Is divorce a sin?

FOC

Feb 21, 2004
✟126.00
Faith
Christian
drfeelgood said:
You liar. You accuse me. Don't even go there. You've thrown scripture after scripture at me, out of context and everything, trying to trap me and failed. If you're such a terrible sinner, why have you been coming after me. Where is this so-called "compassion" now?

You live a lie. Now we know who the hypocrite is.

I don't pretend to be anything. I live what I preach. So that doesn't work either.

You're throwing stones from inside your glass house.

Sorry.........need to amend that then..........
I dont accuse those who are innocent.........only christians who listen to SATANIC PRIESTS and the pharisee types.

later dude :wave: :wave:

Upvote 0

ITS me!!!!

Feb 21, 2004
✟112.00
Faith
Christian
E-beth said:
*MOD HAT ON*

OK This thread is in danger of being closed. Keep the flames out, or warnings will fly.

Keep it on topic, don't get personal, and remember that we are all supposed to be putting on Christ here.

Thank you

I just wanna know HOW someone who Quotes and listens to a SATANIC singer .........and then defends it is suppose to be PUTTING ON CHRIST.......

CAN SOMEONE ANSWER ME THAT ......PLEASE??

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Anyways, ya, you got me. I listen to 2 songs from the minister of satan. :( There's several other ways I sin, but I've never professed to be perfect.

I still don't see, though, how it detracts from the validity of my posts? :confused: I still just reiterate the facts, without judging anyone. It's really not my place to do so.

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
E-beth said:
*MOD HAT ON*

OK This thread is in danger of being closed. Keep the flames out, or warnings will fly.

Keep it on topic, don't get personal, and remember that we are all supposed to be putting on Christ here.

Thank you
I'm guilty. I apologize. I hear what you are saying.

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You know what? I've calmed down since last night.

I've come to realize something. FOC lived up to my every expectation. He pushed and pushed and pushed, looking for an opening to flaunt to the masses, just as I said he would. How sad that it was me that provided him the opportunity.

I didn't count on that kind of response from a simple quote. My bad. I've decided to take it out so I don't have to face that type of abuse from any other "forgiving" or "compassionate" brothers or sisters. It's not worth it. It's easier to delete it rather than explain why it's there to all those of like mind.

It's been intriguing...

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tears said:
I was wondering if somebody could please tell me if divorce is a sin, if the marriage was done in exceptional circumstances (ie one of the partners was suffering an illness that affected their judgement)?

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I don't think a pat answer would be useful or accurate.

I don't want to go against God, but I truly believe now that what I was suffering at the time coerced me into marriage to the wrong person at the wrong time.

That could be.

Does God want me to stay in this marriage? Does God want me set free with a fresh start? How do I know what God wants? I've been married for 2 years now.

Thank you for any advice.

Well, we'd need to know a lot more about the marriage. Is your spouse abusive? Is he a good spouse? Does he love you? Do you love him? Is there a specific other person you're thinking you should have married, or is marriage just not turning out to be what you wanted? Do you have kids? Do you want kids? Have you tried counseling? Are you happy? Are you miserable?

The list of questions goes on and on and on. All of these, and many more, are relevant to your question.

Upvote 0

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
msjones21 said:
I think some people need to read the book Broken and Battered: A Way Out for the Abused Woman. It is a Christian book and it shows you that the Scriptures can be misinterpreted, especially by people who are always looking to nitpick and make abused women feel like they didn't do enough to make their marriage work. One of the women in the book, whose story is told from her perspective, was abused by her husband (who was also a pastor) and she divorced him and remarried later in life. The other woman was almost killed by her husband and her church turned a blind eye.
I would have recommended separation for those couples, but not divorce. Two wrongs, ten wrongs, one hundred wrongs do not ever make a right.

How nauseating it is that the church condemns the woman when she divorces an abusive husband! The church takes pity on the abuser while the woman is scorned for being the one who wasn't "good enough" to make her marriage work. And to whoever it was that said that it is better to be killed and go home to the Lord than to violate God's commands needs to get a bit deeper into the Scriptures. I would rather be safe than be a Pharisee.
Any time somebody condemns a cause, practice, or belief, he or she should offer a better one in its place. Such it is with separation--which the Bible speaks no ill will of--and divorce--which Christ made it quite clear is sinful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
drfeelgood said:
Anyways, ya, you got me. I listen to 2 songs from the minister of satan. :( There's several other ways I sin, but I've never professed to be perfect.

I still don't see, though, how it detracts from the validity of my posts? :confused: I still just reiterate the facts, without judging anyone. It's really not my place to do so.
LOL ^_^ ^_^

Upvote 0

HoosierCanuck

Senior Contributor
Feb 4, 2004
midwest US
✟24,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Here's my story...run with it if you will....

