Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello, i just want to get yalls opinion on Christmas and if its a sin or not? what do you think?
Depends on people's attitudes. If it is a time to celebrate the birth of the Lord Jesus, fine. If it's a worldly food and drink fest, not so much. One American tradition I detest is "Happy Holidays". It's meaningless. It would be better to say nothing than that.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello, i just want to get yalls opinion on Christmas and if its a sin or not? what do you think?

I'm really surprised at these kind of questions. Years ago it was only Communist atheist's, Muslims, and Jehovah's Witnesses that were after Christmas.....

There is a fine line behind whether or not that people are too indulgent and materialistic using Christmas as an excuse, and whether the holiday is somehow innately sinful... A Christian Holiday that celebrates the incarnation of the Son of God obviously should not be considered sinful but positive if you are a Christian with any sense of history or theological balance.

(FYI- Much of the problems of materialism and indulgence in the Christmas season can actually be fixed if people observe the fasting season that precedes Christmas in Catholicism and Orthodoxy).

And don't even get me started on the "Christmas is pagan" topic... :)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry your question was is it a sin?

The answer is I don't think so per se if your focus is solely upon Jesus but it is extremely difficult to separate that from all the other stuff that goes on.
Virtually impossible.
I would say follow your conviction, I did and have never felt more at peace with my decision. It was with much prayer and seeking.
I'm no better than anyone else and will not condemn others if they choose differently.

It sounds like you are unsure, so I would say seek the Lord for your answers, read the Bible regarding the activities that are done and pray. Above all trust God and the Holy Spirits leading.
May the Lord bless you and guide you in your search.:prayer:

PS If you decide not to take part, be aware of the sometimes "obsessive" disbelief that you really mean it. ;)

There is also a thread here titled "why I believe Christmas isn't biblical" and no I didn't start it, but you might like to hear some opinions and reasons.

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟166,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Heb 11:6 without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

The opposite of faith is unbelief/doubt
Rom 14:
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
(NOTE: We all have a right to choose. When? When we choose for the right reason. Next verse explains how to discern, the right or wrong way to observe any given day)

6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
(NOTE: If we choose to observe any day unto the Lord, unselfishly as an act of worship, and according to the dictates of a Godly conscience. We are free to celebrate or not celebrate)

12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
(NOTE: One day, we will all stand before God and explain our actions/choices. 2 Cor 5:10 & Rev 20:11-12)

13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
(NOTE: We are not to judge/condemn one another for a personal choice of any unselfish worship & praise towards God).

14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
(NOTE: This scripture say's, if you're uncomfortable with a Christmas/New Year/Whatever celebration, DON'T DO IT! If you go against your own conscience, you sin.)

22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

23 (C) for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Rom 14 teaches we shouldn't judge other's on what days they celebrate or what days they considered more sacred than others. We are taught that as long as we do it unto the Lord. We may eat what we want & consider whatever days we wish as more special than another.

Those that choose to celebrate Christmas unto the Lord. Are honoring the Son: Jn 5:23 teaches when we honor the Son, we honor the Father

Titus 1:
15 To the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled & unbelieving is nothing pure; even their mind & conscience is defiled

16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable & disobedient & unto every good work reprobate

If someone believes Christmas shouldn't celebrated, don't do it! But, getting between them whom are worshipfully thankful to God, for the wonderful gift of salvation offered to us in the person of Jesus the Christ, makes zero sense two me. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

• Winner
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus' birth was prophesied hundreds of years in advance such as "Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." Isa 7:14

Here's some Biblical references to celebrate Christmas

Includes "Away in a Manger," "Angels We have Heard on High", "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing", "It came upon a Midnight Clear," "Joy to the World", "Do You Hear What I Hear?"

Yeshua, Jesus, Angels - still their heavenly music floats proclaiming His birth which the prophets seen of old and that time had come as foretold. His birth was proclaimed to shepherds in the field by night. The lyrics tell the story including The Star and wise men bearing gold and other gifts. He came to save us from Satan's power. God and sinners reconciled. Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care.. This newborn King brings tidings of comfort and joy; comfort and joy. Good will to men. There's wonders of His love and glories of His righteousness. Let earth receive her King. Joyful all ye nations rise. He rules the world with truth and grace. Come worship our Emmanuel! Come adore Him on bended knee. We worship heaven's all gracious King ever and ever!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
From the Eastern Orthodox service of Great Hours

Today, He who holds the whole world in His hand is born from a Virgin.

He who is impalpable in essence is wrapped in swaddling clothes as a mortal.

God, who in the beginning established the heavens of old, is lying in a manger as a newborn babe.

He who rained down manna for the people in the wilderness is nursed by His mother.

He who is the Bridegroom of the Church is summoning the Magi.

And He is accepting their gifts, now as the Son of the Virgin.

We adore Your Nativity, O Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christmas is a religious holiday. It depends on how "religion" sits with you.
(And that conviction is a function of the Holy Spirit.)

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Depends on how you celebrate it. Years ago the Lord convicted me that I was celebrating a pagan holiday when I was celebrating with santa decorations and the wrong purpose of Christmas. I heard a Pastor say that his kids came down one Christmas morning and said something along the lines of, "look how many gift santa left us". Right there he realized that he was giving the glory to a tradition. So, he explained to his kids that it was through the job God provided that he was able to buy the presents and that he worked very hard to be able to express his love for them, just as God gave His Son for us.

