Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
If God prerdetermined redemption then He also predetermined satan's defeat. Or is time only linear in God's plan?
What is CVT? If it refers to Cornelius VanTil, I am not a presuppositionalist. God was angry yet at the same time He provided the promise of redemption in Gen 3:15

If God prerdetermined redemption then He also predetermined satan's defeat

You mean to say God didn't predetermine to place His wrath upon Jesus on our behalf?

God was angry yet at the same time He provided the promise of redemption in Gen 3:15

Do you mean to say God's anger was placed upon Jesus on our behalf when His heel was bruised denoting His death on the cross?

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You mean to say God didn't predetermine to place His wrath upon Jesus on our behalf?
no, that's not what I mean to say. If you insist on slyly twisting my words in order to entrap me, I'll cease this nonsensical exchange.

Do you mean to say God's anger was placed upon Jesus on our behalf when His heel was bruised denoting His death on the cross?
I am saying God did not exactly throw a party when Adam and Eve sinned YET He simultaneously promised a Conqueror who would defeat satan.

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Let God alone answer through us
Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Different ideas of the atonement imply different diagnoses. Penal substitution implies a moral problem. We are sinners and God can't accept us as such. Some versions of Christus Victor imply that we are captives of sin and need to be rescued.

It is surely possible to maintain both.

Paul seems to see death as the primary result of the fall. That includes physical death, but seems to go further than that. In Rom 6 he see us as participated in Christ's death and resurrection, and therefore being rescued from sin and death. I guess that's at least related to Christus Victor.

Jesus saw his death as a covenant sacrifice to establish the new covenant of Jer 31:31, per Ex 24:8. Heb 9 and 10 use this explanation, with some additions. This seems closest to moral example, in that the purpose is to transform people. But I think it's more than example. Jewish understanding of the suffering of an innocent person (Is 53, though it developed further during the intertestamental period) seems to assume that the person is acting on behalf of the people. I think this is implicit in Ex 24:8. If you want to define a problem that this is solving, I guess I'd say that knowing what God wants isn't enough without a heart that is capable of doing it.

Does christian victor theory CVT solve the problem of God's wrath upon humans?

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
no, that's not what I mean to say. If you insist on slyly twisting my words in order to entrap me, I'll cease this nonsensical exchange.

I am saying God did not exactly throw a party when Adam and Eve sinned YET He simultaneously promised a Conqueror who would defeat satan.

How does CVT christus victor theory solve the problem of God's wrath upon humans?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How does CVT christus victor theory solve the problem of God's wrath upon humans?
Like I said, I don't read Cornelius VanTil (if that who you are referring to) nor am I an apologist of his.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If Adam hadn't started to have the forbidden knowledge of good & evil, will there be death in this world? If there be no death, could Jesus have died on the cross?
If Adam hadn't sinned, there'd be no reason for Jesus' act of self-sacrifice. That's the most we can know and say.
Did Jesus die because of these behaviors? Why didn't Jesus forgive these behaviors instead of dying on the cross?
He demonstrated love in the face of the evil He experienced, so that we would know His heart on the matter, so we would know His forgiveness directly. Forgiveness requires our willing acceptance of it in order for it to effect it's purpose; otherwise God may as well have just placed the elect in heaven to begin with without reference to our response, without reference to our sin. As it is, the cross gives us something to respond to.
Is God happy when humans do good? If yes, isn't He angry when humans do evil?
God knows the beginning from the end, and continued to love his wayward creation despite their sin. But, yes, He hates evil and will still allow us to choose hell to the extent that we choose sin over Him. He won't endure evil forever.

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Having been rescued from sin, God no longer sees us as sinners, so the wrath doesn't apply. See Rom 6:6-11.

See Christus Victor: The Salvation of God and the Cross of Christ - Fuller Studio for how that passage fits into Christus Victor.

Why did not Jesus who forgave sins by His spoken word of authority defeat sin by that same word of authority? Why did He have to die?

Wrath came after they had the forbidden knowledge of good and evil (kge). So how does cvt solve wrath without addressing kge which brought wrath & death?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Why did not Jesus who forgave sins by His spoken word of authority defeat sin by that same word of authority? Why did He have to die?

