Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Allah is the contracted form of Alilah, a Pagan god. Before the Arabs stopped speaking the name of God, God was known to them as Yahwah. Mohammad did not know the name of God, and so he picked the name of a Pagan god who was least offensive. Alilah is Allah.

Allah is simply "the god" and just like the English word "god" the Arabic word can refer either to the true God Yahweh or any number of false gods. FYI - Allah is used in most Arabic Christian bibles to refer to YHWH. In Hebrew it would be האלוה.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Allah is simply "the god" and just like the English word "god" the Arabic word can refer either to the true God Yahweh or any number of false gods. FYI - Allah is used in most Arabic Christian bibles to refer to YHWH. In Hebrew it would be האלוה.
Allah is Alilah, which means: "The god ascends." Alilah was the morning sun god.

Allah, Chemosh, and Nergel were phases of the sun, and Pagan gods. Allah was the morning sun god. Allah / Alilah : The / god / ascends. Al-il-ah

Numbers 21:29
Woe to you, O Moab! You are destroyed, O people of Chemosh! He has given up his sons as fugitives and his daughters as captives to Sihon king of the Amorites.

Judges 11:24
Will you not take what your god Chemosh gives you? Likewise, whatever the LORD our God has given us, we will possess.

1 Kings 11:7
On a hill east of Jerusalem, Solomon built a high place for Chemosh the detestable god of Moab, and for Molech the detestable god of the Ammonites.

1 Kings 11:33
I will do this because they have forsaken me and worshiped Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, Chemosh the god of the Moabites, and Molech the god of the Ammonites, and have not walked in my ways, nor done what is right in my eyes, nor kept my statutes and laws as David, Solomon's father, did.

2 Kings 23:13
The king also desecrated the high places that were east of Jerusalem on the south of the Hill of Corruption—the ones Solomon king of Israel had built for Ashtoreth the vile goddess of the Sidonians, for Chemosh the vile god of Moab, and for Molech the detestable god of the people of Ammon.

Jeremiah 48:7
Since you trust in your deeds and riches, you too will be taken captive, and Chemosh will go into exile, together with his priests and officials.

Jeremiah 48:13
Then Moab will be ashamed of Chemosh, as the house of Israel was ashamed when they trusted in Bethel.

Jeremiah 48:46
Woe to you, O Moab! The people of Chemosh are destroyed; your sons are taken into exile and your daughters into captivity.

Upvote 0

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Allah is Alilah, which means: "The god ascends." Alilah was the morning sun god.

I am sorry but this is simply NOT true! And it doesn't help anyone when people invent facts to argue their points.

The following is Allah (Arabic), Elah (Aramaic), and Eloah (Hebrew) written in Hebrew letters. Without vowels or context, they are absolutely identical!

allah-elah-eloah.jpg

Here is the definition of Allah from Abraham Even Shoshan's Hebrew dictionary, the most popular Hebrew dictionary in Israel. (Note: the spelling of Allah)

Allah-milon-ivrit.jpg

And here is Ge. 1:1 from the Vandyke (one of the most popular Arabic Translations). Note that Allah is used to translate Elohim (just like the Hebrew dictionary anticipates).

فِي الْبَدْءِ خَلَقَ اللهُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالأَرْضَ

Allah simply means "god" in Arabic and, as can be seen in the Scripture quote above, it can refer to the God of Scripture i.e. YWHW and just like the English word god, the Greek word theos, the Spanish word Dios, or the Hebrew word Eloah, it can refer to both the true God of Scripture, and to false gods. It is context, and not the word itself, that determines who is being referenced.

Upvote 0

habibii zahra

Nov 16, 2016
lebanon
✟27,368.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Allah is the contracted form of Alilah, a Pagan god. Before the Arabs stopped speaking the name of God, God was known to them as Yahwah. Mohammad did not know the name of God, and so he picked the name of a Pagan god who was least offensive. Alilah is Allah.
this is not true the name of ALLAH was revealed in the Quran and not from a pagan god..the Quran was revealed from god and no human has written it thus ALLAH is indeed the name of the god of the universe...the word "ALLAH" has the same meaning and the same name in Hebrew
read this:
The etymology of the word Allāh has been discussed extensively by classical Arab philologists.[17] Grammarians of the Basra school regarded is as either formed "spontaneously" (murtajal) or as the definite form of lāh (from the verbal root lyh with the meaning of "lofty" or "hidden").[17] Others held that it was borrowed from Syriac or Hebrew, but most considered it to be derived from a contraction of the Arabic definite article al- "the" and ilāh "deity, god" to al-lāh meaning "the deity", or "the God".[17] The majority of modern scholars subscribe to the latter theory, and view the loanword hypothesis with skepticism.[18]

