NW England
✟1,041,208.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And what I'm getting at is just because it isn't named directly, if it has sinful things in them and go against scripture, why should we then ignore it as such?

"Sinful things in them?" What do you mean by that?

We are sinners, and quite capable of taking something good and ruining it.
Music can be a blessing and aid to worship, or it can be loud, discordant with evil or destructive words. Do we ban music?
In the OT, craftsmen used their skills to build and furnish, first the tabernacle, then the temple. But people can also use these skills to make things to hurt others. Glue can be used for a variety of crafts - it can also be sniffed, and the person commit a crime while they are "high". Nails, scissors, knives can be ued for good or evil. Do you want to ban all these things because they have the potential to be used for sinful purposes?
Government benefits were introduced to give financial help to anyone who was disabled, or unable to find work and therefore hard up. They can quite easily be abused by dishonest and lazy people, but that's no reason to stop them.

It's we, the users, who are the problem - not the product. As James said; "the tongue can be used to praise God or to curse our neighbour." I doubt you'd suggest anyone cut their tongue out.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're missing my point. Smoking weed isn't named in the scriptures, so are we allowed to do that?

And what I'm getting at is just because it isn't named directly, if it has sinful things in them and go against scripture, why should we then ignore it as such?

I get your point. I don't agree with it.

Does no one ever disagree with you?

Upvote 0

IPreachChrist

Sep 12, 2010
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol, k.

I like how nobody has explained (including you bliz) why the violence in football (American football, not soccer) can be said to be ok and why it's ok to put yourself above others and seek first place when scripture tells us to seek to be last.

But you just mock me and avoid such, which isn't what Christ would do. Which I'm understanding a lot of avoidance happens on these forums. So it's fine.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,208.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol, k.

I like how nobody has explained (including you bliz) why the violence in football (American football, not soccer) can be said to be ok and why it's ok to put yourself above others and seek first place when scripture tells us to seek to be last.

Violence in football is not ok - I don't know anything about American football, so I don't know how violent it is, or if it is justified. But how do you define violence? Accidentally kicking/hurting someone when you're trying to get to the ball first, or picking up a bat and beating them senseless because it looks as though they might be winning?

Football (English) is not about putting yourself first; it's teamwork. If one member of the team is sent off for bad behaviour/language, they have left the team a player short, the manager cannot send another player on; the whole team is punished because one man couldn't control himself. If two players were arguing, they'd be expected to put those differences aside for the good of the team.
Everyone has a position to play in - they can't all be scorers. If they all put themselves first, they would all want to score the goals to win, and therefore be the heroes. The game will only be one when the team works together.

But you just mock me and avoid such, which isn't what Christ would do. Which I'm understanding a lot of avoidance happens on these forums. So it's fine.

I'm not mocking you. I've asked you the above questions before, made a number of other points and asked you to provide Scripture which says that football is a sin. So far, you've not done so; are you avoiding my questions, or just me because you think I only write "my own opinion" which apparently is not important?

Upvote 0

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lol, k.

