London, UK
✟835,227.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1) Are their Christian reasons not to give organs on death?

2) Who decides and by what criteria that I am sufficiently dead for my organs to be given away?

3) How are the competing interests of medical teams to be reconciled in a situation where one team wants to save someone elses life with my organs and the other team is trying to save my life.

4) Can I trust the authorities who regulate these processes?

5) How effective is organ donation- do the results justify the expense?

6) Would you receive someones elses organ in order to save your own life?

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

2) Who decides and by what criteria that I am sufficiently dead for my organs to be given away?

3) How are the competing interests of medical teams to be reconciled in a situation where one team wants to save someone elses life with my organs and the other team is trying to save my life.

This article may answer many of your questions. It is too long to post though.

What does the Bible say about organ donation?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
mindlight said:
not IMO

medical staff according to fixed guidelines

your life takes priority while it can be saved.

yes. They have a vested interest in maintaining trust because without it the system collapses quickly.

like any other medical proceedure the costs are astronomical and the success rate dismal initially, but as techniques improve the two both tend towards a justifiable balance. Some are better than others - kidneys say.

Of course.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

The problem is: people might take your organ before you die.

Upvote 0

MasterpieceMesias

King of Stoic Cynicism
Feb 20, 2011
Somewhere away from people
✟8,602.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
frankly I think it would be much more useful and loving to become an organ donor. If you die your body would be of good use to others instead of just simply decomposing in the ground. You'd be able to help with research in order to find cures for diseases or become useful in the case of an organ transplant or what not.
So basically, yes I think God would practically behoove you to become an organ donor

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armistead14

Mar 18, 2006
✟9,449.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Giving your organs is a great thing to do. There use to be some silly teaching that if we gave up organs or was creamated our resurrected bodies might be lacking...how utterly silly. The sea will give up it's dead, all of those bodies are long gone, eaten by fish, etc...If God can give body to fish poop that it itself is decayed and long gone, you need not worry about your organs.. I highly doubt people that loose limbs, etc., will be punished in heaven and have no limps...

Strict guidelines are in play, usually nothing from you is harvested until after death.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟835,227.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This article may answer many of your questions. It is too long to post though.

What does the Bible say about organ donation?

Thanks for the link which was helpful, however like Ebia I have questions about what this means for my resurrected body. I think the connection between the two is stronger than this article pretends. Like the holes in Jesus hands and side after his resurrection I may also have holes of love. Would I want those for eternity. Or would God reconstruct my body. Or is the nature of our resurrected bodies such that we are able to manifest our sacrificial wounds on will. Is there a difference bEtwEn someone who donates before or after deathv

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
mindlight said:
Thanks for the link which was helpful, however like Ebia I have questions about what this means for my resurrected body. I think the connection between the two is stronger than this article pretends. Like the holes in Jesus hands and side after his resurrection I may also have holes of love. Would I want those for eternity. Or would God reconstruct my body. Or is the nature of our resurrected bodies such that we are able to manifest our sacrificial wounds on will. Is there a difference bEtwEn someone who donates before or after deathv

I raised the point just because inaccurate summaries of the resurrection should be pointed out. I wouldn't worry from this point of view.

The actual parts of our body are gone after a few years in the grave anyway. At best there are bones and teeth left - the rest has been recycled.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟15,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is when it plays off spiritual against physical. Paul is no dualist and Jesus' resurrected body is the same physical body glorified.

Please explain 1 Cor. 15:42-44.

42 So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. 43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟835,227.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Giving your organs is a great thing to do. There use to be some silly teaching that if we gave up organs or was creamated our resurrected bodies might be lacking...how utterly silly. The sea will give up it's dead, all of those bodies are long gone, eaten by fish, etc...If God can give body to fish poop that it itself is decayed and long gone, you need not worry about your organs.. I highly doubt people that loose limbs, etc., will be punished in heaven and have no limps...

Strict guidelines are in play, usually nothing from you is harvested until after death.

I agree that the scriptures seems to indicate a completely healthy and restored state to our resurrected bodies and it would not be the nature of God to have walking wounded walking around the New Jerusalem for all eternity.

What God created and what he evisages for our perfection cannot be destroyed by dismemberment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟835,227.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My thought was this verse .. no greater love has a man that he lay down his life for another.

Except it is not even that sacrificial if I am already dead- just good stewardship with the gifts God gave.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟835,227.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please explain 1 Cor. 15:42-44.

42 So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. 43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

In Adam we die in Christ we can live forever. The natural body is subject to the law of death, dishonour and decay but that which is raised and originates in Gods will is not.

If there is a natural body there is a spiritual one indicates a continuity between the two. I will recognise myself in the mirror methinks but also celebrate a vast improvement for which I will glorify God.

Upvote 0