Is Fasting Biblical?

GeorgiaGuy

Apr 22, 2004
Atlanta area
✟303.00
Faith
Baptist
I ask this question, as I've never seen any Biblical verses that tell us to deprive ourselves of food and water.

If you can provide a verse, it'd be greatly appreciated. I'm talking about verses that actually tell us to fast, not something to the effect of "to give up the ways of the world to God", which is prone to interpretation.

rainbowprism

Elevate My Soul
May 4, 2004
Ohio
✟1,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Here's some:

Matthew Chapter 6 discusses fasting for the purpose of glorfying God and not to draw attention as to appear pious. Note it says when you fast, not if.

Acts 13:2-- "While they were worshipping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said..."

Jesus himself fasted to gain closer communion with the Father (ex. Matthew 4:1)--"Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. After fasting for forty days..."

I believe there is a biblical principle for fasting. However, I do feel that some people aren't suited for it. If you were to start fasting and as a result of being hungry began to snap at everyone and focus only on being hungry, than you'd be missing the entire purpose of coming closer to God. Also, I feel people that have hypoglycemia or have recovered from eating disorders would be excused from this as well. Basically, the issue of fasting isn't about food...it's about using that time instead to draw closer to God. I admit this is a spiritual discipline that I am NOT very disciplined about but I can support fasting as a biblical truth. If you decide to fast please remember that you aren't supposed to deprive yourself of water! Before you fast, find out more about what exactly are 'the rules'.

Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuy

Apr 22, 2004
Atlanta area
✟303.00
Faith
Baptist
No, I don't intend to fast, as I never understood the justification. It simply doesn't make any sense to me, as depriving yourself of food only will intensify your desire to feed yourself.

Missionaries, before they witness to hungry people in Africa, feed them, because it's been said that the people aren't prone to listen to the Gospel if they're starving or hungry. The body is such that a deprivation of food renders the brain incapable of concentrating on anything but the fact that you need to get food.

Sure, fasting for a day is possible, but is that really a sacrafice?

Furthermore, Jesus is the Son of God. Thus, He is God. Just because God can do something does not mean that mortal humans can. Sure, we are to be more Christ-like, but I don't think that entails that we can do everything that God can do. In my opinion, that is to say that we are as powerful as God, which simply isn't so.

Upvote 0

TugOwar

Warrior for Christ
Feb 27, 2004
South Texas
Visit site
✟561.00
Faith
Christian
GeorgiaGuy, where at in GA? I lived there over 20 years before moving to Texas.

GeorgiaGuy said:
Just because God can do something does not mean that mortal humans can.
Christ was not the only one in the Bible who fasted, so to say that arguement doesn't work.

Fasting, IMO, is about seeking a closer relationship with God by denying the flesh. Also, I think you'll find that accounts of fasting in The Bible almost ALWAYS include prayer. Prayer, communication with God, is essential to fasting, because that communication is what it is all about anyway.
As Rainbow said, fasting may not be for everyone.

And remember, it is not ourselves that are able to overcome the needs and wants of the flesh, it is The Holy Spirit within us that overcomes.

Here is a *list* of the places in The Bible where the words fast, fasted, fasting appear. A little reading goes along way. God Bless.

Judges 20:26
1 Samuel 7:6
1 Samuel 31:13
2 Samuel 1:12
2 Samuel 12:16
2 Samuel 12:21
2 Samuel 12:22
2 Samuel 12:23
1 Kings 21:27
1 Chronicles 10:12
Ezra 8:23
Nehemiah 1:4
Isaiah 58:3
Zechariah 7:5
Matthew 4:2
Acts 13:2
Acts 13:3
Nehemiah 9:1
Esther 4:3
Esther 9:31
Psalm 35:13
Psalm 69:10
Psalm 109:24
Jeremiah 36:6
Daniel 6:18
Daniel 9:3
Joel 2:12
Matthew 15:32
Matthew 17:21
Mark 8:3
Mark 9:29
Luke 2:37
Acts 10:30
Acts 14:23
Acts 27:33
1 Corinthians 7:5
2 Corinthians 6:5
2 Corinthians 11:27

* May not be a complete list.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fasting prior to Liturgical services and Sacraments in the NT Church

The Holy Apostle St. Luke said:
Act 13:1-3 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. (2) As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. (3) And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

Upvote 0

Nickolai

Eastern Orthodox Priest
Dec 31, 2003
Bethlehem, PA
Visit site
✟10,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
GeorgiaGuy said:
Furthermore, Jesus is the Son of God. Thus, He is God. Just because God can do something does not mean that mortal humans can. Sure, we are to be more Christ-like, but I don't think that entails that we can do everything that God can do. In my opinion, that is to say that we are as powerful as God, which simply isn't so.