NO ONE has said that the violence in football IS OK to begin with (at least American football isn't that violent...just senseless)...and I posted plenty of scripture already as to the acceptance of HEALTHY competition.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2010
✟15,166.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First of all, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, so if this is then I apologize.
My first post, so I have no idea if it's the right forum, either, but I will attempt an answer.
I also want to point out that I would like it if people refrained from using the phrase "Well I don't believe..." or things like that, because then this is just one's opinion and really opinions don't trump the Word of God. Ever.
Fair enough, and true.
You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men. -Mark 7:8
Yet Christ went to weddings, spent times in the homes of the sinful (presumably parties), and in general involved Himself in the world where people needed Him. Indeed, He did not come for the healthy, but the sick.
I think it's hard to notice that people will watch hours and hours of football and most likely not even crack open their Bible. This to me is showing that they are putting football over God, which is wrong and hardly showing our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
People also garden for hours on end, eat at length, read literature, or even go to church without reading the Bible for themselves, or serving the poor and needy. Football may be a direction some use to ignore God, but it is tough to say that it is inherently so. I am an avid fan of the NFL; I regularly volunteer for the poor, and my Bible is gloriously undusty.
Something I want to point out about football: It is a sport that is centered around violence. I don't think I need Bible verses to support that violence is not something Christ would do.
Christ drove money lenders from the temple twice-- once with a bullwhip. Clearly, violence is something Christ would do. So the question becomes, "Under what circumstances is violence acceptable?" I do not know. I can state that while football is definitely a game of applied force, its intention is not to harm opponents. True, some players play with that mentality, but it is not the objective or goal of the game. As an example, look when any player is injured-- both teams cheer them when they arise; neither gloats of breaking a leg or an arm, and if an individual does, they are rightly scorned. Lawrence Taylor changed the game of football with a single sack-- and yet, because of the genuine harm inflicted upon another human being has never seen a replay of that pivotal moment. The violence in football is controlled, it is not hateful, and having played backyard games, I can attest it can even be done in a spirit of love.
I know that WWJD was overused before, but I think it is something that applies still today.
The question is one that I firmly think should top every Christian's mind; while the slogan is a bit cliche, I definitely agree it applies today.
I can't see Jesus playing in the NFL (I'm sure some of you will mock me for saying this, which has been done to me before),
I can't see Jesus doing a lot of things, not because they are wrong, but because they weren't His ministry. Christ never went to China, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't.
and I can't see Jesus rooting for another team that is either winning or has just hit someone so hard they fumbled the ball.
Strangely, I can. I can see Jesus, and the Father, being pleased with great effort, and honest play. While I wouldn't classify it as "rooting for another team," I would look at the parents of Eli and Peyton Manning as probable examples: They want their boys to go out, play their best, play with respect. As Eli and Peyton are testimonies to the parenting of Archie, so are Christian football players a testament to Christ. IF they are playing with a Christian heart (and if, as I hope will be shown later, football is not in-and-of-itself sinful), and use the fame people try to put on them to glorify Christ, then I can definitely see God enjoying the play of His children.
I'm sure this next part I'm going to get heat for, and I'm okay with that, but Jesus told us that "...the last will be first, and the first will be last." (Matthew 20:16)
In the parable of the servants and the talents, it was not the servant who did nothing with his endowment who was rewarded, but the servant who did the most with what he was given. The least here was clearly not first. So, what did Christ mean? Evidently, not performance but character. If one uses football as a means to say, "I am better than you," then you have put yourself first-- and will become last. If, however, upon winning a game you do not make it a *personal* statement-- that is, not a declaration of worth or value or such, but simply, "That was a fun game; better luck next time," then it is still approached with a humble attitude and spirit. It is hard to reconcile this passage as anti-competition, but rather anti-superiority-complex.
and He also calls us to SERVE one another. Football (Along with all other sports for that matter, and this is what I'm sure might offend some of you, and for that I'm sorry if this does) tells us to beat the other person, and be better then the other team.
And yet, He let Mary Magdeline serve him, and rebuked Judas for attempting to interfere. Football, along with all other sports and games, tells us to do our best. Paul uses analogies of running the race-- all the runners try to win, and so to, he says, should we run well. While this is obviously figurative language (language he explains), I can think of no case where Christ, Paul, or any prophet used an innately sinful situation to demonstrate what should be done. Paul does not, for example, say, "In an orgy..." and then relate it to Christianity. If running a race is an acceptable metaphor for Christian behavior, then it seems competition itself is not the problem; we should always strive to do our best. If it is done meanspiritedly, or with hatred, that is on the individual... not the base competition itself (unless, of course, someone is having a "let's see who can be the most meanspirited and hateful" contest, but you get my point).
Where is this conduct EVER supported in scripture? If you would like to use any of the wars that were started for God's people, that's kind of a weak argument because God never wanted or asked for football to glorify Him or His people.
A little ahead of myself here, but I'd again reference Paul's analogy of runners in the race. My brain is teasing me with other sporty-analogies from Isaiah or Jeremiah, but I could not pull any up off the top of my head.
The Word of God is clear. Serve others, treat others as you would like to be treated, be last and not seek to be first...
