Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Every single gift we receive is a blessing! He died for us while we were sinners!

When did God ever give a gift that wasn't perfect?

Life isn't about earning a given number of merit badges and becoming an eagle scout!

Acts 13
48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

We are not authors of our own salvation!

Romans 3:11
There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

How many understand and seek after God?
You said: "Every single gift we receive is a blessing! He died for us while we were sinners!:"

A gift is NOT a blessing, Grace is a gift, NOT a blessing. Blessings are given to those who act in faith such as praying for something, being humble, keeping the commandments, etc.

You said: "We are not authors of our own salvation!"
That is true, we are saved by grace, we are not saved by works, neither are we saved without works. Salvation comes through grace and obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel. Grace is a gift, salvation is not a gift:

(New Testament | Hebrews 5:9)

9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Here are examples of the blessings Jesus gives and to whom they're given:

Mat 5:
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called the sons of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,
11 “Blessed are you when men revile you, and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.

• Agree
Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Here are examples of the blessings Jesus gives and to whom they're given:

Mat 5:
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,

We would not be poor in spirit if God had not released us from Satan's power.

Why and how does being poor in spirit result in the kingdom of heaven? While the phrase can be broad in meaning, “kingdom of heaven” essentially refers to salvation. The kingdom of heaven is both eternity in heaven with God after death (Romans 6:23) and the eternal quality of life with God before death (John 10:10). God offers us salvation as a gift, through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross, the full payment for sin’s penalty. Before we can receive this gift, we must understand that we cannot make ourselves worthy of it. Salvation is by grace through faith, not of works (Ephesians 2:8-9). We must recognize our sinfulness before we can understand our need for a Savior. We must admit our spiritual poverty before we can receive the spiritual riches God offers (Ephesians 1:3). We must, in short, be “poor in spirit.”
What does it mean to be poor in spirit? | GotQuestions.org

4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

We would not need the comfort that God freely gives if Satan had not caused us to mourn.

5 Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Meekness is possible because God changed our hearts. God made us new creatures when He gave us faith in Christ's atonement for our sins.

6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be filled.

The wicked don't hunger and thirst for righteousness. There is no fear of God before their eyes.

7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Are the wicked merciful? They don't care what God wants.

Ezekiel 36:26
A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Jeremiah 17
9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called the sons of God.

10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,

Job 25:4
How then can man be justified with God? or how can he be clean that is born of a woman?

Romans 4
1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? 2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. 3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. 6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

11 “Blessed are you when men revile you, and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.

No matter what they say or do we know Whom we have believed!

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
We would not be poor in spirit if God had not released us from Satan's power.

Why and how does being poor in spirit result in the kingdom of heaven? While the phrase can be broad in meaning, “kingdom of heaven” essentially refers to salvation. The kingdom of heaven is both eternity in heaven with God after death (Romans 6:23) and the eternal quality of life with God before death (John 10:10). God offers us salvation as a gift, through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross, the full payment for sin’s penalty. Before we can receive this gift, we must understand that we cannot make ourselves worthy of it. Salvation is by grace through faith, not of works (Ephesians 2:8-9). We must recognize our sinfulness before we can understand our need for a Savior. We must admit our spiritual poverty before we can receive the spiritual riches God offers (Ephesians 1:3). We must, in short, be “poor in spirit.”
What does it mean to be poor in spirit? | GotQuestions.org

We would not need the comfort that God freely gives if Satan had not caused us to mourn.

Meekness is possible because God changed our hearts. God made us new creatures when He gave us faith in Christ's atonement for our sins.

The wicked don't hunger and thirst for righteousness. There is no fear of God before their eyes.

Are the wicked merciful? They don't care what God wants.

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Jeremiah 17
9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Job 25:4
How then can man be justified with God? or how can he be clean that is born of a woman?

Romans 4
1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? 2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. 3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. 6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

No matter what they say or do we know Whom we have believed!
(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 130:18 - 21)

18 Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.
19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.
20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 130:18 - 21)

18 Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.
19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.
20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

Joseph Smith didn't even know the TRUE GOD!

