Rogue Valley
✟11,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today I attended a bible study over Isaiah Chapter 6. When we got to verse 3, one of the bible versions had “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts". Someone else's bible version stated: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty". I asked the others what "hosts" meant, and was told that it meant that God was the Lord over everything in the universe. However, I remembered that at one time the phrase "Heavenly Hosts" meant the armies of angels in heaven. The same difference in word use reoccurs in verse 5.

What was Isaiah's intended meaning in these verses regarding God? Was God the Lord of military forces or was God the all powerful?

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
God is all-powerful, and He has an army of good angels.

“Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they were defeated and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the Devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, 'Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death. Rejoice then, O heaven and you that dwell therein! But woe to you, O earth and sea, for the devil has come down to you in great wrath, because he knows that his time is short!'” - Rv 12:7-12

“While he was still speaking, Judas came, one of the twelve, and with him a great crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priests and the elders of the people. Now the betrayer had given them a sign, saying, 'The one I shall kiss is the man; seize him.' And he came up to Jesus at once and said, 'Hail, Master!' And he kissed him. Jesus said to him, 'Friend, why are you here?' Then they came up and laid hands on Jesus and seized him. And behold, one of those who were with Jesus stretched out his hand and drew his sword, and struck the slave of the high priest, and cut off his ear. Then Jesus said to him, 'Put your sword back into its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword. Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and he will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then should the scriptures be fulfilled, that it must be so?'” - Mt 26:47-54

Last edited:
Upvote 0

birdetto

Mar 26, 2017
Darwin, Australia
✟10,607.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

AND AGAIN

Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

Upvote 0