Is God's "Free" Gift of Salvation Really Free?

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
How can anything which is spiritually dead in sin and described as a child if wrath make any righteous choice for God? Earn salvation? With what?

Doug

We do play a part in our salvation. We bring our sin to the table. . .

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This gift is not free. It will cost you your life. But once the gift is receive, you will find it well worth the price.
Hello Raymond.

Not sure that I would agree with your idea. When you believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus, you are saved. Your old manner of life, your former self, does indeed die but you start living your new life in Christ. Your life is not lost at all, rather your identity and behavior is altered for the better.

So does the free gift of salvation in Christ cost your life, definitely not. The gift remains free and always will be.

Upvote 0

Stephen Douglas

Feb 8, 2016
New Kent Virginia
✟21,287.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello Raymond.

Not sure that I would agree with your idea. When you believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus, you are saved. Your old manner of life, your former self, does indeed die but you start living your new life in Christ. Your life is not lost at all, rather your identity and behavior is altered for the better.

So does the free gift of salvation in Christ cost your life, definitely not. The gift remains free and always will be.

Question:

Why in the world would any sane individual believe in the death and ressurection of the Son of God?

Answer:

Because of imputed faith.

Doug

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
"To you it has been given for Christ's sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake" (Philippians 1:29).

Why do we profess that our faith by which we have been saved was conjured up by ourselves?

Doug

Just like A&E, I wasn't looking for Him. I was hiding from Him. That I know for certain, which means that He sought and saved me.

Upvote 0

Stephen Douglas

Feb 8, 2016
New Kent Virginia
✟21,287.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just like A&E, I wasn't looking for Him. I was hiding from Him. That I know for certain, which means that He sought and saved me.

Just as the Good Shepherd went searching for a lost sheep and the woman who swept the floor in search of her one lost count.

Doug

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Just as the Good Shepherd went searching for a lost sheep and the woman who swept the floor in search of her one lost count.

Doug

That's grace. People who think that they chose Him have little clue of what grace is.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not arguing that salvation can be earned, but my question has to do with a Christian's obligation to God for His gift of salvation.

Does the reception of God's gift create an obligation for us? Are we obligated to give something in return for having received the free gift of God?

It's like a free gift that wrapped up and left for you on your table. It is yours in the sense that it belongs to you, but unless you unwrap it there is still a sense that you have not fully received it. Or receiving a DVD as a free gift that is still in its packaging on your shelf, where the gift was not a paper weight, but to watch a movie. Or receiving a lifetime of college tuition as a free gift, but you still need to attend classes to fully receive it. According to Titus 2:11-14, our salvation involves being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good and to renounce doing what is ungodly and sinful, so the free gift of salvation involves ongoing training that we are receiving by grace.

Upvote 0

Stephen Douglas

Feb 8, 2016
New Kent Virginia
✟21,287.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's grace. People who think that they chose Him have little clue of what grace is.

It is a spiritually divine process. The Spirit changes the heart of man to enable the man to choose righteously. What I am not completely sure of is if this spiritual change of the heart (desire) is always effectual.

Doug

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stephen Douglas

Feb 8, 2016
New Kent Virginia
✟21,287.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's like a free gift that wrapped up and left for you on your table. It is yours in the sense that it belongs to you, but unless you unwrap it there is still a sense that you have not fully received it. Or receiving a DVD as a free gift that is still in its packaging on your shelf, where the gift was not a paper weight, but to watch a movie. Or receiving a lifetime of college tuition as a free gift, but you still need to attend classes to fully receive it. According to Titus 2:11-14, our salvation involves being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good and to renounce doing what is ungodly and sinful, so the free gift of salvation involves ongoing training that we are receiving by grace.

But this training in grace is not what justified us. Only faith in the redemptive blood of Jesus does that!

Doug

Upvote 0

ronandcarol

Mar 9, 2014
✟27,889.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
a Christian's obligation to God for His gift of salvation.
A Christians response should be praise and thanks for God's free gift of salvation. Without His mercy and grace we would be headed for hell. That should not make us obligated at all, it sort of makes me relieved, hopeful, happy, and thankful.
ronandcarol

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Raymond.

I believe that If you try to save any part of your life (including your beliefs)....you will lose it. No more I but Christ that lives within me.

Upvote 0

Stephen Douglas

Feb 8, 2016
New Kent Virginia
✟21,287.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
a Christian's obligation to God for His gift of salvation.
A Christians response should be praise and thanks for God's free gift of salvation. Without His mercy and grace we would be headed for hell. That should not make us obligated at all, it sort of makes me relieved, hopeful, happy, and thankful.
ronandcarol

You are speaking of an attitude, but just an appreciation followed by no action reveals a different attitude. Paul tells us that we are debtors. But I agree with you, joyful debtors!

Doug

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
But this training in grace is not what justified us. Only faith in the redemptive blood of Jesus does that!

Doug

It is through the same faith the justifies us that we are required to go through that training by grace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I'm not arguing that salvation can be earned, but my question has to do with a Christian's obligation to God for His gift of salvation.

Does the reception of God's gift create an obligation for us? Are we obligated to give something in return for having received the free gift of God?
Life is a gift, death is optional. Considering that we are all children of God, sonship has inherent obligations; eternal allegiance. God demands all allegiance or none.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't say it's really free, because people say that the only alternative is eternal torture in hell. Sounds less "free gift" and more "gun to your head at the edge of a cliff".

... I did not intend that half-rhyme, by the way. XD
'Love me it I will torture you forever.' I don't think people who believe that sincerely love God. I think they simply fear such a monster and give hollow platitudes. Like living in a dysfunctional family with a violent father. Better say what he wants to here or else! That's sad.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Remember that English is comprised of many languages and in many ways watered down, corrupted, mistaken, misused. Remember too that the Word of God is there to study and to live. If you were to understand free in some of the Hebrew then;

"Free" and "Freedom" in Hebrew (and English) - Shlomi Fish's Journal
It can naturally mean "libre" or free-from-oppression. But "Hhofesh" or "Hhufshah" alsomeans vacation in Hebrew (like "Hahhofesh .... What of the two words you´d used for "freedom" as a condition when you can do what you ...

deror: a flowing, free run, liberty

While "Herouth" is mostly limited to the liberty of a people or inidividuals, and is considered high language, "Hhofshi" is more disputed. It can naturally mean "libre" or free-from-oppression. But "Hhofesh" or "Hhufshah" also means vacation in Hebrew (like "Hahhofesh hagadol" (the big "Hhofseh") - which is the Hebrew name for the Summer vacation.) And so Hhofshi is sometimes applied to a person who is relieved of work, education or other responsibilities (such as that of a spouse), even though it is understood that it is not an exact meaning.

Free means a lot of things but paying the church for your salvation if you want to stretch it that far..., NO! There is no sacrifice except for sin. If you want God's gift AND you want sin, then you cannot have that. Giving up purposeful sin is not a cost. Only Satan really proffers that idea.

Upvote 0

Jezmeyah

member since 7-14-16
Jul 14, 2016
Indiana
✟32,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The question that you ask seems to not be based on a recognized relationship with God as your heavenly Father who loves you, but on an idea of being obedient to His commands.. being dutiful to His laws.

However, in Nehemiah it states that God's commandments are founded in His love. In Psalms it states in many verses that His way is lovingkindness and truth.

"Save me o Lord according to Your lovingkindness."

God's desire for all to be saved creates a desire within those who are saved to return that love provided in salvation.

"What eye has not seen and ear has not heard, nor entered into the heart of all the things that God has prepared for those who love Him."

It didn't say, "for those who are obligated to obey."

Upvote 0