Not open for further replies.

IPreachChrist

Sep 12, 2010
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, so if this is then I apologize.

I also want to point out that I would like it if people refrained from using the phrase "Well I don't believe..." or things like that, because then this is just one's opinion and really opinions don't trump the Word of God. Ever.

You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men. -Mark 7:8

I think it's hard to notice that people will watch hours and hours of football and most likely not even crack open their Bible. This to me is showing that they are putting football over God, which is wrong and hardly showing our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Something I want to point out about football: It is a sport that is centered around violence. I don't think I need Bible verses to support that violence is not something Christ would do. I know that WWJD was overused before, but I think it is something that applies still today. I can't see Jesus playing in the NFL (I'm sure some of you will mock me for saying this, which has been done to me before), and I can't see Jesus rooting for another team that is either winning or has just hit someone so hard they fumbled the ball.

I'm sure this next part I'm going to get heat for, and I'm okay with that, but Jesus told us that "...the last will be first, and the first will be last." (Matthew 20:16) and He also calls us to SERVE one another. Football (Along with all other sports for that matter, and this is what I'm sure might offend some of you, and for that I'm sorry if this does) tells us to beat the other person, and be better then the other team.

Where is this conduct EVER supported in scripture? If you would like to use any of the wars that were started for God's people, that's kind of a weak argument because God never wanted or asked for football to glorify Him or His people.

The Word of God is clear. Serve others, treat others as you would like to be treated, be last and not seek to be first... The traditions of man have made it seem like football and all other sports (Which are NOT a gray area, they are NOT neutral, you are either for God, or against God, there is no on the fence) are an okay thing. But according to scripture, it seems clear that they are against what God teaches us.

I've recently been reading on this forum and it troubles me because a lot of people here seem to just claim, "I have faith! And now I can do whatever I want!" Excuse me? Although these exact words aren't used, my brothers and sisters in Christ, what did James write to us? Faith without works is DEAD. We need to act upon our faith. We are not to be of this world.

If you claim to have faith but act like the Devil, are you then still saved? Where is your faith that you have been claiming to now? If you really love God, you will live by His word and football does not live by His word in the least bit.

I pray for guidance and spiritual growth for myself, and everybody here. This conversation never leads to scripture, but always people using their own words never backed up with the Word of God. This will benefit that topic nothing, nor will it be benefited if you touch on ONE thing I have said.

I really challenge you to take into consideration the main points I brought up:

Football is centered around violence (Which Jesus teaches us NOT to do)
Football is centered around BEATING the other person (We are asked to serve others, and put others BEFORE ourselves)
Football is very selfish, it's all about ME and my team (We are asked to be selfless and, again, put others before our own needs)
Football brings glory to the people on the field, not Christ (How much money have you spent on a football game or a jersey, compared to how much you've tithed or put in the offering recently?)
Most people spend more time in football, fantasy football, and thinking about the sport than they do in the Word of God or their thoughts about Christ.

Blessings to you all.

IPreachChrist

Sep 12, 2010
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Football is a popular sport, so don't expect people to be in favor of what your trying to say.

I'll give this topic some thought and get back to you (I'm really tired right now and it is very late).

Thank you for being willing to offer feedback when you can. And I definitely wasn't looking for people to be in favor of what I'm saying, but I'm still hoping for some maturity and kindness from those who do respond.

Upvote 0

IPreachChrist

Sep 12, 2010
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think football is a sin, but footballers wages are.

Sell a couple of players and give the money to hospitals - the really DO deal with matters of life and death.

I understand that you don't "think" football is a sin. But my question is, according to scripture, WHY do you think this? I have come to the conclusion after going through much scripture that the Bible seems to explain that it is.

Upvote 0

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know about it being a sin...but I DO know that most (American) football fans are the most boorish, selfish, mean, violent people I have ever had the displeasure of coming across...and I am ETERNALLY grateful that my husband has never liked the sport!

(BTW, I can give you some very specific circumstances that back my opinion...just ask...)

