexual thing. Christianity is not about being popular or numbers it's about honestly following Jesus on a day to day basis. Doing so requires honest evaluation regarding what is and what is not sin. Not so we can point fingers but so we can seek God and avoid being trapped by the former.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not sure what you are talking about.

The whole point most of us have been addressing is the target audience of the books, children.

I don't know why you get into the homosexual thing. Christianity is not about being popular or numbers it's about honestly following Jesus on a day to day basis. Doing so requires honest evaluation regarding what is and what is not sin. Not so we can point fingers but so we can seek God and avoid being trapped by the former.
We have got to stop agreeing JW... this is getting frightening. LOL
:eek: :doh: :o hehe

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I think you're all just being knee-jerkingly over-reactional and typically "fundie" about a book who's story is a FICTION about Good vs Evil, just because non-Christian magic is involved.
I think this 'fundy' thing has been the source of the issue right here. Is this where I start in on the "liberalism" digs and the opposite direction that goes too far to the other extreme?

I'd like to remind you that there are plenty of secular people that have issues with HP - it isn't just an "fundy" issue (which goes for prolifer's who aren't Christian and other moral issues that aren't exclusive to Christians OR fundamentals). Non radical Muslims are anti abortion, anti inappropriate content, anti premarital sex too.

The case has been made that HP HAS led MANY young kids into interest in witchcraft & paganism (and even if it led just ONE young person into the occult, it's not good). If that's fine with you and you call that "GOOD" and "HARMLESS, then I guess we'll stay at odds.

If that's what you want to support as a self proclaiming Christian, be my guest, but since the bible is clear on condemning it, I can't and won't.

Reactions: Floatingaxe
Upvote 0

Danyc

Nov 2, 2007
✟10,070.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
And thats my point those lessons are skewed representations of how we are told to live in the scriptures, the scriptures tell us to obey our parents, harry potter tells us the opposite.
You do not need you morality dictated to you from a fictional story, from someone who does not exist.
Harry potter could care less about you , But Jesus does.
Man, I'm about to go off the deep end over here.

Harry Potter teaches us to rebel against our parents?
READ THE BOOKS
STOP saying things about HP when you have no idea what it's about! You have no idea what is going on, the reasons for Harry's actions! He rebels not against his parents, whom he loves deeply, but against his Aunt and Uncle, who are terrible to him and I believe Harry has every right not to listen to what they tell him to do. READ THE BOOKS!

They are not skewed representations. READ THE BOOKS. Harry Potter teaches the value of Morality, of Loyalty, of Friendship, of Modesty, and the list goes on! ALL of which are praise-worthy virtues.

The morality lessons you are learning are deviations from Gods word, you are learning to accept teachings, that are frankly of the devil, and you are incorporating them into your own moral code. And you are doing so from a piece of fiction.
I do understand as I did so myself as I was younger., but it does not change the fact, that you know more about a fictional story, than you do about Gods word, which has the power to save your soul

They ARE NOT deviations. READ THE BOOKS. The values and moral lessons they have to teach are inspiring.

Accept teachings? What teachings am I accepting? I assume you mean the teachings of witchcraft; I then must ask how on God's green earth can you learn ANYTHING from Harry Potter? It's fake, it's not real. I have professed a multitude of times in this thread already that it hasn't swayed me towards the occult in the least, and right now I am very inclined not to believe in such things anyways. But I suppose you didn't read that, did you?

"and you are incorporating them into your own moral code"

The morals in Harry Potter are just and right, and you would know that if you would READ THE BOOKS. It;s no detriment to you, you obviously know how evil the book is, it won't sway you in the least (Ironically, in the same way it failed to sway myself).

and how much of your life is invested in the pursuit of these things?
This will likely sound weird, but I am Glad you are offended, Hopefully it will cause you to ponder the situation further. The same way that many of you believe that harry potter is harmless, if its just for fun ,and entertainment, then how is it it can bear fruit?
if it bears no fruit allegedly in the form of some of its readers becoming curious about the occult, and witchcraft, how can it by that very same notion, bear fruit for the kingdom of God?
How ca none preach the Gospel without the Gospel?

The pursuit of what things? The evil morals presented? Stop being so ignorant, READ THE BOOKS. The morals are NOT EVIL. You're offending me has caused me to ponder further, and I have come to the same conclusion. And I have already told you how it has bore fruit for my life, it has given me an inspiring tale that I can easily relate to at points, it is a very special relationship, you could not possibly hope to understand, I grew up reading these books, each year, just waiting, discussing, speculating with others about what the next book would be like. I was terribly saddened when the last book came out, but it was bittersweet. You cannot possibly hope to understand this, but maybe you would a little if you would just read the books.

