Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
PaladinGirl asks a strange question: "Do you believe that Harry Potter is evil? I don't."

I would suggest: How can something that doesn't exist be evil?

Why don't you just ask if the giant in "Jack and the Beanstalk" is evil?

What is the purpose of you even bringing this up?

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
PaladinGirl asks a strange question: "Do you believe that Harry Potter is evil? I don't."

I would suggest: How can something that doesn't exist be evil?

Why don't you just ask if the giant in "Jack and the Beanstalk" is evil?

What is the purpose of you even bringing this up?
Ummm Harry Potter is a book and it does exist. I am asking if the book is evil.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ummm Harry Potter is a book and it does exist. I am asking if the book is evil.

Harry potter is a make believe character played by a mere child. The book is just cardboard and paper. Written therein is a fictional story, its make believe, not real.

Unless the book (came to life) and bit cha?:p

Upvote 0

Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
PaladinGirl said: "I am asking if the [Harry Potter] book is evil."

Well, Fireinfolding has the humorous take on the answer.

I haven't read any of the books.
But, I have heard that it is just a fantasy story.

Why would Harry Potter be any worse (or, as you say "evil") than any other of the 1000s of fantasy books?

I would say that NO book is evil.
Even if it was book a black-magic spells, it wouldn't necessarily cause evil outcomes.

The problem is in the mind of a book's reader.
A person could read a book, and then be inspired to do evil things.
Is THIS what you are concerned about?

If so, then maybe just start a Thread about The Wizard of Oz.

If not, please explain your OP.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
PaladinGirl said: "I am asking if the [Harry Potter] book is evil."

Well, Fireinfolding has the humorous take on the answer.

I haven't read any of the books.
But, I have heard that it is just a fantasy story.

Why would Harry Potter be any worse (or, as you say "evil") than any other of the 1000s of fantasy books?

I would say that NO book is evil.
Even if it was book a black-magic spells, it wouldn't necessarily cause evil outcomes.

The problem is in the mind of a book's reader.
A person could read a book, and then be inspired to do evil things.
Is THIS what you are concerned about?

If so, then maybe just start a Thread about The Wizard of Oz.

If not, please explain your OP.
Yes, that is basically what I am asking. Is the content of the books evil?

Upvote 0

Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I feel like I am trying to pull teeth here.

Please, PaladinGirl, why don't you make a direct statement about one (or more) of the Harry Potter books?

Pick one of the things in it (that you want to know if it's evil or not) and Post it here. Then you will be able to get some answers, instead of just more questions.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Even peoole who have read the book for themselves don't know what you are asking about.

Hmm, have you actually read any of the Harry Potter books.
If not, then maybe you should end this Thread.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
I feel like I am trying to pull teeth here.

Please, PaladinGirl, why don't you make a direct statement about one (or more) of the Harry Potter books?

Pick one of the things in it (that you want to know if it's evil or not) and Post it here. Then you will be able to get some answers, instead of just more questions.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Even peoole who have read the book for themselves don't know what you are asking about.

Hmm, have you actually read any of the Harry Potter books.
If not, then maybe you should end this Thread.
Man, I understand what she's saying just fine. It's pretty well-known that a number of religious conservative groups have objected to depictions of what they consider witchcraft within the book, and this is where the controversy lies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,543.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
witchcraft and wizardry are evil

Just what do you mean by witchcraft and wizardry? There are so many definitions that get applied to those terms that a simple statement like that with no explanation has little value.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've read through all the HP books this summer after relenting after the release of the last book.

While JKR spins a competent tale and conjures up (;) ) some compelling characters, I fail to see why folks, especially certain Christians, get into such a to-do about these stories.

There is absolutely no magic in HP.

Let me say that again.

There is absolutely no magic in HP.

How can I say that about a book about a world full of wizards, witches and magical creatures?

Because if you read the books carefully JKR uses the same technique in her books as Star Trek does in its stories - handwavium.

How does warp drive work so Kirk and Spock can get to the next star? Handwavium! It works because it has to work for the story and that's good enough.

How does magic work in HP? After reading through thousands of pages I have no clue, other than - handwavium. It works because it has to work for the story and that's good enough.

I think the major objection to HP is that it teaches children magic.

HP can't teach children magic because the books don't contain any magic. Wands may as well be phasers and broomsticks shuttlepods for all the effort that's put into explaining how they work (which is none).

Even Snape's potions are handwavium, as you only get incomplete pictures of what the ingredients and instructions are and no explanation whatsoever as to why any of it could possibly work. Handwavium - it works because it has to for the story.

HP could have been 'Boy Scientist on Mars in the 25 and 1/2 Century' for as much as any kids is going to learn about supposed secrect-hidden-uber-mad-skills for doing cool stuff.

HP isn't magic, but what it is is decent, character driven fantasy that resonates with some element found in all people I think - the desire to be more than we are, to have a purpose and make a difference in life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
:scratch: Did the Pope read the books?

Lucky for me I do not answer to the Pope.

Double lucky for me, I know fantasy from reality and am thus able to enjoy books like Harry Potter, the Lord of the Rings, A Wrinkle in Time, the Wizard of Oz, the Chronicles of Narnia, Snow White, the Little Mermaid, etc, etc, etc,

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:scratch: Did the Pope read the books?

Lucky for me I do not answer to the Pope.

Double lucky for me, I know fantasy from reality and am thus able to enjoy books like Harry Potter, the Lord of the Rings, A Wrinkle in Time, the Wizard of Oz, the Chronicles of Narnia, Snow White, the Little Mermaid, etc, etc, etc,
I have no idea if the pope read the books or not. Besides, that does not matter. One can have an opinion of the books without reading them.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I have no idea if the pope read the books or not. Besides, that does not matter. One can have an opinion of the books without reading them.

An uninformed opinion, but an opinion none the less. And as an uninformed opinion it should be kept personal and not used to influence other people.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
An uninformed opinion, but an opinion none the less. And as an uninformed opinion it should be kept personal and not used to influence other people.
Actually one can have an informed opinion through reading reviews of the books and such.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.