✟824,604.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Corithians 9:7
Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

:)

I may determine to donate my body parts on death cheerfully. However at the moment of giving this will not matter that much to me.

I do not think it is wise to donate organs before death without pressing cause as it may jeopardise the other callings given by undermining health and viability.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,604.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
like any other medical proceedure the costs are astronomical and the success rate dismal initially, but as techniques improve the two both tend towards a justifiable balance. Some are better than others - kidneys say.

This remains my biggest reservation. That while it may be good stewardship on my part it will not be particularly good stewardship of scarce medical resources which could have saved more lives spent in other ways ( and especially in the third world). It's a technology to save rich people while poor people die en masse from preventable diseases and problems.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
mindlight said:
This remains my biggest reservation. That while it may be good stewardship on my part it will not be particularly good stewardship of scarce medical resources which could have saved more lives spent in other ways ( and especially in the third world). It's a technology to save rich people while poor people die en masse from preventable diseases and problems.
Sadly medical resources aren't transferred between countries in that way. Less lung transplants in the US is not going to result in better malaria treatment in the Congo - they aren't coming out of connected budgets.

In most western counties healthcare systems do make organ transplants within the scope of ordinary people, and transplants of things like kidneys are cost effective.

Leading edge medicine is never cost effective in that sense - but the leading edge medicine of today is the mainstream viable medicine of tomorrow.

Upvote 0

99percentatheism

Jul 8, 2011
✟1,693.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
1) Are their Christian reasons not to give organs on death?

No

2) Who decides and by what criteria that I am sufficiently dead for my organs to be given away?

Let Doctors have their professionalism. They seem to be paranoid about beiung sued for every tiny mistake.

3) How are the competing interests of medical teams to be reconciled in a situation where one team wants to save someone elses life with my organs and the other team is trying to save my life.

Before you're dead, give the rights to take your organs to the process.

4) Can I trust the authorities who regulate these processes?

When your broken to pieces and dying, hopefully you have already contemplated this and want to give another person that isn't dead a chance to stay not dead.

5) How effective is organ donation- do the results justify the expense?

You won't know. Nor will it matter when they harvest your organs. Give 'em up.

6) Would you receive someones elses organ in order to save your own life?

I'd bet I would.

Upvote 0