Because those men were not the author of the scriptures, God is, thats why I asked you the question in the first place, to see if You were aware of that.

Sorry, God inspired the authors of the scriptures, he didn't write them himself. By author, it is completely logical to assume you meant the individual writers. I also thought you had used the word 'authors', in the plural. It was a reading mistake on my part.

( I am glad you are able to discern that, far too many are unable) none of it, will enter heaven, zero. if that makes it boring, then What ever will you do if you Enter the kingdom of God?

I wonder this myself: Nothing in the Kingdom of God but the worship of God? Well, I suppose we haven't really been told what is in Heaven, and then God can do anything. He could make dusting interesting. But I know that it doesn't matter whatever we have in Heaven, it's described as perfect, and uninteresting isn't perfect.

or deceived.
The scriptures speak of 2 wizards in Pharaohs court who used their magic to combat the miracles of God. Do you believe that happened?

I am extremely skeptical. I mean, with a history of over 3000 years of supposed wizardry, I have no idea why I haven't seen any of it. It seems that the only book that has the occurrences in it is the Bible, and right now I don't know what to think about it, because it's unlikely and that I have known the Bible to be metaphoric at times.

and yet the knew their was a threat, and it was disregarded, in much the same way as harry potter is in this thread, with the typical "not my problem let someone else henadle it " attitude

Like I said, what could they possibly do?

I haven't seen that attitude anywhere in this thread.

Just as I assume it will take divine intervention, to cause you to lay down a book on fantasy, that does nothing for your soul, and steals away your time from reading the Word of God, which is far, far more valuable, and edifying to your spirit.
Well, thanks for not answering the question anyways.

You could say the same for ANY book that isn't about God. Millions of books do nothing for our souls, let's all just burn them?

The bible tells us that all sin is detestable by God, and shall never enter the Kingdom of heaven, it ultimately does not matter what the lost are doing, You are supposed to be a Child of God ,and we are told we will be held to greater accountably , than the lost.

Child of God? The Lost? I thought most everybody was lost? And what makes me more of God's child than anybody else? I'm not special.

Have you ever actually read any of the bible for yourself?
I hope you get the kind of zeal for God, and his kingdom, as you do for a make believe story.
You are really missing out, you have and artificial substitute for something Real.The Gospel is real, Christ is returning, all Harry potter does, is cause you to clamor for more, and to crave, and expect more magic, and occult practices.

They don't make me 'clamor and crave' for more occult practices. They make me clamor and crave for another beautifully written book that doesn't sway me to evil in the slightest. The books have done nothing but good for me.

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
They don't make me 'clamor and crave' for more occult practices. They make me clamor and crave for another beautifully written book that doesn't sway me to evil in the slightest. The books have done nothing but good for me.

^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think this thread has run it's full course (at least as far as my participation & input in it). I think the points have been given, scripture's been posted & supported, so it's just up to people who haven't read or watched the HP series to make up their minds with info.

I'll leave the links to a site that has the most educated information by an expert in this field.

Home page: http://www.carylmatrisciana.com/

feature HP info:
http://www.carylmatrisciana.com/articles/article-008.php

http://www.carylmatrisciana.com/articles/article-002.php

http://www.carylmatrisciana.com/articles/article-007.php

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, it is.
IT IS TO PEOPLE WHO ARE ON THE WARPATH OF 'FUNDY'S. YES.
I expect nothing less than that being all it is when it seems to be an obsession around here from some. If you disagree with something, just label them a fundy & dismiss them. (mislabeled as they often are).
Nevermind the facts & issues on their own merits which the Bible supports; that's what this really boils down to - a disdain of conservativism/fundamentalism. (which sadly most misdefine as "phariseical" when it isn't).

Well that's ok, conservatives are in good company since the Bible is just that. :thumbsup: :amen:

Since the subject is run into the ground and not much else can be said, it looks as if the thread is going to shift into personal insults & rude comments next.
:yawn: :sleep:
same old routine -- yawn.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
IT IS TO PEOPLE WHO ARE ON THE WARPATH OF 'FUNDY'S. YES.
I expect nothing less than that being all it is when it seems to be an obsession around here from some. If you disagree with something, just label them a fundy & dismiss them. (mislabeled as they often are).
If you adhere to the tenets of Christian fundamentalism, you're a fundamentalist, no matter how much you might not like the name.
Nevermind the facts & issues on their own merits which the Bible supports; that's what this really boils down to - a disdain of conservativism/fundamentalism. (which sadly most misdefine as "phariseical" when it isn't).
Fundamentalism is not only bad theology, it's dangerous theology.
Well that's ok, conservatives are in good company since the Bible is just that. :thumbsup: :amen:
The Bible, one of the most socially and morally progressive books ever written, is conservative? You're kidding, right?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.