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,049,893.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand that you don't "think" football is a sin. But my question is, according to scripture, WHY do you think this? I have come to the conclusion after going through much scripture that the Bible seems to explain that it is.

Football itself is a game, a sport or hobby. It's also a source of exercise. Would you say that 5 or 6 boys kicking a ball around in a park were sinning, for example?

What is disgraceful, if not sinful, is the massive amounts of money being paid to players, managers, in transfer fees, and all the rest of it.

As for the attitudes you mention;
Yes, football, or anything else, can become a god and people spend more time with it than the Bible. But if they don't know God, or want to know him, they will probably look to make an idol out of something - work, drink, drugs, food or whatever. Everyone worships something - whether they admit to it or not; and most people spend time, money and give attention to those things which interest/excite them or which they consider to be important. If someone doesn't believe in God, why would they want to give him any of their time or attention? And if someone does know God, but their love of football, or anything, is getting out of hand and becoming an idol, then maybe they need to be challenged about why that is, and the place that God should have in their lives.
It all comes down to relationship - if you love God and want to know him better and spend time with him, reading the Bible and praying will be a joy, not a chore. If you say you love him but don't want to give him any time, then the question should be asked, why not?
But telling someone not to watch/play football but to read their Bibles instead, will probably not have much effect - or if it does, it will produce Christians who do things out of guilt or fear of punishment.

Competitiveness is not necessarily a sin, it depends if it is at the expense of hurting or belittling anyone else. You can compete for good things.
Football is commercial - it's also the players' careers. They HAVE to win their games to get points, be at the top of the league, be in the cup or whatever. If they do and are, the team gets sponsorship and more money, and can buy more players, improve their grounds - for example with wheelchair access, so that disabled people can get to watch the sport - and so on. If they go onto the pitch and play to lose, concede goals or whatever, the team'll do badly, they'll lose money, close down and people will be out of a job.

Football is a team game. (I've just realised I am talking about English football, and you may not be, but I think probably the same principles apply.) If a player gets sent off for bad behaviour, the team is a player short (as they can't replace them) and is at a disadvantage. If two players get sent off, the team is two men down etc. The teaching that if one member suffers, all suffer", is Scriptural (1 Cor 12).
Teams are only rivals on the pitch - often the players will be good friends off it. When there have been times of tragedy, teams have stood alongside each other in their sorrow.
Yes of course everyone wants to win - I think most people want to do their jobs well. Scripture says, "Whatever you work at, work at it with your whole heart as for the Lord"

I think the only way football might bring glory to Christ, is if the whole team were Christian, prayed before eah match, did their very best, believing that God gave them their skills and they were using them for him, and refused to resort to foul play or do anything which might in any way dishonour his name. Some teams have their own chaplain, who might well be encouraging such an attitude.

Is the concept of eveyone wanting their own team to be the best, have more fans etc THAT different from clergy who encourage people to join their church, or teach that other churches are not quite correct in their teaching, or do not have the truth?

The game of football is not a sin - what other people have made it, may be.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Assuming you're being sarcastic, I was hoping for a better and kinder response that that.

Sorry for my sarcastic remark - it was the first thing that popped into my head.

God gave us 10 commandments, and the human race hasn't learned to abide by those yet, nor has any single person. When we have mastered the 10, I suppose we can go look for new and different kinds of sins to expunge from our lives, but until such time, I think we are all quite busy dealing with the sin in our lives that God has already directly pointed out.

When we have rid ourselves of hatred and abuse, stealing and coveting, lustful thoughts and unloving hearts, selfishness and greed, to name but a few, then we can consider if other activities in our lives might be sinful. Until then, we have more than enough work to do trying to build the Kingdom and become more like Him. Meanwhile, analyzing the sinfulness of football or basketball or tiddlywinks is just a waste of time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IPreachChrist

Sep 12, 2010
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry for my sarcastic remark - it was the first thing that popped into my head.

God gave us 10 commandments, and the human race hasn't learned to abide by those yet, nor has any single person. When we have mastered the 10, I suppose we can go look for new and different kinds of sins to expunge from our lives, but until such time, I think we are all quite busy dealing with the sin in our lives that God has already directly pointed out.