Cognates of the name "Allāh" exist in other Semitic languages, including Hebrew and Aramaic.[19] The corresponding Aramaic form is Elah (אלה), but its emphatic state is Elaha (אלהא). It is written as ܐܠܗܐ (ʼĔlāhā) in Biblical Aramaic and ܐܲܠܵܗܵܐ (ʼAlâhâ) in Syriac as used by the Assyrian Church, both meaning simply "God".[20] Biblical Hebrew mostly uses the plural (but functional singular) form Elohim (אלהים), but more rarely it also uses the singular form Eloah (אלוהּ).

Upvote 0

habibii zahra

Nov 16, 2016
lebanon
✟27,368.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
I am sorry but this is simply NOT true! And it doesn't help anyone when people invent facts to argue their points.

The following is Allah (Arabic), Elah (Aramaic), and Eloah (Hebrew) written in Hebrew letters. Without vowels or context, they are absolutely identical!

View attachment 190513

Here is the definition of Allah from Abraham Even Shoshan's Hebrew dictionary, the most popular Hebrew dictionary in Israel. (Note: the spelling of Allah)

View attachment 190514

And here is Ge. 1:1 from the Vandyke (one of the most popular Arabic Translations). Note that Allah is used to translate Elohim (just like the Hebrew dictionary anticipates).

فِي الْبَدْءِ خَلَقَ اللهُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالأَرْضَ

Allah simply means "god" in Arabic and, as can be seen in the Scripture quote above, it can refer to the God of Scripture i.e. YWHW and just like the English word god, the Greek word theos, the Spanish word Dios, or the Hebrew word Eloah, it can refer to both the true God of Scripture, and to false gods. It is context, and not the word itself, that determines who is being referenced.
The etymology of the word Allāh has been discussed extensively by classical Arab philologists.[17] Grammarians of the Basra school regarded is as either formed "spontaneously" (murtajal) or as the definite form of lāh (from the verbal root lyh with the meaning of "lofty" or "hidden").[17] Others held that it was borrowed from Syriac or Hebrew, but most considered it to be derived from a contraction of the Arabic definite article al- "the" and ilāh "deity, god" to al-lāh meaning "the deity", or "the God".[17] The majority of modern scholars subscribe to the latter theory, and view the loanword hypothesis with skepticism.[18]

Cognates of the name "Allāh" exist in other Semitic languages, including Hebrew and Aramaic.[19] The corresponding Aramaic form is Elah (אלה), but its emphatic state is Elaha (אלהא). It is written as ܐܠܗܐ (ʼĔlāhā) in Biblical Aramaic and ܐܲܠܵܗܵܐ (ʼAlâhâ) in Syriac as used by the Assyrian Church, both meaning simply "God".[20] Biblical Hebrew mostly uses the plural (but functional singular) form Elohim (אלהים), but more rarely it also uses the singular form Eloah (אלוהּ).

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our God’s name is ALLAH. You can call him anything you want.

Just a thought question: If I called God "Satan" would you say I was worshiping the same God as you? You did write I could call him anything I want. [Note: this is just a consideration, I don't think for a second that Satan is God]

Another point:

I believe that Jesus Christ is God. Islam rejects this. So how can it be said that Christians worship the same God as Muslims, just by a different name?

Analogy, If I went to the White House in Washington DC and believed that the President of the United States was a 4 foot red hair woman that weighed 100 lbs, and I ask to see the President and out comes Donald Trump (who obviously does not look like the woman I described), and I asked them to send out the President that I described, they would consider me crazy and send me away.

The point is that God has described Himself in the Bible infallibly. The God of the Bible is radically different from the God of Islam. It is not just seeing God from a different perspective. Islam denies that God became incarnate. Christianity says God became incarnate in Jesus Christ.

So, clearly Islam and Christianity define 2 completely different Gods. Which one is true?

I trust in Jesus Christ is God as described in the Bible.

• Agree
Reactions: benelchi
Upvote 0

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Other than including details about the Aramaic vocative, this article says the very same thing that I did.

