Is Godspell Blasphemous? Do They Mock Christianity?

Romany

Apr 24, 2005
✟7,999.00
Faith
Christian
Many, many christians make a big fuss about Jesus Christ Superstar...no comment abt that...but...

'GodSpell', a musical based on the book of Matthew, depicts Jesus as a clown and his followers look like carefree hippies. It's set in NY in the 70's and it's got lots of good music and dancing and a good adaptation of the gospel.

I think it's absolutely brilliant, but it's hard to explain how Jesus' character can be illustrated through a clown....and when I told this to some of my friends, they were like...'Jesus? A clown?! Isn't that blasphemous...?'

If you've seen it...what are your thoughts on it? Blasphemous...or something deeper?

Penguin50388

Seeker
Mar 26, 2004
✟11,469.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I've seen the original movie, excertps from the 2000 off off broadway revival and I have been in a run of it. I love the musical, and in my oppinion I don't think it really shows Jesus as a clown as much as a fun loving guy. We performed it different. No clowns or hippies.

Upvote 0

eterntyinanhour

Sep 17, 2005
✟180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've seen the original Godspell movie and a college nearby performed it on stage. I am in love with it. I don't think it is blasphemous at all. Everytime I watch it whether in the a movie or on stage, I leave a better person I think. I think every person should get to see it.

Upvote 0

white_frog914

I love you but I'm still a liar
Oct 4, 2004
Kokomo, Indiana
Visit site
✟1,968.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
My problems with Godspell is...the portrayal of John the Baptist (floating in a fountain smoking a cigar, baptizing Jesus with a sponge), the "crucifixion" of Jesus (where he's simply tied to a chain linked fence and there's no resurrection seen), the song "Turn Back, O Man", and I'm not altogether comfortable of Jesus being presented by a clown. It doesn't fit well at all with the person he actually was.

Anyways, those are just my opinions.

Upvote 0

Romany

Apr 24, 2005
✟7,999.00
Faith
Christian
eterntyinanhour said:
I've seen the original Godspell movie and a college nearby performed it on stage. I am in love with it. I don't think it is blasphemous at all. Everytime I watch it whether in the a movie or on stage, I leave a better person I think. I think every person should get to see it.

That's exactly what I thought!! Yay!! :clap: (Except you expressed it way better than I did...) I'm really glad other ppl liked it too.

Romany

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DrummerDude

May 22, 2011
✟15,117.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As background for this comment, I have a friend who has asked me to help with this show, but I'm not sure what to think of it.

The main problem I see is if this show is irredeemable. Essentially my question is if you think that it is too far gone from the gospels to be presented as a Christian show? I saw some clips of the 70's movie of it which seemed to make fun of Christ and the gospel message, etc. I think and hope, though, that it may be redeemed to glorify God. Any input would be appreciated!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

staceylee67

Mar 14, 2013
Pacific Northwest
✟7,874.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My husband and I won tickets to it at my son's school's auction. When I looked into it I got a little worried as I seemed to have found the Extremely conservative Christian views. I thought, why would a Christian school allow this to be presented at its auction? Then I thought what a sick joke for someone to play, to give these tickets to a Christian school. But that didn't make total sense either. So I started asking around to my Christian friends. They all liked it. So I am looking forward to seeing it.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2013
✟7,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Many, many christians make a big fuss about Jesus Christ Superstar...no comment abt that...but...

'GodSpell', a musical based on the book of Matthew, depicts Jesus as a clown and his followers look like carefree hippies. It's set in NY in the 70's and it's got lots of good music and dancing and a good adaptation of the gospel.

I think it's absolutely brilliant, but it's hard to explain how Jesus' character can be illustrated through a clown....and when I told this to some of my friends, they were like...'Jesus? A clown?! Isn't that blasphemous...?'

If you've seen it...what are your thoughts on it? Blasphemous...or something deeper?

I don't know about blasphemous. We are talking about a piece of music and visual art which was done right at the height of the peace/love/hippie era so the representation of the cast as hippies fits with the time it was made. The outfit that Jesus wore in my opinion showed him as superman (which Jesus was). It was the analogy that people missed I think because of the face paint and the seventies (big) hair. Anyway, I believe we all need to lighten up a little and just enjoy Godspell for what it is. Lovely music, parables brought to life in a way even children can understand, and a lot of fun.

Upvote 0