Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
So, in your opinion, if a bunch of mean kids in school all decide to tell one slightly retarded kid he should commit suicide every day, and he finally does, there should be no prosecution for a crime here, instead we expect the kid to be able to stand up to such things?

If you're talking about school, you're talking about minors. That's different.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So we shouldn't do anything about bullying in school.

Wrong answer.

There should be consequences. Something that will cause kids to pause and think.
I didn't say we shouldn't do anything nor that there shouldn't be consequences.

Let me ask you this, if you would.
Say a woman who has been repeatedly bullied by her husband, even beaten, commits suicide should the husband be prosecuted as though her death is his fault?

Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
In my opinion, blasphemous speech should be subject to criminal prosecution. Words that offend our heavenly father such as God denialism and sacrilegious speech aren’t acceptable. If anyone advocates blasphemy, they should be arrested and hauled off to prison. Undoubtedly, laws which criminalize anti-Christian speech would mean that a lot of opponents of Christ, perhaps numbering in the hundreds of thousands, would languish in jail. But so what? Better that countless atheist lose their freedom to hate on religion than to tolerate anti-God hate speech.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say we shouldn't do anything nor that there shouldn't be consequences.

Let me ask you this, if you would.
Say a woman who has been repeatedly bullied by her husband, even beaten, commits suicide should the husband be prosecuted as though her death is his fault?
If from a coroners court the husband was found to be a factor in her death, then yes

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
n my opinion, blasphemous speech should be subject to criminal prosecution. Words that offend our heavenly father such as God denialism and sacrilegious speech aren’t acceptable.
So you think there there should be laws that are like Sharia law in Islam, what could possibly go wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Countries that value and legally support fredom of speech, are also supporting the same speech that fostered the jewish holocaust and the Rwandan genocide. Is freedom of speech open to unacceptable abuse and should it have limits?

I don't know much about Rwandan genocide, but wasn't freedom of speech suppressed in Nazi Germany? I think all, or almost all, of the most oppressive and murderous regimes in history were against freedom of speech.

On the other hand, absolute freedom of speech (like making threats against another person, for example) also doesn't seem like a good idea to me, so there should be some restrictions, I guess.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If from a coroners court the husband was found to be a factor in her death, then yes
Coroner's inquests are a rare occurrence here. Only if the legal system thinks there is something wrong with the original death report from the coroner.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When freedom of speech means freedom to lie about anyone and anything to any degree then it is no good thing. Then it becomes a witchhunt of innocent people very easily and the innocent can not prove themselves not guilty because people have always formed mobs for payment toward certain individuals that have tried to stand up for the just and for what is right. There should be some regulations, some things You need not answer or should not ask in a jobinterview or similar. Rumours and slander is also where freedom and speech should be limited, if the rumour is such that the spreader does spread it to gain something by putting the other down then the spreader might be punished instead of rewarded.

Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0