Wrath came after they had the forbidden knowledge of good and evil (kge). So how does cvt solve earth without addressing kge which brought death?
There's no way to avoid that question, no matter what your theology of the atonement. After all, God could have created Adam and Eve with sufficient moral fiber that they didn't fall. He could equally well have simply removed sin by fiat, returning us to innocence and thus removing any cause for wrath. That seems to be what you've suggested. That's really a question you need to pose to God, not me.

All I can say is that having allowed humanity the freedom to fall, surely it would be odd for him to wave a magic wand and remove the results. According to Rom 6, he decided to get us out of the clutches of death by having his son die and come out of death, and uniting us with him so that we can have that victory ourselves.

I don't think there's any way to prove that this is the only way God could have done it.

• Useful
Reactions: TheGoodLight
Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Like I said, I don't read Cornelius VanTil (if that who you are referring to) nor am I an apologist of his.
CVT is christus victor theory. So how does it solve the problem of God's wrath on humans.

Are you ignorant of that theory?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
If Adam hadn't sinned, there'd be no reason for Jesus' act of self-sacrifice. That's the most we can know and say.

He demonstrated love in the face of the evil He experienced, so that we would know His heart on the matter, so we would know His forgiveness directly. Forgiveness requires our willing acceptance of it in order for it to effect it's purpose; otherwise God may as well have just placed the elect in heaven to begin with without reference to our response, without reference to our sin. As it is, the cross gives us something to respond to.

God knows the beginning from the end, and continued to love his wayward creation despite their sin. But, yes, He hates evil and will still allow us to choose hell to the extent that we choose sin over Him. He won't endure evil forever.

If Adam hadn't sinned, there'd be no reason for Jesus' act of self-sacrifice.

If no Jesus's act of self-sacrifice how could humans understand God's love?

He demonstrated love in the face of the evil He experienced

Can't He demonstrate love by forgiving the bad behaviors & for you to believe His love? Why the need to die to demonstrate His love?

But, yes, He hates evil

If God was angry with humans, what does christus victor (cv) about how God's anger was solved?

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CVT is christus victor theory. So how does it solve the problem of God's wrath on humans.

Are you ignorant of that theory?
No, I am not ignorant of that theory. You seem to ignore what I write though, otherwise you would have acknowledged my knowledge of Gustav Aulen and his classic work on Christus Victor.
CVT does not solve the problem of God's wrath, nor does any other of man's theories...only Jesus solves that problem.

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
There's no way to avoid that question, no matter what your theology of the atonement. After all, God could have created Adam and Eve with sufficient moral fiber that they didn't fall. He could equally well have simply removed sin by fiat, returning us to innocence and thus removing any cause for wrath. That seems to be what you've suggested. That's really a question you need to pose to God, not me.

All I can say is that having allowed humanity the freedom to fall, surely it would be odd for him to wave a magic wand and remove the results. According to Rom 6, he decided to get us out of the clutches of death by having his son die and come out of death, and uniting us with him so that we can have that victory ourselves.

I don't think there's any way to prove that this is the only way God could have done it.

That's really a question you need to pose to God, not me.

The question was posed to you because you defend the christus victor theory irrationally which doesn't give the reason why Jesus needs to die in order to defeat sin when He could and did forgive sins even before He died on the cross!! Why are you evading this?

According to Rom 6, he decided to get us out of the clutches of death by having his son die

Death didn't come all of a sudden. Instead death followed God's wrath. Wrath followed the knowledge of good and evil (kge).

But christus victor ridiculously & abruptly jumps to address death without addressing kge & God's wrath. Why? Isn't it absurd?

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
No, I am not ignorant of that theory. You seem to ignore what I write though, otherwise you would have acknowledged my knowledge of Gustav Aulen and his classic work on Christus Victor.
CVT does not solve the problem of God's wrath, nor does any other of man's theories...only Jesus solves that problem.

only Jesus solves that problem.

How does Jesus solve the problem?

Death didn't come all of a sudden. Instead death followed God's wrath. Wrath followed the knowledge of good and evil (kge). But christus victor ridiculously & abruptly jumps to address death without addressing kge & God's wrath. Why? Isn't it absurd?