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Joseph Smith didn't even know the TRUE GOD!
Joseph Smith did know the true God of the Bible and His Son Jesus Christ because He did what God asked of him:

(New Testament | 1 John 2:3 - 5)

3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

(New Testament | John 17:3)

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Blessings are given to those that obey Jesus Christ and keep His commandments:

(Old Testament | Ecclesiastes 12:13 - 14)

13 ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
A gift is NOT a blessing, Grace is a gift, NOT a blessing. Blessings are given to those who act in faith such as praying for something, being humble, keeping the commandments, etc..

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows,” James 1:17.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.
Ephesians 1:3-4 ESV

But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly after this sort? for all things come of thee, and of thine own have we given thee.
Chronicles 29:14

'Blessed be God ... who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ.' -- Eph. i.3.

It is very characteristic of Paul's impetuous fervour and exuberant faith that he begins this letter with a doxology, and plunges at once into the very heart of his theme. Colder natures reach such heights by slow degrees. He gains them at a bound, or rather, he dwells there always. Put a pen into his hand, and it is like tapping a blast furnace; and out rushes a fiery stream at white heat. But there is a great deal more than fervour in the words. In the rush of his thoughts there is depth and method. We come slowly after, and try by analysing and meditation to recover some of the fervour and the fire of such utterances as this.

Notice that buoyant, joyous, emphatic reiteration: 'Blessed,' 'blest,' 'blessings.' That is more than the fascination exercised over a man's mind by a word; it covers very deep thoughts and goes very far into the centre of the Christian life. God blesses us by gifts; we bless Him by words. The aim of His act of blessing is to evoke in our hearts the love that praises. We receive first, and then, moved by His mercies, we give. Our highest response to His most precious gifts is that we shall 'take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord,' and in the depth of thankful and recipient hearts shall say, 'Blessed be God who hath blessed us.'

Now I think that I shall best bring out the deep meaning of these words if I simply follow them as they lie before us. I do not wish to say anything about our echo in blessing God. I wish to speak about the original sweet sound, His blessing to us.

I. And I note, first of all, the character and the extent of these blessings which are the constituents of the Christian life.

'All spiritual blessings,' says the Apostle. Now, I am not going to weary you with mere exegetical remarks, but I do want to lay stress upon this, that, when the Apostle speaks about 'spiritual blessings,' he does not merely use that word 'spiritual' as defining the region in us in which the blessings are given, though that is also implied; but rather as pointing to the medium by which they are conferred.That is to say, he calls them 'spiritual,' not because they are, unlike material and outward blessings, gifts for the inner man, the true self, but because they are imparted to the waiting spirit by that Divine Spirit who communicates to men all the most precious things of God. They are 'spiritual' because the Holy Spirit is the medium of communication by which they reach men's spirits.
---Alexander Maclaren
'All Spiritual Blessings'

I am so moved to worship the Triune God by people who adore Who He really is!

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Blessings are given to those who deserve them:

(New Testament | Luke 6:20 - 38)

20 ¶ And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.
21 Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh.
22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.
23 Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.
24 But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.
25 Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.
26 Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.
27 ¶ But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.
30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.
33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Eph 1:3 is a very interesting verse in that it contains the adjective (blessed / eulogetos), the verb (to bless / eulogeo), and the noun (blessing / eulogia). Here are some observations:

1) This is _not_ the word translated "blessed" in the Lord's Sermon on the Mount and has a different meaning, although translated with the same English word.

2) We derive the word "eulogy" from the same Greek root, which means praise, acclamation.

3) The adjective, eulogetos / blessed, is exclusively used of God. It is best to translate "praised be God," rather than "blessed be God." Very different from Makarios which is used for blessed people.

4) The noun, eulogia / blessing, is also translated "bounty" and "fair speech" in the KJV. In NIV it is occasionally translated "thanksgiving." In NASB "flattering speech."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
"Blessings are Earned
This is prompted by a beautiful witness I was privileged to see today.

Many of us have heard in one form or another a person say,"well God never does anything for me" and my mind asks, "well, what have you done for Him?" Have you told Him you love Him? Have you thanked Him for His blessings? Do you realise that everything we have comes from Him? It is always a good opportunity to drop a few seeds and see if any sprout.

