Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Having a spiritual advisor like your local priest who is wise and charitable can be a huge advantage in your life. Don't shy away from confession it's no big deal, just be transparent with your struggles and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
But can't I just say sorry to the Lord on my own in private without going to another person?

not if you're Catholic.

The point is that it's not just going to another person, but to a priest who is guided by God
to both hear your confession and also to aid you in finding a reson why the sin happened in the first place.

the priest can counsel you about how and why you should avoid that sin,
and he has the authority given to him from God to forgive the sin through Jesus.

and being a man like us and also being subject to sin himself, he can understand
what being in a state of sin and needing forgiveness feels like first hand.

And because he knows both sin, forgiveness, and grace, he can pray for and with you in compassion , mercy,
and especially for a healing of the breach that stands like a wide gulf between you and God because of that sin.

and in all of this he is guided by the great love of Jesus, who is right there with both you and the priest.

and that's why Catholics should be encouraged to go to confession -and to go often- while the breach is still fresh,
and the wound is easily healed and forgiven.

that way the loving relationship between God and man can be made whole once again.

Upvote 0

Returner

Bible Reader and Believer.
Sep 28, 2014
USA
✟8,014.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I would rather pray to God and then if I wronged a person , go to that person and say sorry then do what was possible to help the situation, so that everything will be good again.

I was raised Catholic...although I moved on and became a Christian that reads the Bible daily.

May God bless you.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
But can't I just say sorry to the Lord on my own in private without going to another person?
You can say sorry to the lord in private but it's not what Jesus instructed His apostles to do and teach us. He said to go and forgive sins, if you forgive them they are forgiven, if you hold them bound, they are held bound. The priest acts in the person of Jesus so when you confess your sins to him, make an act of contrition, you are doing so to Christ in private. The priest is there to grant you absolution through the ministry of the Church, which is the ministry of the Christ.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,303,352.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Winter Rose

Think of confession this way .

As a child you mother or father told you when you had been naughty in some way that you had to say sorry . Once you did that they would tell you that it was OK and they had forgiven you.

When you confess to the priest , you are confessing your wrongdoing to Christ Himself . The priest listens carefully to you so he can see if you really are sorry for the hurt you have caused Christ. Each time we sin we hurt Christ . If the priest is sure you are contrite [ sorry ] he will give you some advice and also give you something to do to help you overcome this wrongdoing habit [ yes we all have them - even priests ] and then he will tell you that your sin is forgiven but the great thing is that not only is it forgiven - it's also forgotten - the slate is wiped clean and you start afresh !

Christ gave this ability to forgive sins to His Apostles so they could act on His behalf .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Leprosy can be seen as a metaphor for sin. So when Jesus cured the leper in Luke 5:12-15, we can see in it the Sacrament of Penance. During this sacrament, the priest is in persona Christi (in the Person of Christ) which means that the penitent is actually confessing to God through the priest. The sacraments are God's ordinary way that He has chosen to dispense His graces to us. However, as Rhamiel explained, God is not limited to the sacraments, so it's possible that God can make an exception if He chooses. Here are some supporting Scripture verses:

Matthew 9:2-8 (particularly 9:8)
Matthew 18:18
John 20:22-23
Acts 19:18
James 5:16

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Leprosy can be seen as a metaphor for sin. So when Jesus cured the leper in Luke 5:12-15, we can see in it the Sacrament of Penance. During this sacrament, the priest is in persona Christi (in the Person of Christ) which means that the penitent is actually confessing to God through the priest. The sacraments are God's ordinary way that He has chosen to dispense His graces to us. However, as Rhamiel explained, God is not limited to the sacraments, so it's possible that God can make an exception if He chooses.

Here are some supporting Scripture verses:

Matthew 9:2-8 (particularly 9:8)
Matthew 18:18
John 20:22-23
Acts 19:18
James 5:16

agreed ^

Upvote 0