Upvote 0

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just a thought question: If I called God "Satan" would you say I was worshiping the same God as you? You did write I could call him anything I want. [Note: this is just a consideration, I don't think for a second that Satan is God]

Another point:

I believe that Jesus Christ is God. Islam rejects this. So how can it be said that Christians worship the same God as Muslims, just by a different name?

Analogy, If I went to the White House in Washington DC and believed that the President of the United States was a 4 foot red hair woman that weighed 100 lbs, and I ask to see the President and out comes Donald Trump (who obviously does not look like the woman I described), and I asked them to send out the President that I described, they would consider me crazy and send me away.

The point is that God has described Himself in the Bible infallibly. The God of the Bible is radically different from the God of Islam. It is not just seeing God from a different perspective. Islam denies that God became incarnate. Christianity says God became incarnate in Jesus Christ.

So, clearly Islam and Christianity define 2 completely different Gods. Which one is true?

I trust in Jesus Christ is God as described in the Bible.

This is really the point. While it is absolutely clear that the words for a god i.e. Allah (Arabic) and Eloah (Hebrew) are related, the description of God in Scripture and the description of god in the Qu'ran is very different. These books do not describe the same god! Most religions have a concept of "god" but, apart from the God of Scripture, those concepts are nothing more than the imagination of man.

Furthermore only the God in Scripture is known by the name YHWH; the god of the Qu'ran is never called by this name.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
this is not true the name of ALLAH was revealed in the Quran and not from a pagan god..the Quran was revealed from god and no human has written it thus ALLAH is indeed the name of the god of the universe...the word "ALLAH" has the same meaning and the same name in Hebrew
read this:

Islamic Sheikh, Ibrahim Al-Qattan, in a lecture given to the International Progress Association in Vienna, said that the religion of Arabia can be traced by the epigraphic and inscription evidence back to 500 BC, or 1000 years before Muhammad.

He said that they had gods named Baal Shamin, Dhu-Samawi, Rahman and Allah, which they got from Syria and Persia.

According to Sheikh Ibrahim, Allah was the highest deity, and his name was inscribed in stone by Jewish traders along the Arabian trade routes. These paganized Jews also called him Rahman, while the Arabs called him Allah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Islamic Sheikh, Ibrahim Al-Qattan, in a lecture given to the International Progress Association in Vienna, said that the religion of Arabia can be traced by the epigraphic and inscription evidence back to 500 BC, or 1000 years before Muhammad.

He said that they had gods named Baal Shamin, Dhu-Samawi, Rahman and Allah, which they got from Syria and Persia.

According to Sheikh Ibrahim, Allah was the highest deity, and his name was inscribed in stone by Jewish traders along the Arabian trade routes. These paganized Jews also called him Rahman, while the Arabs called him Allah.

I would look for better sources. I have found that scholar.google.com can often point you in the right direction.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would look for better sources. I have found that scholar.google.com can often point you in the right direction.
Allah is a phase of the sun, translation "The Dawn", interpretation: Morning Star or Rising Sun. Allah is the contracted form from Alilah, {Al il ah} and the transliteral is this: The/god/ascends. The reason for the confusion is because the word "Allah" is borrowed from the Chaldean language. It is not an Aramaic word. More than two thousand years ago the Aramaic word for God was El, and "Elah," and “Il” and “Ilah,” which means “God” and “The God”, reading right to left.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
ARCHAEOLOGY. MOABITE STONE OF MESHA 930 BC.
When the Arabs knew the name of God as Yahwah.
Moabite Stone
I am Mesha, son of Kemoshmelek, the king of Moab, the Dibonite. My father was king over Moab for thirty years, and I became king after my father.
And I made this high place for Kemosh in Qarhar . . . because of the deliverance of Mesha, and because he has saved me from all the kings and because he caused me to see [my desire] upon all who hated me. Omri, king of Israel -- he oppressed Moab many days, because Kemosh was angry with his land.
And his son succeeded him, and he also said I will oppress Moab. In my day he spoke according to this word, but I saw my desire upon him and upon his house, and Israel utterly perished forever.
Now Omri had possessed all the land of Medeba and dwelt in it his days and half the days of his son, forty years, but Kemosh restored it in my day. And I built Baal-meon and I made in it the reservoir and I built Kiryathaim. And the men of Gad had dwelt in the land of Ataroth from of old and the king of Israel had built for himself Ataroth. And I foutht against the city and took it, and I slew all the people of the city, a sight pleasing to Kemosh and to Moab.
And I brought back from there the altar-hearth of Duda and I dragged it before Kemosh in Kiryoth. And I caused to dwell in it the men of Sharon and the men of Meharoth (?).
And Kemosh said to me: "Go take Nebo against Israel"; and I went by night and fought against it from break of dawn till noon, and I took it and slew all, seven thousand men, boys (?), and women, and girls, for I had devoted it to the Ashtar of Kemosh.
And I took from there the altar-hearths of Yahwah, and I dragged them before Kemosh. And the king of Israel built Jabaz and dwelt in it while he fought with me, and Kemosh drove him out from before me. And I took from Moab two hundred men, all its chiefs, and I led them against Jahaz and took it to add unto Dibon.
And I built Qarhar (?), the wall of the forests and the wall of the hill; and I built its gates and I built its towers, and I built the kings house, and I made the sluices (?) for the reservoir of water in the midst of the city.
And there was no cistern in the midst of the city, in Qarhar (?); and I said to all the people: "Make you each a cistern in his house;" and I cut the cuttings for Qarhar (?) with the help of the prisoners of Israel. I built Aroer and I made the highway by the Arnon. And I built Beth-bamoth, for it had been destroyed. And I built Bezer, for it was in ruins....(Chi) of Dibon were fifty, for all Dibon was obedient. And I ruled. And I ruled a hundred....in the cities which I had added to the land. And I built [Mede] and Beth-Diblathan. And [as for] Beth-baal-meon, there I placed sheep-raisers....sheep of the land... And [as for] Horonaim there dwelt in it....and.....Kemosh said unto me: "Go down, fight against Horonaim," and I went down and....Kemosh in my day, and from there.....and I.......