When I first made my decision, my family wasn't very happy, but I stood firm on what the Lord spoke to me. I always keep in mind that other people are not aware of what they are doing, as I wasn't aware during most of my life. I started celebrating the real meaning of Christmas, the birth of our Lord and Savior, and the fulfillment of the promise God gave to His people. I give presents away and I do decorate, but it all revolves around Him and the fulfillment of His promise to us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Ashley Amos

May 25, 2020
Edmonton
Visit site
✟6,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

It is the Feast of the Nativity of Jesus Christ our Lord, of course it's not a sin, it's the celebration of our Lord's birth.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alex Reynolds

Jan 18, 2021
Winchester
Visit site
✟9,676.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Independence-Party

If you take the bible very seriously, then yes.

I forget the exact line, but yes, there is a part of the bible that says "do not cut a tree and decorate it with gold and silver, a tree killed this way does no evil, nor no good, this is the way of the heathen", it is a pagan festival in celebration of nimrod (honestly look it up), the Babylonian god who built the tower of babel, it is only dressed up as a Christian festival to trick the masses, santa is an anagram for satan.

I personally still celebrate Jesus, without a tree or present giving, it is just a way to keep people poor, if you want to buy gifts get them in January when they are cheap. And focus on the nativity itself.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If you take the bible very seriously, then yes.

I forget the exact line, but yes, there is a part of the bible that says "do not cut a tree and decorate it with gold and silver, a tree killed this way does no evil, nor no good, this is the way of the heathen", it is a pagan festival in celebration of nimrod (honestly look it up), the Babylonian god who built the tower of babel, it is only dressed up as a Christian festival to trick the masses, santa is an anagram for satan.

I personally still celebrate Jesus, without a tree or present giving, it is just a way to keep people poor, if you want to buy gifts get them in January when they are cheap. And focus on the nativity itself.

That passage is from the Prophet Jeremiah, and it is against the building of asherim or "Asherah Poles". The cult of Asherah worship involved erecting carved wooden poles inlaid with precious metals.

The Christmas tree, on the other hand, was a tradition that developed in the 15th and 16th centuries in Germany.

No, it's not a celebration of Nimrod, don't believe everything you read on the internet. The Nimrod conspiracy theories you read on the internet can basically all be traced back to Alexander Hislop in the 1800's and his work "The Two Babylons". The reason that is problematic is because Hislop literally made things up. Hislop and his writings lack any credibility, because he freely and liberally makes things up. His work, and works derived from it, are utterly worthless.

Nimrod wasn't a Babylonian god.

Santa is not an anagram for Satan. Santa is derived from the Latin sanctus meaning "Holy" and is cognate with the English "saint". Look at places named by Spanish explorers. There is a city in California here in the US named Santa Monica, it means "Saint Monica" named after Monica, the mother of St. Augustine of Hippo. Santa Clause means Saint Nicholas, where "Clause" is simply a shortened form of the name Nicholas. It's derived from the Dutch Sinterklaas, again "Saint Nicholas".

St. Nicholas of Myra was a 4th century bishop from what is today modern day Turkey, he became well known, especially after he passed away as a loving Christian pastor who was compassionate toward the poor, and who is most famous for having secretly giving money to poor families.

In the Netherlands the Feast of St. Nicholas was celebrated by parents leaving a gold coin (a Dutch guilder) in the shoes of their children left in front of the door the eve of St. Nicholas Day--an homage to St. Nicholas' generosity. So St. Nicholas left a coin for children, which is the origins for Santa Claus going around leaving gifts for children. When the Dutch founded the colony of New Amsterdam in North America, they brought these traditions with them. When the English took the colony over and renamed it New York, those Dutch traditions didn't disappear, but continued. And overtime fused with English customs and traditions.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Hello,

Generally, people start traditions because there is something significant that they want to remember, however, people tend to continue to follow traditions long after anyone remembers why they were started, so if you find yourself doing that, then you should at least pause to consider whether that it is a tradition that you should continue to practice. For example, I don't think that the average person who sets up a Christmas tree could given an explanation for why they are doing that beyond it being something that they have always done. If you don't know why you are following a tradition, then you at least owe it to yourself to find an explanation because it might not be a good tradition to follow. In Deuteronomy 12:30-31, God did not want the Israelites to adopt pagan tradition and make them about worshiping him instead, so if Christmas trees are pagan in origin, then it would be a sin to do that. People debate about whether that is the case, but you should be convinced in your own mind about whether that is true. In any case, there is nothing wrong with simply celebrating the birth of Jesus without incorporating any of the traditions that have been associated with that. However, the holy days that God has commanded are all rich with meaning, and it is a sin to disobey God, so it is much more important to keep them than to be concerned with whether to follow a man-made tradition.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I find it unfathomable that someone who loves Jesus would consider the commemoration and celebration of his coming and incarnation to be sinful.

Part of that, no doubt, stems from Jeremiah 10. I don't worship trees or ornaments.

I hang a star-shaped wreath on my front door. I like Christmas trees but I want some Christian themed ornaments. I like to read about the birth of Christ to my family; however, they don't come to my house anymore.

• Winner
Upvote 0