When we have rid ourselves of hatred and abuse, stealing and coveting, lustful thoughts and unloving hearts, selfishness and greed, to name but a few, then we can consider if other activities in our lives might be sinful. Until then, we have more than enough work to do trying to build the Kingdom and become more like Him. Meanwhile, analyzing the sinfulness of football or basketball or tiddlywinks is just a waste of time.

So you believe in taking out "major" sins from our lives that are noticeable, but keep the "minor" ones in our lives that people either don't notice or don't take as sins?

That doesn't sound like something Jesus would say.

Upvote 0

IPreachChrist

Sep 12, 2010
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Football itself is a game, a sport or hobby. It's also a source of exercise. Would you say that 5 or 6 boys kicking a ball around in a park were sinning, for example?

What is disgraceful, if not sinful, is the massive amounts of money being paid to players, managers, in transfer fees, and all the rest of it.

As for the attitudes you mention;
Yes, football, or anything else, can become a god and people spend more time with it than the Bible. But if they don't know God, or want to know him, they will probably look to make an idol out of something - work, drink, drugs, food or whatever. Everyone worships something - whether they admit to it or not; and most people spend time, money and give attention to those things which interest/excite them or which they consider to be important. If someone doesn't believe in God, why would they want to give him any of their time or attention? And if someone does know God, but their love of football, or anything, is getting out of hand and becoming an idol, then maybe they need to be challenged about why that is, and the place that God should have in their lives.
It all comes down to relationship - if you love God and want to know him better and spend time with him, reading the Bible and praying will be a joy, not a chore. If you say you love him but don't want to give him any time, then the question should be asked, why not?
But telling someone not to watch/play football but to read their Bibles instead, will probably not have much effect - or if it does, it will produce Christians who do things out of guilt or fear of punishment.

Competitiveness is not necessarily a sin, it depends if it is at the expense of hurting or belittling anyone else. You can compete for good things.
Football is commercial - it's also the players' careers. They HAVE to win their games to get points, be at the top of the league, be in the cup or whatever. If they do and are, the team gets sponsorship and more money, and can buy more players, improve their grounds - for example with wheelchair access, so that disabled people can get to watch the sport - and so on. If they go onto the pitch and play to lose, concede goals or whatever, the team'll do badly, they'll lose money, close down and people will be out of a job.

Football is a team game. (I've just realised I am talking about English football, and you may not be, but I think probably the same principles apply.) If a player gets sent off for bad behaviour, the team is a player short (as they can't replace them) and is at a disadvantage. If two players get sent off, the team is two men down etc. The teaching that if one member suffers, all suffer", is Scriptural (1 Cor 12).
Teams are only rivals on the pitch - often the players will be good friends off it. When there have been times of tragedy, teams have stood alongside each other in their sorrow.
Yes of course everyone wants to win - I think most people want to do their jobs well. Scripture says, "Whatever you work at, work at it with your whole heart as for the Lord"

I think the only way football might bring glory to Christ, is if the whole team were Christian, prayed before eah match, did their very best, believing that God gave them their skills and they were using them for him, and refused to resort to foul play or do anything which might in any way dishonour his name. Some teams have their own chaplain, who might well be encouraging such an attitude.

Is the concept of eveyone wanting their own team to be the best, have more fans etc THAT different from clergy who encourage people to join their church, or teach that other churches are not quite correct in their teaching, or do not have the truth?

The game of football is not a sin - what other people have made it, may be.

I'm not really sure where to start....

The argument that it's the players career is BESIDE the point. What about strippers? It's their career to strip and make money, but their job is clearly a sin. If football (I'm talking about American football by the way, but sports in general works for me too) is a sin like I'm suggesting, then it doesn't matter if it is that person's career.

Competition, in itself goes completely against the teachings of Jesus. He teaches us to put others before ourselves and to serve others. Competition hardly does any of this. In fact, competition teaches you to beat the other people and put yourself above them. I hardly see this as a principle that could be supported anywhere in scripture!

