Not open for further replies.

Theresa

With Reason
Nov 27, 2002
✟24,289.00
Faith
Catholic
Hello! How are you?

I just wanted to say that it my tradition the words "sheol" translates into "hades" in Greek and "purgatorio" in Latin and we believe it to be purgatory. "Gehenna" is considered to be the eternal hell or lake of fire.

"Then death and the world of the dead were thrown into the lake of fire."

or "Then death and Hades (sheol, purgatorio) were thrown into Gehenna," Rev 20:14 (because there were no more need of them)

Tradition holds in our church that Christ descended to the dead for three days which holds with the Jewish belief in sheol which was where people who didn't deserve hell waited until Christ came. So Christ went to sheol or purgatory and collected all those from Old Testament times who could now enter heaven because Christ had offered the atoning sacrifice.

"Jesus again gave a loud cry and breathed his last. Then the curtain hanging in the Temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split apart, the graves broke open, and many of God's people who had died were raised to life. They left the graves, and after Jesus rose from death, they went into the Holy City, where many people saw them." Matt 27:50-53

I suppose that doesn't answer your question. My church teaches that the worst thing about hell, above all, is the absence of God which means an absence of love, good, happiness, joy. All that is there is hatred and ugliness and stench and pain and absolute desolation. Of course one must consider that the fires don't burn unless God sustains them. Good question. I've never thought of it.

I've heard of a funny little thought which is kind of like a riddle. It goes like this:

God cannot move!
(I bet your thinking that's crazy!)
God cannot move because in order to move you must be in one place and not the other and since God is everywhere, then he can't move! Keep in mind that it's just an interesting thought!

Sorry to interupt, I'm new!
Thanks, Luv,
Theresa

Upvote 0
Originally posted by hobart schmedly
(Webster) If I ascend into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

Hi Hobart,

According to the Bible, in its consistancy, God is not in Hell. Hell does not even exist yet. It will exist at the end of the world when Jesus will judge the wicked. Then Hell itself will end along with death. There will be no more death or pain.

Revelation 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain : for the former things are passed away.

All of the orange words above describe Hell. Hell and the verse above cannot exist together. Life on Earth as we know it today and Hell fire will no longer exist when Jesus' judgement is complete.

The full verse reads like this:

Psalms 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there . The literal word for "hell" here is "sheol" in the original Hebrew--wich means "the grave." There is no mystery here at all. When Jesus died on the cross he went to hell in this sense. He went to the grave, the tomb--like Lazarus, Mary's brother.

The concept of an ever burning Hell (where sinners will burn without end--live throughout eternity in the flames of Hell) is not just Catholic in origin. It goes back past the Catholic church and ancient Babylon to the Garden of Eden. It stems from the very first lie told here on Earth.

Paul said: Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Jesus said: Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

(THE LIE) Satan said: Genesis 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

Who should we believe?

The doctrine of an ever burning Hell is not Biblical and it contradicts and slanders the merciful character of Jesus Christ. God is love: I Corinthians 13:1, I John 4:16. Martin Luther, one of the pioneers of the Protestant movement, did not believe in an ever burning Hell. Please have a look at the following thread for a more clarity:

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/24444.html

Your brother in Christ,
TheTruthSeeker

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.