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Death didn't come all of a sudden. Instead death followed God's wrath. Wrath followed the knowledge of good and evil (kge). But christus victor ridiculously & abruptly jumps to address death without addressing kge & God's wrath. Why? Isn't it absurd?
Like I said I don't pit one against the other but hold them in tandem, both are necessary. End of story.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If no Jesus's act of self-sacrifice how could humans understand God's love?
It's not a bad point, and historically theologians have speculated on this and related questions. And while we cannot-or should not- say that Adam had to sin, as if he lacked anything that might've precluded his disobedience, or that God wanted him to, we can know that God, obviously, deemed it worthwhile to create knowing that sin and evil would result from man's abuse of his free will, and that He could nonetheless bring an even greater good out of it. And one aspect of that greater good might be that man knows good and evil, by directly, viscerally, experiencing both in this brave new world that he was exiled into, where his own will reigns, so that he might gain the wisdom with the help of revelation and grace to choose the Good alone, ultimately acknowledging God's existence, goodness, trustworthiness, and love-rather than doubting all that-so that he might finally love Him in return, a love which produces obedience by its nature, the right way. Man needs to learn to doubt himself in order to learn of his need for God-and so begin to trust Him.
Can't He demonstrate love by forgiving the bad behaviors & for you to believe His love? Why the need to die to demonstrate His love?
That's how it works, in worldly affairs as well. Talk is cheap. Action makes a lasting impact. God willingly suffered that abuse, for us, for those who sinned, for those who 'hated Him without reason'. The cross is a direct appeal to our sense of justice when we see that light was attempted to be snuffed out by darkness, as it can directly convict us of sin including the primary sin of wanting God dismissed from our lives, Adam's original sin.
If God was angry with humans, what does christus victor (cv) about how God's anger was solved?
It shows that God's love and mercy are greater than His anger-that His forgiveness is inexhaustible whether we accept and benefit by it or not. Again, that was God on the cross. Any appeasement was done for and by Himself-for our sake.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Like I said I don't pit one against the other but hold them in tandem, both are necessary. End of story.

As you don't have the answer you are evading the following questions, right?

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
It's not a bad point, and historically theologians have speculated on this and related questions. And while we cannot-or should not- say that Adam had to sin, as if he lacked anything that might've precluded his disobedience, or that God wanted him to, we can know that God, obviously, deemed it worthwhile to create knowing that sin and evil would result from man's abuse of his free will, and that He could nonetheless bring an even greater good out of it. And one aspect of that greater good might be that man knows good and evil, by directly, viscerally, experiencing both in this brave new world that he was exiled into, where his own will reigns, so that he might gain the wisdom with the help of revelation and grace to choose the Good alone, ultimately acknowledging God's existence, goodness, trustworthiness, and love-rather than doubting all that-so that he might finally love Him in return, a love which produces obedience by its nature, the right way. Man needs to learn to doubt himself in order to learn of his need for God-and so begin to trust Him.

That's how it works, in worldly affairs as well. Talk is cheap. Action makes a lasting impact. God willingly suffered that abuse, for us, for those who sinned, for those who 'hated Him without reason'. The cross is a direct appeal to our sense of justice when we see that light was attempted to be snuffed out by darkness, as it can directly convict us of sin including the primary sin of wanting God dismissed from our lives, Adam's original sin.

It shows that God's love and mercy are greater than His anger-that His forgiveness is inexhaustible whether we accept and benefit by it or not. Again, that was God on the cross. Any appeasement was done for and by Himself-for our sake.

Man needs to learn to doubt himself in order to learn of his need for God-and so begin to trust Him.

Is shunning evil & doing good in order to please God & earn His favor the same as trusting in Christ's perfect good works which pleased God, in order to gain God's favor?

Talk is cheap. Action makes a lasting impact. God willingly suffered that abuse, for us, for those who sinned

But Jesus demonstrated His love by forgiving sins (bad behaviors) even before He died on the cross. So how do you say death is necessary to forgive sins & demonstrate His love?

So you agree Jesus took God's wrath due unto us, upon Himself on the cross? But christus victor theory denies this truth!! How do you see that?

Upvote 0

Chris35

May 27, 2018
Melbourne
✟56,054.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If God was cruel to make Jesus die for our sins, wasn't God cruel to make Jesus die to defeat sin & satan?

17The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

Jesus wasnt forced to die on the cross, he lay his life down for us on he's own accord.

Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
17The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

Jesus wasnt forced to die on the cross, he lay his life down for us on he's own accord.

So you agree Jesus wasnt forced to die on the cross, he lay his life down for us on his own accord in order to take God's wrath & sins upon Himself?

Perhaps you believe in the truth of penal substitution?

Upvote 0