I'm sorry, I don't mean this is a rude way but I'm not sure if I should/need to respond to what you said because I still feel like you're just giving your personal opinion and trying to justify to yourself and to others whether it's okay to watch/engage in strictly for your own personal satisfaction and not the satisfaction of Christ.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you believe in taking out "major" sins from our lives that are noticeable, but keep the "minor" ones in our lives that people either don't notice or don't take as sins?

That doesn't sound like something Jesus would say.

Nor is it something I would say, because I didn't say that.

I'm advocating we work to rid ourselves of the sins God has named before we go on inventing sins that God did not feel a need to discuss.

Upvote 0

IPreachChrist

Sep 12, 2010
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"When we have mastered the 10, I suppose we can go look for new and different kinds of sins to expunge from our lives"

It's obvoius we can't master the 10 commandments, because that's impossible. So you are actually advocating that we just focus on the "majors" and leave the "minor" ones out of it.

And since God didn't discuss smoking weed, can we do that? I just want to be clear on where you're coming from.

And if you say that elsewhere in the Bible it says to keep the body as a temple of God or something else rather, I've used much scripture that shows that God did in fact teach us to disregard football and recognize that it's not something He would want us involved in. But you're ignoring the scripture.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,049,893.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The argument that it's the players career is BESIDE the point. What about strippers? It's their career to strip and make money, but their job is clearly a sin.

I wasn't putting forward the argument about careers as proof that it's not a sin, just trying to make the point that because this is how it is, and it IS their career, obviously they are going to want to be the best they can at it. Also, if the sport was abandones, or closed down, a lot of people would be out of work. Is that Scriptural - making someone unemployed because you don't agree with the way they make their money? Atheists could legitimately use that argument for sacking clergymen.

If football (I'm talking about American football by the way, but sports in general works for me too) is a sin like I'm suggesting, then it doesn't matter if it is that person's career.

But it isn't a sin.

I'm sorry, I don't mean this is a rude way but I'm not sure if I should/need to respond to what you said because I still feel like you're just giving your personal opinion and trying to justify to yourself and to others whether it's okay to watch/engage in strictly for your own personal satisfaction and not the satisfaction of Christ.

Funnily enough, I nearly didn't resppond to your post because I couldn't decide if it was genuine.

But anyway, you want to talk about this Scripturally? (I'll have to talk about English football, since I know marginally more about that than American)

1. Sin is defined as falling short of the glory of God (Rom 3:23.) It came into the world when Adam chose to disobey a command he had received directly from God (Genesis 2:16-17) He blamed Eve for tempting him, but he had received God's word for himself and decided to disobey it.
Prior to this, Lucifer (the devil) who had been created as an angel of light, had decided he wanted to be greater than God, rebelled against him, lost, and was thrown out of heaven to live on the earth. (Rev 12:7-9).
So sin essentially came about, and into our world, because people (or ven an angel) decided that they knew better than God, or didn't have to accept his rule, word or authority - falling short of his glory.

2. There are many sins listed in Scripture, and many examples of people putting themselves first instead of giving glory to God, giving their worship and allegience to idols, not honouring the God who made and saved them, or harming the other people whom God made in his image.
Football is not listed as one of these. 22 people kicking a ball around a pitch, trying to score a goal or prevent others from doing so, is not taking glory from God, disobeying his direct command or anything like that. As I said, it is a game, a hobby, a form of exercise - none of which is forbidden in Scripture.

3. Scripture does not address issues like hobbies, games or sports. These are not moral, or spiritual, issues. How can kicking a football be either right or wrong? How can it detract from God's glory or deny who he is?
Scripture doesn't even condemn the chariot races, gladiator fighting and so on that went on at that time.
JWs say that they don't celebrate birthdays, because the only time one is mentioned in Scripture, it resulted in the death of someone. But that doesn't mean God thinks birthdays are evil, or sinful.
So there is nothing in Scripture which says that football, or sport, is a sin.