Explain the Monks on Mount Athos who fast for the whole of Lent then. they eat nothing.

And your implying that Jesus' divinity is more important than his humanity. Plese don't do that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

C.A.B.L

Apr 5, 2004
Houston, Texas
✟663.00
Faith
Christian
rainbowprism said:
Like I said, if it isn't useful to you becuase it will be a distraction. Don't do it.
First of all, Jesus was a living example for us to follow. Which means everything He did and every motive behind what He said is the measure in which we should follow Him. Its like this: Your saying that since Jesus was God He was capable of doing things that we can't, this is true. However, everything in His earthly ministry was for our benefit, ever parable, every miracle. Here is another example; Your saying Jesus could fast because He was God, so we shouldn't fast and/or we dont have the power to fast. So should we not forgive because we don't have the power to forgive? Certainly not! any power we have comes from the Lord. And we are commanded to Georgia Matt 6:16 "when you fast" not if.

The Bible is our example, everything it says is for our benefit. Fasting hold limitless potential not for God's benefit but for us, just like giving is an act of worhip, so is fasting an act of worship because we surrender our bodies to the God who bought it at a price. I think that pretty much explains it. You can accept it or not, but you will be the one out of the Will of God.

Upvote 0

KennySe

Habemus Papam!
Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
✟14,554.00
Faith
Catholic
GeorgiaGuy said:

Are you saying that Jesus was not 100% human when he walked the Earth? That he was some kind of "looks a lot like a human but isn't really a human"?

_____

And per the Op's request, Mark 9:29
And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

Upvote 0

El Wardinio

Evidence of grace
May 24, 2004
Cabin 168
✟7,653.00
Faith
Christian
I'm not the biggest theologian on Earth, but I can say - along with agreeing with what the Bible says on the matter (have you ever tried arguing with the Bible? You don't win, not ever) - that fasting makes a difference. I've been fasting pretty much continuously since the beginning of Lent (not all food all the time, but enough to make me notice the pain..like, right now, I'm hungry), and since then God's done more in my life than He has for years. Fasting is not the only reason for this, there are many other factors involved, but fasting serves as a constant reminder to keep on track with God with your entire lifestyle - once you limit what/when you eat, you can't forget who you're living for.

So...by all means fast - my recommendation for those who need energy for their jobs and thus have to eat something? Fast like Daniel did (Dan 10:2) - drink only water, eat only savoury vegetarian food. Plus (and this bit isn't in the Bible) don't eat anything between meals, not even savoury stuff. If you're like me and really enjoy eating, then this has a bigger effect than you'd think - the discipline is hard to stick to to start with, and you'll find that people offer you cake and stuff much more often than before!

And, this being the hardest part for me, live what Jesus says in Matt 6:16-18. This means that, unless directly asked, you don't even tell people you're fasting, let alone moan about how hard it is! But He goes on to say that "your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you" - what a statement from the Son of God! Keep the focus at all times on God - that being the whole point of fasting - and you won't go far wrong.

James x

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, fasting is biblical. However it should be done within the Church and under the guidance of your priest/spiritual father. Orthodox Christians fast, but from meat and dairy, not everyting, except on certain days. Even if they totally fast from everything up on Mt. Athos, they are not doing it on their own. They are under the guidance of an elder, usually the abbot of the monastery. This is a "don't try this at home" warning.

Upvote 0

ronnieb2003

May 28, 2004
✟122.00
Faith
Christian
i disagree completely katherine. i dont think that any member of the church should be involved with it, unless a close friend for the sake of accountability (if at all)

it is a very personal thing between the person and God.
it is saying "I put my faith in you to provide the spiritual nourishment"
it is denying self in a very directly influential way...choosing NOT to eat while your body tells you TO eat. exercising your mind over your body.

paul said we should make our bodies our slaves. as christians, we should control our body, and not let our body control our actions.
its hard and im not perfect, but i believe this is correct thought.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ronnieb2003 said:
i disagree completely katherine. i dont think that any member of the church should be involved with it, unless a close friend for the sake of accountability (if at all)

it is a very personal thing between the person and God.

it is saying "I put my faith in you to provide the spiritual nourishment"

As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
(Acts 13:2-3 KJV)

This clearly show that fasting is a corporate act, not simply an individual act of piety. Scripture also shows a prototypical spiritual relationship between a spiritual father (Paul) and his spiritual son (Timothy) to whom he gives guidance and counsel.

it is denying self in a very directly influential way...choosing NOT to eat while your body tells you TO eat. exercising your mind over your body.

paul said we should make our bodies our slaves. as christians, we should control our body, and not let our body control our actions.
its hard and im not perfect, but i believe this is correct thought.

Agreed. Though I would extend body to include the passions and the demons that seek to control us through them.

Upvote 0