✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
nomnomnom.gif

This is a dish called Odori-Don. It has a dead squid (yes, it's fully dead) on top that “dances” when Soy Sauce is poured on it, activating its neurons.

Is it ethical to eat something that appears alive, even if it is not? Should one devour the god of Cthulhu cultists, which is clearly blasphemous?

And this isn't the worst of it. I understand that some Japanese even eat live squid, pouring lemon juice on it first. Comments on that?

Iä! Iä!

Mark

Last edited:

Archer93

Nov 20, 2007
✟17,101.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for that. I used to like squid.

Erm. In terms of ethics, it's about the same as running an electric current through frog's legs to make them twitch. Not actively unethical, I think, but I don't think I'd eat it. I find it personally disturbing (to be precise, it give me the screaming heebie-jeebies).

I see your squid with lemon juice, and raise you octopus-on-a-stick
Video -- Eating Live Octopus -- National Geographic
and apparently live snakes as well. I don't know if live monkey's brains is for real or a myth.*
Eating animals that actually are alive, rather than just appearing alive? I'm gong to say 'not ethical' for that, because it causes suffering for no reason other than vanity- 'Look how hardcore I am!'
I feel that if you're going to kill something, it should be done as quickly and cleanly and painlessly as possible.

*Monkey's brains, while popular in Cantonese cuisine, are not often to be found in Washington D.C. Or London.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
nomnomnom.gif

This is a dish called Odori-Don. It has a dead squid (yes, it's fully dead) on top that “dances” when Soy Sauce is poured on it, activating its neurons.

Is it ethical to eat something that appears alive, even if it is not? Should one devour the god of Cthulhu cultists, which is clearly blasphemous?
Is it blasphemous? Many Christians eat the body of Christ as part of their worship.

And this isn't the worst of it. I understand that some Japanese even eat live squid, pouring lemon juice on it first. Comments on that?
I'm not sure that it is ethical to eat squid, octopus or cuttlefish at all, but certainly it is immoral to eat live sentient beings.

Upvote 0

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
Is it blasphemous? Many Christians eat the body of Christ as part of their worship.

I'm not sure that it is ethical to eat squid, octopus or cuttlefish at all, but certainly it is immoral to eat live sentient beings.
emphasis mine

Why is it immoral to eat live sentient beings?

Is it any less immoral than killing the exact same being and eating it an hour later?

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a big fan of calamari no matter how it's served. Eating it raw is a non-starter for me. But this isn't any more unethical than eating sushi.

Speaking of which, here's a video of a skilled fugu chef preparing pufferfish. It's fascinating, but--warning to the squeamish--this fish is still alive as it's being carved up. A few Japanese do die every year from tetrodotoxin poisoning if the fugu is handled exactly right. So in a way, the fish does get it's revenge. :p

Cutting of Blowfish (Fugu) in Japan - YouTube

Morally, I do have a problem with shark's fin soup. It's bad enough that live sharks have their fins amputated, and are then thrown back
to die. But even worse is that the practice is depleting shark populations. California just banned importation of shark fins. Which is good.

Upvote 0

Archer93

Nov 20, 2007
✟17,101.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
emphasis mine

Is it any less immoral than killing the exact same being and eating it an hour later?

For me, it comes down to speed of death and the pain levels involved. Which probably means I should re-think some of my seafood eating habits... :-(

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because of the terror and pain involved.

No, it's more immoral - providing the slaughter was done humanely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JadeTigress

Aug 15, 2006
Herrin, IL
✟9,414.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have a problem with eating live things. If you want to make a dead thing dance around and look like it's alive, that's fine. Atleast it's still dead.

I know people and animals are different, and who knows how much pain the squid or octopus or whatever feels, but think about it: If someone was going to eat you, would you rather them just kill you first, or would you rather be alive to watch them bite on you and then you get to feel it the entire time until you die?

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not certain about the ethics of eating squid--it isn't clear quite what their cognitive abilities are, but evidence suggests they're pretty high.

Eating anything alive which can feel pain is wrong. Eating something that was killed humanely, but making it look alive is morally fine, to me, but is not to my taste.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

Thank you for addressing the key moral issue. Yes, it is blasphemous, because in Cthulhu cultism, Cthulhu eats you!

Iä! Iä!

Mark

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
But for say standard food, eating a live squid would be more moral than eating a McDonald's Hamburger, right?

Why would that be? Are you suggesting that cows are treated less humanely than a squid being eaten alive?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Texan40

seeking wisdom
Feb 8, 2010
Houston, TX
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would that be? Are you suggesting that cows are treated less humanely than a squid being eaten alive?

I know a few people who are so anti-McD's that they may think it more humane to their own digestive tracts to eat live squid. On a not so tongue-in-cheek note I don't think it is "moral" to kill anything but for nutrition and survival it can be necessary.

Upvote 0