Some might find this controversial, but blessings are not contingent upon salvation, but works, case in point;

Deuteronomy 28:1-3King James Version (KJV)
28 And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the Lord thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth:

2 And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God.

3 Blessed shalt thou be in the city, and blessed shalt thou be in the field.

These people were not yet saved, but were promised blessing for doing, in this instance hearkening diligently.

Christ had not yet come, the blood ordinances were yet in effect, they couldn't be saved until Christ made His sacrifice and while in the tomb went back and preached to them.

1 Peter 3:18-20

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

But it is works which garner blessing;

Proverbs 10:5-7King James Version (KJV)

5 He that gathereth in summer is a wise son: but he that sleepeth in harvest is a son that causeth shame.

6 Blessings are upon the head of the just: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked.

7 The memory of the just is blessed: but the name of the wicked shall rot.

Gathering is work, and the worker is blessed, the sluggard.......not so much. (this has no reference to the disabled, works can be as simple as a smile or a good word to someone who is down.)

In fact works are the only things we can take with us when we move on;

Revelation 19:7-8
7Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. 8And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

Righteous acts are works, we are blessed for them now, they are our garments later."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We work only for God's glory! He has given us everything!!!

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: 4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: 5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, 6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. 7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; 8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence; 9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: 10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: 11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: 12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

We obey Him because He first loved us!

And yet it is God's grace in us.

1 Corinthians 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

We did not begin the the work!

Philippians 1:6
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Ephesians 3
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

Ephesians 1
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Luke 17:10
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
"Many a times, we are made to believe that we receive blessings from God by simply shouting ‘amen’ during prophetic declarations. But it is not so! There are conditions attached to every blessing and if you must be entitled to a particular blessing from God, you must ensure to fulfill the attached condition(s) without which you will never access the blessing.

When we look at the case of Isaac, Esau and Jacob, we discover that Isaac who was their father did not just begin blessing them. To show that blessings are earned, he demanded something from his son before blessing him. Unfortunately, Esau could meet the father’s condition on time whereas Jacob was able to; he (Esau) lost the blessing to the one who met the conditions of the blessing.

More so, taking Jesus Christ as a case study, Jesus never pronounced any blessing without an accompanying condition(s). In the book of Matthew 5 which talks about the beatitudes, you will discover that there were conditions in all cases. He did not just say, ‘you will inherit the earth’ but He made it known that you must be meek first in order to inherit and acquire the fullness of the earth.

Owing to this, we should always pay cognizance to the conditions because you will not access any of God’s blessings except you fulfill them. In John 3:16, God spelt out the foremost condition and it is being ‘BORN AGAIN’; not conforming to the ways of the world. It is only one you are born again that you can have life eternal. Eternal life is not for everyone but for those who give their life to Christ.

Let us no longer be carried away by eloquent pronouncements and declarations rather let us humbly seek to know the conditions and live up to them. By so doing, the blessings God has in store for us will be ours."

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Many a times, we are made to believe that we receive blessings from God by simply shouting ‘amen’ during prophetic declarations. But it is not so! There are conditions attached to every blessing and if you must be entitled to a particular blessing from God, you must ensure to fulfill the attached condition(s) without which you will never access the blessing.
I don't like the language of entitlement. But I dislike the concept of "name it and claim it" even more.

Discussions in this forum usually involve unique LDS beliefs. But this particular discussion could take place between any 2 Christians. Too bad it's not in General Theology.

This thread has been quite enlightening. Thank you for both sides of the debate.

Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
"Many Christians claim they would be happy to do God's will if He would only reveal it to them. They are ignorant of the fact that God has already instructed us in regard to His will for us. Some instructions are: "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not quench the Spirit…hold fast to that which is good…And we toil, working with our own hands; when we are reviled, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure; when we are slandered, we try to conciliate; we have become as the scum of the world, the dregs of all things, even until now." (1 Thess. 5:16-22; 1 Cor. 4:12) These principles do not coincide with our human legalistic mind. No wonder God states that His ways are higher than man's ways! He wants us to invoke God's blessing upon those who malign and curse us. By praying God's blessing on them we are asking God to intervene in their lives so they can repent and follow God.

God wants us to pray for ourselves and for the welfare of others in the way that He perceives the need. This principle is expressed so beautifully in Acts 3:26: "For you first, God raised up His Servant and sent Him to bless you by turning every one of you from your wicked ways." God blesses us by intervening in our lives! His interventions turn us from our evil ways, and get us in line with His plan and purpose! We cannot be transformed into the image of Christ unless God intervenes in our lives. Without His intervention we will remain in the deadness of our sins and transgressions."

From: The Blessings of the Lord: Article from The Good Seed

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't follow the teaching of "Name It Claim It." Neither do I follow the false teachings of Joseph Smith and his followers (God help them).

Some LIES of Joseph Smith:

D & C 130

Christian Gift or Wages.jpg

How much did the gift cost and who paid the price?

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
1 Corinthians 6

28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
Acts 20

Christian Blood of Jesus.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
LDS Quotes:

Milton R. Hunter: "Jesus became a God and reached His great state of understanding through consistent effort and continuous obedience to all the Gospel truths and universal laws" (The Gospel Through the Ages, p.51).

Bruce R. McConkie: "He [Jesus] is the Firstborn of the Father. By obedience and devotion to the truth he attained that pinnacle of intelligence which ranked him as a God, as the Lord Omnipotent, while yet in his pre-existent state" (Mormon Doctrine, p. 129).

"Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is the first principle of the gospel. It is also a gift resulting from personal righteousness and sustained obedience to God."

(IOW, gifts must be earned.)

The LDS have deleted the link.

nz/area-presidency/messages/2012/dec

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
“Eternal life is to know Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and dwell with Them forever—to inherit a place in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom (see John 17:3; D&C 131:1–4; 132:21–24). To receive this great gift, we must do more than repent of our sins and be baptized and confirmed by appropriate priesthood authority. Men must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood, and all Church members must make and keep sacred covenants in the temple, including eternal marriage” (True to the Faith [2004], 153).
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org...pdf/language-materials/36863_eng.pdf?lang=eng

You have to scroll down quite a ways in the above link.

Eternal life, or exaltation, is to inherit a place in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom, where we will live in God’s presence and continue as families (see D&C 131:1–4). Like immortality, this gift is made possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. However, it requires our “obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel” (Articles of Faith 1:3).
Eternal Life

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
LDS Quotes:

Milton R. Hunter: "Jesus became a God and reached His great state of understanding through consistent effort and continuous obedience to all the Gospel truths and universal laws" (The Gospel Through the Ages, p.51).

Bruce R. McConkie: "He [Jesus] is the Firstborn of the Father. By obedience and devotion to the truth he attained that pinnacle of intelligence which ranked him as a God, as the Lord Omnipotent, while yet in his pre-existent state" (Mormon Doctrine, p. 129).

"Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is the first principle of the gospel. It is also a gift resulting from personal righteousness and sustained obedience to God."

(IOW, gifts must be earned.)

The LDS have deleted the link.

nz/area-presidency/messages/2012/dec
Gifts are not earned, blessings are earned:

(Old Testament | Deuteronomy 5:10)

10 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.

(New Testament | John 14:21)

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

(New Testament | John 15:7 - 14)

7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
“Eternal life is to know Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and dwell with Them forever—to inherit a place in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom (see John 17:3; D&C 131:1–4; 132:21–24). To receive this great gift, we must do more than repent of our sins and be baptized and confirmed by appropriate priesthood authority. Men must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood, and all Church members must make and keep sacred covenants in the temple, including eternal marriage” (True to the Faith [2004], 153).
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org...pdf/language-materials/36863_eng.pdf?lang=eng

You have to scroll down quite a ways in the above link.

Eternal life, or exaltation, is to inherit a place in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom, where we will live in God’s presence and continue as families (see D&C 131:1–4). Like immortality, this gift is made possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. However, it requires our “obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel” (Articles of Faith 1:3).
Eternal Life
Only those who obey Jesus Christ by keeping His commandments can know God:

(New Testament | 1 John 2:3 - 6)

3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Men must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood, and all Church members must make and keep sacred covenants in the temple, including eternal marriage” (True to the Faith [2004], 153).
This is similar to the man-mandated works (as opposed to works of charity) that the Reformers objected to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0