I was pressured/manipulated/coerced/convinced, (whatever!!) into marrying what I THOUGHT was a 'good, Christian man from a good, Christian family. After the "I do's" were said I found out it was all a front. He basically used me to get out from under what he thought was his too strict, too religious family! Satan blinded me to the truth and made everything look hunky dory when in fact it wasn't. It SEEMED like God was bringing us together...I went to his church, felt accepted, etc... We even were allowed to buy a house....after MUCH PRAYER AND CONSIDERATION!!! Well, his behaviour went further downhill after meeting neighbours who enjoyed heavy drinking, cussing, smoking, watching inappropriate content, etc.... We fought like cats and dogs. He dropped out of his church, I continued to go. I knew I had made a committment in the eyes of God and I had every intention of sticking to it, despite the fact that I had myself come from a broken home. We tried separation, got back together. Fought some more. He said 'we' needed counseling. He went once and then decided that the problem was ONLY ME. I (being stupid!) agreed that maybe it was and went to counseling myself. The counseling helped me deal with some of my OWN issues but it didn't do anything for the marriage since he wanted no part of it. His behaviour during that timeframe led me to suspect he was cheating. (something he would probably still deny today!) After that, he filed for divorce. This all took place over a 19-month period. My life was pure HELL during that time. I wouldn't go back for anything. Whether he actually cheated (committed adultry) or not remains a mystery. However, I let him go and file because I knew I was trying everything in my ability to not disobey God. I wish I hadn't had to go through all of that but in the end, I think I ended up a stronger person. He has since married and is apparently going through another divorce. After our divorce, I left the church for awhile and decided that God must not have loved me or he wouldn't have misled me into such a horrible situation. It took me 8 years to see the truth in what really happened there. I was lucky in that I had support during that time. It is my hope and prayer that fellow Christians would offer comfort, prayer and support to someone going through such a difficult thing rather than judge. It speaks volumes of us as Christians to love one another and not judge. The 'holier-than-thou' judgemental attitude is what adds fuel to the fire of those who reject Jesus.

That's my two-cents.

Peace

HC

Upvote 0

HoosierCanuck

Senior Contributor
Feb 4, 2004
midwest US
✟24,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Okay...two more cents...

Also, because of the Scriptures, I choose to remain single and I think it would take something about as obvious and outrageous as God Himself speaking down from Heaven telling me to marry again before I would make that mistake.

Upvote 0
Tears said:
I'm a new Christian.

I was wondering if somebody could please tell me if divorce is a sin, if the marriage was done in exceptional circumstances (ie one of the partners was suffering an illness that affected their judgement)?

I don't want to go against God, but I truly believe now that what I was suffering at the time coerced me into marriage to the wrong person at the wrong time.

Does God want me to stay in this marriage? Does God want me set free with a fresh start? How do I know what God wants? I've been married for 2 years now.

Thank you for any advice.

Here is a website that should help you answer your questions about Marriage and Divorce etc...Its helped me quite a bit. -- restorem.org

-Steven
ITChristians.com

Upvote 0

jobob

Feb 21, 2004
✟668.00
Faith
Christian
drfeelgood said:
You know what? I've calmed down since last night.

I've come to realize something. FOC lived up to my every expectation. He pushed and pushed and pushed, looking for an opening to flaunt to the masses, just as I said he would. How sad that it was me that provided him the opportunity.

I didn't count on that kind of response from a simple quote. My bad. I've decided to take it out so I don't have to face that type of abuse from any other "forgiving" or "compassionate" brothers or sisters. It's not worth it. It's easier to delete it rather than explain why it's there to all those of like mind.

It's been intriguing...

Somewhere, in one of your posts, you answer to someone that you didnt know if they could go to heaven.
It can be assumed that this comment was made because this person was saying they had divorced and remarried for reasons other than adultery.........thereby NOT following the PRECISE letter of scripture in the matter.

It was only being shown that NONE of us follow the precise letter of scripture and to condemn any one of us for falling short in one area or another is to condemn us as a whole.

NONE of us follow that book to the letter.
We try our best and ask that the Father forgive our shortcomings and bad decisions.

It is brought to your attention that while you say this person may not make it to heaven for their past decisions, that you currently are not following the precise letter either.

Abstain from every appearance of evil.
(1Th 5:22)

Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Keep from every form of evil.

I point this out to ask whether you would see that you fall short in this area and as long as you listen to a minister of Satan that you are not following the letter of that passage........amoung a few others that can surely be thrown in there.......thereby in essence applying your own call that you cant be sure youre going to heaven in your current state of listening to Marylin Manson.

It has been my experience that folks apply all scripture to every life except their own......there are always areas where they fall short.......we all do.
I have seen far too many, especially folks who are the type to say that folks who believe only what they do will make it, who make the call of who is going and who is not.

thats very dangerous ground to be on........
One step either way and a person can find themselves standing in a judgemental position they have no authority to be in.
One step either way and they will overlook their own plank and try their best to remove anothers splinter.