When I was growing up, my dad and I used to play chess ever night after dinner. From the age of 8 until 14, I never once won a game. He beat me at it mercilessly, and ruthlessly... yet I would insist to this day that he was serving me in his competition. I learned patience, foresight, that actions have consequences. If I am in a competition with another, there are always lessons to be learned-- and I do my competition a grave disservice if I do not try my best. "As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another." (Proverbs 27:17).
The traditions of man have made it seem like football and all other sports (Which are NOT a gray area, they are NOT neutral, you are either for God, or against God, there is no on the fence) are an okay thing.
Reading is neither for God, nor against God. Eating is not for God, nor against Him. Going to church is neither for God, nor against Him. People may be for God, or against Him, and thus what they do is either for Him, or not.
But according to scripture, it seems clear that they are against what God teaches us.
It does? Where?
I've recently been reading on this forum and it troubles me because a lot of people here seem to just claim, "I have faith! And now I can do whatever I want!" Excuse me?
My pastor used an absurdism with us growing up, "Sex is evil, evil is sin, sin is forgiven, so sex is in!" Clearly, the line of reasoning is wrong. "Should I continue sinning that Christ's grace may increase? By all means no!" (Romans 6:1-2). You're quite right to say that such statements are anti-Biblical.
Although these exact words aren't used, my brothers and sisters in Christ, what did James write to us? Faith without works is DEAD. We need to act upon our faith. We are not to be of this world.
As a football fan, I can quite readily be a witness to others that ribaldry and entertainment do not necessitate lust, hatred, or other such behaviors. While there are other venues, I can participate in things that are not sinful, in the presence of the sinful.
If you claim to have faith but act like the Devil, are you then still saved? Where is your faith that you have been claiming to now? If you really love God, you will live by His word
This is... mostly true. I would say that, if you really love God, you will try to live by His word. We are none of us perfect.
and football does not live by His word in the least bit.
I am still not sure that you have shown this.
I pray for guidance and spiritual growth for myself, and everybody here. This conversation never leads to scripture, but always people using their own words never backed up with the Word of God. This will benefit that topic nothing, nor will it be benefited if you touch on ONE thing I have said.
Without meaning to sound provocative, there are several cases here where you have made personal statements, and then said "Scripture clearly shows..."
I really challenge you to take into consideration the main points I brought up: Football is centered around violence (Which Jesus teaches us NOT to do)
Jesus says nothing of the sort. As with everything, He is concerned with your heart. You can be decidedly non-violent (physically), but exceptionally violent passively (in your heart). You can be violent physically (as long as it is in a mutually agreed upon context), yet have a humble and loving heart. Moreover, Christ praises a Centurion, Paul equates Christian living with "putting on the armor of God," clearly a warlike metaphor, and later Paul uses metaphors of soldiers in his address to Timothy. Violence is about context. I cannot say for sure that the context of football is acceptable, but I can say with surety that at least what you have shown to this point does not say it is unacceptable.
Football is centered around BEATING the other person (We are asked to serve others, and put others BEFORE ourselves)
Football is centered on good-natured competition between consenting adults having fun. It is not attempting to state, "I am better than you," merely, "I played a better game... this time."
Football is very selfish, it's all about ME and my team (We are asked to be selfless and, again, put others before our own needs)
Football is exceptionally unselfish. Players for whom it is all about "Me" lose. If it is a matter of "my team," then... basically everything is selfish. I spend time with the poor, and while I may neglect my own well-being for the sake of others, I do not sacrifice my wife or my child. They, of course, may make such a decision. It is not about genuinely harming others, or forever crippling them... that is, it is not about altering the living standards or lives of others; it is about a friendly competition.
Football brings glory to the people on the field, not Christ.
This is pure conjecture. "Farming brings glory to the farmer, not Christ." Balderdash. Utilizing the gifts the Father has given you, and acknowledging the source of those gifts, giving honest thanks for your success and honest thanks for lessons learned in losses certainly brings glory to Christ-- no matter what you are doing.
(How much money have you spent on a football game or a jersey, compared to how much you've tithed or put in the offering recently?)
This is... strange. How much money have you spent on your computer? Your house? Your dinner plate? Your car maintenance/payments? Your clothes? Your whatever. Note, this is a generic "you". People are perfectly capable of tithing (and more than tithe), and still enjoy football. This seems a bitter and meanspirited comment, certainly not one based on Scripture.
Most people spend more time in football, fantasy football, and thinking about the sport than they do in the Word of God or their thoughts about Christ.
This is speculative, not Scriptural. It is impossible to prove, and is missing the point anyway: Most people spend more time asleep than they do thinking about God. Most people will spend more time eating than they will reading the Bible. Most people will spend more time driving to and from work (at least in America), than they will reading the Bible... the list goes on. My claim is not that football is a grand holy thing, that God loves football, or that anyone who hates football is a wrongheaded hate-monger. But Scripture is neutral on many things-- football, I think, is one. There are some things Scripture out-right forbids; Christians would be wise to note these. There are others that are absolutely grey areas. But what is not grey, is your heart, your motivation. The question, with most things not explicitly labeled in the Bible as sin, is not, "is this sinful?" but, "Is my attitude sinful?" If you are approaching *anything*-- even reading the Bible or attending church or serving the poor-- for any reason other than glorifying God, you are in the wrong. If you are playing football for the purpose of glorifying God, then it seems unjustifiable to claim that it is wrong. As for smoking weed, we are told, "Do not get drunk on wine." (Eph. 5:18). While not a specific mention of wacky tabacky, I think the parallel is quite evident and immediate-- unless there is something unique about wine-induced inebriation, inebriation is inebriation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.