Upvote 0

SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Allah is a phase of the sun, translation "The Dawn", interpretation: Morning Star or Rising Sun. Allah is the contracted form from Alilah, {Al il ah} and the transliteral is this: The/god/ascends. The reason for the confusion is because the word "Allah" is borrowed from the Chaldean language.

My friend, this hypothesis has zero support.

• Agree
Reactions: benelchi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You newest source is a mix of truth and error:

Note: This source states that "Allah is not a name, but a descriptor that means literally, "the god". All pagan cultures have these generic terms that refer to their "top god" as "the god"." The reality is that both pagan and not pagan cultures use the phrase "the god" to refer to their god. This is a phrase that is common in both the Hebrew and Greek found in our bibles.

The article begins by stating that "Interestingly, not many Muslims want to accept that Allah was already being worshipped at the Ka'ba in Mecca by Arab pagans before Muhammad came." However, many scholars today do not believe that Mecca was even inhabited until nearly two centuries after Mohammad lived. The claim made in this article about the worship of Allah at the Ka'ba in Mecca by Arab Pagans has very little scholarly support.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You newest source is a mix of truth and error:

Note: This source states that "Allah is not a name, but a descriptor that means literally, "the god". All pagan cultures have these generic terms that refer to their "top god" as "the god"." The reality is that both pagan and not pagan cultures use the phrase "the god" to refer to their god. This is a phrase that is common in both the Hebrew and Greek found in our bibles.

The article begins by stating that "Interestingly, not many Muslims want to accept that Allah was already being worshipped at the Ka'ba in Mecca by Arab pagans before Muhammad came." However, many scholars today do not believe that Mecca was even inhabited until nearly two centuries after Mohammad lived. The claim made in this article about the worship of Allah at the Ka'ba in Mecca by Arab Pagans has very little scholarly support.
Naturally there is no one named (god) because it is a title. It is a historical and archaeological fact that people lived in Mecca long before Mohammad came along. If Muslims do not want to believe that, then they are to far gone to reason with. However, Alilah or Allah is a name, and it is a phase of the sun. Al/il/ah is the god ascends. "Il" in Aramaic means god.

Upvote 0

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Naturally there is no one named (god) because it is a title. It is a historical and archaeological fact that people lived in Mecca long before Mohammad came along.

Can you cite any ancient document that was written before 740AD that mentions Mecca?

How about an ancient map made before 740AD that includes Mecca?

A single verifiable citation will be fine.

If Muslims do not want to believe that, then they are to far gone to reason with.

Muslims want to believe Mecca was inhabited early, archeologist don't. [see Chrone (1987)].

However, Alilah or Allah is a name, and it is a phase of the sun. Al/il/ah is the god ascends. "Il" in Aramaic means god.

I am sorry but this is just nonsense, and even your source disagree with you. It states: "Allah is not a name, but a descriptor that means literally, "the god""

Upvote 0