I can easily give a list of name of folks who visit here regularly who are precisely this way.......they are ready to proclaim that all who fall short may not make it......those outside their church and precise understanding are bound to hell.............all the while some of them are the biggest racists Ive ever met...........they hate their own human brothers and yet proclaim the name of Christ.
They have found my splinter for sure.........yet xray vision has permitted them to see thru their own plank.

As for compassionate........we give that equally to all......including the young girl who made mistakes and is now repentant.
She is not obligated to your insertion of your own ideas into scripture.
No where is it said that if the woman doesnt go back to a woman beater and does marry another that she is condemned to hell.
Its a mistake like any other.
Forgivable like any other.

Your Satanic Priest musician is an other story.

Earlier you comment that we should actaully hear his message.

Is that good advice?
Should children of God actually LISTEN to a man of Satan.....who has ridiculed us and blasphemed our God (heard him with my own ears) ?

You recieved a bad response because you make girls feel like their sins are unpardonable while yours of not ''abstaining from every appearance of evil'' is completely excusable seemingly.......

Thoughts of ''out of context'' on the given passage are preposterous.

It is written for a purpose no doubt, but is a general statement to be followed by EVERY true child of our God and King.

Most passages in the bible were written to a specific group for a specific reason.........but to say they do not apply to us today as written in ridiculous.
I could show that passage to any 6th grader i know and he would be able to tell me exactly what it means........and he would be right.
Scripture is NOT shrouded in mystery and unless there is some reason to not take it AS written......say the case of a parable, for instance......then it needs to be applied AS WRITTEN.

Anyone who would try to say that ''abstain (stay away from) all appearances (forms of, etc) of evil (wrongdoing, disobedience, etc)'' does not apply to ones listening to a minister of Satan has shown me that while they indeed know the letter of the law, the spirit and meaning contained within has completely passed over their head.

These women divorced of absolute necessity (as David ate forbidden bread of necessity and was defended by Jesus) and remarried out of love.

Compared to just blatantly ignoring the previous passage and listening to a Satanist and promoting his ''message'' openly.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KTL

Paydirt
Mar 7, 2004
Illinois
✟127.00
Faith
Christian
Hey Tears,
Jesus taught against putting away ones wife as being a sin.
Even if the whole world and the "church" believes that divorce is a sin, the Bible still teaches that all manner of sin is forgivable except blashphemy against the HOly Spirit.
There is no way God wants one of His children to stay in an abusive or unprofitable relationship.
This is just a brief reply, much more could be said on the subject but this is cutting to the point.
Good Luck
IN His Name
Kurt

Reactions: hola
Upvote 0

Jinnapiban

The time has come...
Mar 18, 2004
Houston, Texas
✟1,165.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Tears... I didn't read through everything - it was mental overload. Just your original question and a couple of others. I liked what KTL said & I just wanted to add that I was separated 3 times before I ultimately went through divorce. I know that God's Word is very specific about divorce and that He hates it. The interesting thing for me was that God revealed Himself through the Holy Spirit to let me know that He loves me more than He loved my marriage. I am not saying divorce is right for you and your spouse, but I wholeheartedly believe that if you pray to God about your circumstance, He will reveal Himself to you. (By the way, it took 5 years for my answer)

The best news I can bring you.... God knows everything about us and He still loves us so much that He came to earth as man and died for our sins, so that we can be blameless in His sight. WOW! That's Love!

You're in my prayers.
jp :prayer:

Upvote 0

Lucubratus

Mar 16, 2004
✟683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
HoosierCanuck said:
Okay...two more cents...

Also, because of the Scriptures, I choose to remain single and I think it would take something about as obvious and outrageous as God Himself speaking down from Heaven telling me to marry again before I would make that mistake.
:D After making an error with marriage I have concluded the same thing. But I always said God would kind of have to hit me o'er the head or something with lightning or an invisible choir singing because I just don't see myself getting married ever again and it won't kill me to be an old lady with a bunch of cats, though the cats might.

Upvote 0

jeshohaia

Apr 10, 2004
Central Coast, Cali
Visit site
✟541.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Others
Well, throughout the lives of the Patriarchs only one wife was given the choice in marriage...Rebekah...Isaac's wife. All the others they were given to their husbands. Sarah, Leah and Rachel. (Although Rachel and Jacob did love each other it still wasnt her decision.)

Now, the new testament (I love 1st Peter). Look in 1st Peter when he talks about submission. He brings up the case of Sarah. How women are to be submissive as Sarah was to Abraham (Sarai means contentious; or princess they had names for a reason). You can see throughout their lives how she had moments of out spokenness (look at how Isaac got his name which means Laughter). But she still submited herself to her husband in the good times and doing right. And in the bad times when they lied about their relationship.

So, you need to stay with him. Out of your kindness he will have an example to change his ways. Be submissive to him. That is the only thing you can do.

The only, only way you can have cause to divorce him is if he cheated on you. Check all 2 of the gospels for this reference (all four include the same talk on divorce but two give an exception).

Dont do anything against G-D's will. He has a way of using guilt to get us to do what we know is right.

Upvote 0