4. Competition itself is not sinful. People compete in races to try to win a prize or trophy. They may be better than others on the track that day; it doesn't mean they are morally superior, more intelligent, more worthy or honourable people. God loves everyone just the same. Dame Kelly Holmes is not a better person than I am, morally superior, more worthy of God's love or whatever - she's just better at running. I could be better at another subject than she is; that doesn't make ME a better person, superior, or whatever, just that I may know more about a particular subject than she does. We all have things we are good at, and things we are not so good at - that doesn't alter the fact that in God's eyes we are all sinners and need to be saved by accepting his Son. Even then, Christians are not better than non Christians, just forgiven and living God's way.
So competition is all about being the best you can be, so that you, or your team, may perform to your best ability and win a particular even or trophy. The person who wins that trophy is not a better - morally superior, more righteous or worthy - person than the one who didn't; just that they put more effort in, trained harder, received fewer injuries or whatever than the others. And the following season. it all begins again; level playing field.
You can obviously have unhealthy competition in lfe - when someone wants a job or promotion and is prepared to lie, or belittle or walk all over the other applicants to get it. That's not good. But that doesn't mean that positions of authority are themselves bad - Jesus didn't condemn kings, leaders, chief Rabbis etc for holding that position, or say that no one should try to be the best they can in their career.

5. And it does still raise the question of whether or not you should dismiss, or try to ban something, just because you consider it may be a sin. If you are arguing that football is a sin and unscriptural, you should be able to show Scriptures which support that view. And as there are none which say that sport, football, hobbies are a sin, you'd find it very difficult.
I could almost say that you are only promoting YOUR opinion, since the Bible does not comment on the matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can't believe I'm doing this - as much as I despise football - but here are some Bible verses that kinda support competitive sports:

(1 Corinthians 9:24-27) Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

(Galatians 5:7) You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth?

(2 Timothy 4:7) I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

If good, healthy competition wasn't Biblical or approved, I don't think they would have been used as a metaphor.

• Prayers
Reactions: Selah Chunem
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,049,893.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't believe I'm doing this - as much as I despise football - but here are some Bible verses that kinda support competitive sports:

If good, healthy competition wasn't Biblical or approved, I don't think they would have been used as a metaphor.

Good points. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Selah Chunem
Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's obvoius we can't master the 10 commandments, because that's impossible. So you are actually advocating that we just focus on the "majors" and leave the "minor" ones out of it.

No. I am arguing that we work on eliminating the sins God has named. Greed, lust, drunkenness... named. Football? Not mentioned.

...I've used much scripture that shows that God did in fact teach us to disregard football and recognize that it's not something He would want us involved in. But you're ignoring the scripture.

You used scripture that you claim supports your premise that football is a sin. I'm not ignoring scripture, I'm disagreeing with you.

Upvote 0

IPreachChrist

Sep 12, 2010
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. I am arguing that we work on eliminating the sins God has named. Greed, lust, drunkenness... named. Football? Not mentioned.

You used scripture that you claim supports your premise that football is a sin. I'm not ignoring scripture, I'm disagreeing with you.

You're missing my point. Smoking weed isn't named in the scriptures, so are we allowed to do that?

And what I'm getting at is just because it isn't named directly, if it has sinful things in them and go against scripture, why should we then ignore it as such?

Upvote 0

LyraJean

Mar 6, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟8,900.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Smoking weed or doing any drug can be bad because it leads to addiction. Addiction causes a person to put (name item of addiction here) above everything else.

So it could be shopping, drugs, sports, whatever you put above everything else is of course a sin.

*For example, and I'll even use football. If a couple has an anniversary or even say their children's play to attend and one person of that decides that they would rather stay home and watch the football game instead of attending their child's play or celebrating their own anniversary then yeah I would constitute that as a sin. If said person can forgo watching the game on that special occasion evening and it's not a problem. They can enjoy themselves and not preoccupied because they are missing the game. Then no, I don't see it as a sin. If they reluctantly go and are preoccupied throughout the entire special event then that person may have a problem.

*I left gender specifically vague as I know both men and women who are deeply interested in football.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.