Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wrong again.
I beg your pardon?
Plymouth Rock is the traditional site of disembarkation of William Bradford and the Mayflower Pilgrims who founded Plymouth Colony in 1620.
My patience is now starting to run a little thin.

It's too bad someone has to go through an Inquisition and back, just because he believes this country is a Christian nation; but I'll be hanged before I move to the back of your bus and let you scientific methodists drive over us.

If you don't think this country is a Christian nation, fine.

Please tell me what country is then -- if you can.

I have a feeling though that the truth of the matter is you can't, because you don't believe that there is such a thing as a "Christian nation," but don't have the ... well ... guts to come right out and say it.

Instead, you guys play the Inquisition card with those who do.

I take it you guys don't believe Israel is the Promised Land either; and I'm proud to be accounted to stand next to her (Israel) and be blacklisted by scientists.

Upvote 0

EternalDragon

Counselor
Jul 31, 2013
✟21,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Evidently. He could have worked differently, he could have avoided the slaughter of thousands of children, but he choose not to. Why?

God could simply poof them straight to Israel, and the Egyptians would be none the wiser. God is omniscient and omnipotent, so must necessarily know of all possible options, including ones we humans haven't considered.

But if God is limited and can't make overt displays of power, he could just as easily cause a series of innocuous 'accidents' that ultimately lead to the Hebrews' escape. Or, indeed, prevent their enslavement in the first place.

But instead, God prefers enslavement and genocide, fear and suffering. He had limitless options, but chose the one that results in the killing of children.

Have you even read the Bible? Joseph was a king in Egypt and there was famine in the land so he let his family and the rest live there. In peace and not enslavement. They grew in number after Joseph died. (At 110 years old) Then the new Pharaoh put the Israelites into enslavement and made them work for him but that only made them increase in number. (If you keep reading, all the evil that befell Egypt is a direct result of the Pharaoh's evil actions, not God's actions.)

God chose the most wise pathway. Just because you can't see that does not mean God did not choose the best option. God's choice of limitations in direct involvement is also from his wisdom, not ours.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟831,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I have a feeling though that the truth of the matter is you can't, because you don't believe that there is such a thing as a "Christian nation," but don't have the ... well ... guts to come right out and say it.

A Christian nation would be one with an official (as in government selected and approved) religion that is some form of Christianity. The US does not have an official religion, and indeed its constitution forbids such a thing. An example of a Christian nation would be Costa Rica, which is explicitly Catholic. A list of other examples of current state religions is here.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,912,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God could simply poof them straight to Israel, and the Egyptians would be none the wiser.
He's the Father, and He can teach His children what He wants.

Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Imagine the Jews in the Promised Land today, never having had to lift a finger to fight.

In this dispensation, she would be flying a different flag.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,912,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A Christian nation would be one with an official (as in government selected and approved) religion that is some form of Christianity. The US does not have an official religion, and indeed its constitution forbids such a thing. An example of a Christian nation would be Costa Rica, which is explicitly Catholic. A list of other examples of current state religions is here.
Let me repeat myself, so you scientific methods are perfectly clear where I stand:

It is not what we say or do that makes this country a Christian nation.

It is God that makes this country a Christian nation.

I don't care if the whole country was made up of scientists, God could still make it a "Christian country" by placing His name on it.

Upvote 0

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I beg your pardon?

My patience is now starting to run a little thin.

So is your reading comprehension. I confirmed that the Pilgrims settled Plymouth. It was the claim that the Puritans settled Jamestown that I said was wrong.

And nothing in this particular post had anything to do with the question of whether we are a Christian nation. It had to do with you confusing John Smith, founder of Jamestown in Virginia with John Winthrop, founder of Boston in Massachusetts Bay. Smith was a Cavlier, and a member of the CoE. Winthrop was a Roundhead, and a Puritan.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,912,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So is your reading comprehension. I confirmed that the Pilgrims settled Plymouth. It was the claim that the Puritans settled Jamestown that I said was wrong.

And nothing in this particular post had anything to do with the question of whether we are a Christian nation. It had to do with you confusing John Smith, founder of Jamestown in Virginia with John Winthrop, founder of Boston in Massachusetts Bay. Smith was a Cavlier, and a member of the CoE. Winthrop was a Roundhead, and a Puritan.
Swell.

Upvote 0

StormanNorman

Mar 5, 2013
✟15,795.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Just fyi, I've requested this thread be closed.

It's beginning to smell like brimstone.

You're a child. You say something that is historically inaccurate, people call you on it, and then you claim that you're facing an inquisition. Maybe you should just stick to your church and congregation and stay away from places of real discourse.... that way you won't keep getting your feelings hurt.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟831,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It is God that makes this country a Christian nation.

Well, if he didn't pay any attention to the New World in the Old Testament or New Testament, I don't see why he'd bother now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
He's the Father, and He can teach His children what He wants.

Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Imagine the Jews in the Promised Land today, never having had to lift a finger to fight.
Yes, imagine: a country where no husband, wife, mother father, son, daughter, is killed defending their country. Everyone can enjoy life, instead of fearing attack. What a fantastic place that would be - I'd convert in a heartbeat to join that promised land.

But God doesn't work that way. God chooses genocide over love. He's free to do that, but then I am forced to call him wicked. And why would anyone want to follow a deity that prefers genocide to bloodless peace?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,730,574.00
Country
United States