Is Esther a type of Mary?

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Interceding for the people before the king?
Mary doesn't interceded for us. Show me in the Bible. In fact Mary was a poor example. Cases in point:

"Then Jesus entered a house, and again a crowd gathered, so that he and his disciples were not even able to eat. When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, 'He is out of his mind.'" Mark 3:20,21 Then if we continue on to verse 31 when they actually arrived it says: Then Jesus’ mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him. A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, "Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you." "Who are my mother and my brothers?" he asked. Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother."Mark 3:31-35 Now we understand the sense of what Jesus meant. For at this point his mother and brothers were not doing the will of God in attempting to take him away from his ministry. And we see further evidence in John 7 that his brothers held him in contempt. This was kind of a rebuke, an insult to Mary who came to interfere with his mission. Who did Jesus say was his "mother" here? He looked away from Mary and look at those seated around him and viewed them as his mother instead. We can at least deduce from this that Jesus didn't make a big deal about his mother Mary. And certainly didn't make her into a goddess as the Catholic Church has done. And when it comes to incidents like this where she is not doing God's will she is less than no big deal. In view of her behavior here Christ wouldn't even acknowledge her as his mother until she repents.

Blessed Among Women

One justification Catholics may give for their idolatrous veneration of Mary is the fact that she was "blessed" in bearing the Messiah.

Luke 1:41 "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!"
Luke 1:48 "From now on all generations will call me blessed."But Jesus said that lots of people are blessed, yet Catholics don't likewise worship them.Luke 6:20 Blessed are you poor
Luke 6:21 Blessed are you who hunger now,
Luke 6:21 Blessed are you who weep now
Luke 6:22 Blessed are you when men hate you
1Peter 1:14 If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you.

But in contrast notice Jesus response to this idea of Mary's blessedness.While Jesus was saying these things, one of the women in the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, "Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed." But He said, "On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it." Luke 11:27,28 Thus in contrast to hearing and doing the Word of God, Jesus thought little of the blessedness of his mother bearing him - and so also his followers. For the New Testament authors speak very little of Mary.

• Informative
Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0

Protestantismvsthebible

Jun 29, 2018
Dallas
✟5,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Esther was a type of Christ when she interceded for the people. Hebrews 7:25, 1 John 2:2 1 Timothy 2:5

Ok but I would think the king would be a type of Christ the King, Mary a type of Esther as she does in Jn 2

Jn 2:11 This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.

It was Mary interceding?

Upvote 0

Protestantismvsthebible

Jun 29, 2018
Dallas
✟5,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Mary doesn't interceded for us. Show me in the Bible. In fact Mary was a poor example. Cases in point:

"Then Jesus entered a house, and again a crowd gathered, so that he and his disciples were not even able to eat. When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, 'He is out of his mind.'" Mark 3:20,21 Then if we continue on to verse 31 when they actually arrived it says: Then Jesus’ mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him. A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, "Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you." "Who are my mother and my brothers?" he asked. Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother."Mark 3:31-35 Now we understand the sense of what Jesus meant. For at this point his mother and brothers were not doing the will of God in attempting to take him away from his ministry. And we see further evidence in John 7 that his brothers held him in contempt. This was kind of a rebuke, an insult to Mary who came to interfere with his mission. Who did Jesus say was his "mother" here? He looked away from Mary and look at those seated around him and viewed them as his mother instead. We can at least deduce from this that Jesus didn't make a big deal about his mother Mary. And certainly didn't make her into a goddess as the Catholic Church has done. And when it comes to incidents like this where she is not doing God's will she is less than no big deal. In view of her behavior here Christ wouldn't even acknowledge her as his mother until she repents.

Blessed Among Women

One justification Catholics may give for their idolatrous veneration of Mary is the fact that she was "blessed" in bearing the Messiah.

Luke 1:41 "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!"
Luke 1:48 "From now on all generations will call me blessed."But Jesus said that lots of people are blessed, yet Catholics don't likewise worship them.Luke 6:20 Blessed are you poor
Luke 6:21 Blessed are you who hunger now,
Luke 6:21 Blessed are you who weep now
Luke 6:22 Blessed are you when men hate you
1Peter 1:14 If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you.

But in contrast notice Jesus response to this idea of Mary's blessedness.While Jesus was saying these things, one of the women in the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, "Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed." But He said, "On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it." Luke 11:27,28 Thus in contrast to hearing and doing the Word of God, Jesus thought little of the blessedness of his mother bearing him - and so also his followers. For the New Testament authors speak very little of Mary.

Jn 2:11 This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.

Thru Her intercession the disciples came to faith!

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was Mary interceding?
How so?
All she did was tell her Son they were out of wine and then she told the servants to do whatever He said.
I don't see any intercession here.
Also remember there is only one intercessor between God and man, and it is not Mary. 1 Timothy 2:5

Upvote 0

Protestantismvsthebible

Jun 29, 2018
Dallas
✟5,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How so?
All she did was tell her Son they were out of wine and then she told the servants to do whatever He said.
Also remember there is only one intercessor between God and man, and it is not Mary. 1 Timothy 2:5

There is only one mediator! Many are intercessors Paul says I pray for you always!

Upvote 0

Protestantismvsthebible

Jun 29, 2018
Dallas
✟5,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You sidestepped the question, how did Mary intercede in John 2?

The couple were completely embarrassed in running out of wine, she interceded with Christ He performed the miracle, and His disciples came to faith thru Her intercession!

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The couple were completely embarrassed in running out of wine, she interceded with Christ He performed the miracle, and His disciples came to faith thru Her intercession!
I think you are reading into the passage something you want to see.
Because all Mary did was talk about the wine. Nowhere does it say that she prayed for them to have faith.
And as noted above in post 3, Mary and Jesus' brothers thought He was out of His mind.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How so?
You are correct. Nowhere in scripture do we see anyone asking Mary to intercede on their behalf. People who use the wedding in Cana as a mandate for Mariolatry do so via eisegesis.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many great women of the Old Testament can be understood as types of Mary, just as many great men of the Old Testament can be understood as types of Christ.
The OT isn't about Mary, it is about Christ.
The OT had shadows and types of Christ, not Mary.
Just because someone was a woman did not mean they could not be a type of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums