✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello.

How did you personally become convinced that Christianity is true?

I have a hard time seeing all aspects of it to be true, also I’m greatly confused by some of it

P.S. I was writing somewhat confusing before, and too broad, I realize it. I’ll try to be more precise and clear now.
By reading Christ's words with real listening, and then also following what He said, and realizing over time all of the words prove true. So faith started (in the heart) and then grew (for the mind also).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe we as people should try to love one another & treat each other by this standard. I also know I will never be able to properly do this but need to to try in some way. This is what the Lord calls us to do ( Matthew 22:36-40, Matthew 7:1-12 etc. ). I believe God in the person of His Son is our creator and sole source of whatever good there still is in our fallen creation ( 1 Colossians 1:15-18). We need to make our efforts in living life but we need to call upon the Lord as our Savior ( Romans 10:9-13) since it is by His grace that we live by His commandments ( Romans 13:8-10, Ephesians 2:8-10). The Lord tells us to be charitable & pray ( Matthew 6:1-15).

I believe the faith as expressed in the Nicene Creed:

We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the only-begotten, begotten of the Father before all ages. Light of Light; true God of true God; begotten, not made; of one essence with the Father, by whom all things were made; who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven, and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, and became man. And He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered, and was buried. And the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead; whose Kingdom shall have no end.

Last edited:
Reactions: James_Lai
Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello.

How did you personally become convinced that Christianity is true?

I have a hard time seeing all aspects of it to be true, also I’m greatly confused by some of it.

P.S. I was writing somewhat confusing before, and too broad, I realize it. I’ll try to be more precise and clear now.
Christ will only tell you the truth. Seek Him and things will happen that will change your life. Don’t get caught up in man’s dogma if possible through prayer.

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
My uncle introduced it to me THIS WAY.
When it got to the part about MY sin nature, I knew that the rest was true.

How did you know that the rest was true? Why did you become sure it’s true information?

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
My parents were non-practicing Catholics, and therefore they did not give me a religious education, but made me attend catechism as a child. I therefore received the first religious teachings through the catechism. Since I was a child, I was very interested in religion and very early began to feel the Presence of the Lord. My religious faith is founded on prayer and the experience of God.

When you became adult, did you question any part of your faith?

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
One important thing I have learned is that what Christians claim, and what Christianity is, are two different things. I have been called "unteachable" by certain vehement believers, but I find it useful, nevertheless, to keep it in mind.

What is Christianity? What made you accept it as true?

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
God brought me to the "end" of myself, before that.
I kept running into a "brick wall" and my personal sin nature was the best explanation for that.

I grew up in a church, but they left out that critical piece of information.
(I believed in His Deity, death, burial & Resurrection, etc.,
but it was never clear to me why He did those things.)​
I called out to Him and asked Him to reveal Himself to me.
I believe that is why my uncle's message struck a chord with me, like it did.

I see. So you felt the guilt and a need of redemption. Why you took the story of the 4 laws as true?

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
From childhood I was raised in the faith. But in my college years I was more critical and explored other philosophies and religions. I came from all that wanting to believe in the love and beauty of Christianity. Nothing else has it to this degree. I have come to know and love Christ and that is the game changer.

So you researched other world views and returned to Jesus. Why you took the message of love and beauty of Christianity as true?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Keep seeking with an open mind and eventually (if you live long enough) will find Jesus... I was raised an atheist and studied every religion and philosophy I could find. After fighting against it, I gradually found the Gospel of Jesus to be the most compelling intellectually. Then I had personal revelations and experiences that brought me more fully to Christianity. What will convince you and compel you to believe, that is unique to you. I would just encourage you to keep seeking, and only part of that is asking others what their experience was. It is a very personal journey.
May God bless you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I was an atheist for years before I became a Christian. I was very sick in the hospital with asthma. So much so that the doctors and nurses couldn't break the bronchial spasm. A pastor with whom I had many arguments came to the hospital and asked if she could pray for me. She read my some Scripture -- Matthew 11:28-30 (NET) -- "“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” -- then prayed "Jesus, heal this man".

Immediately my asthma spasm broke and I was healed. Also, immediately I believed in Christ -- how could I not? The pastor gave me a KJV New Testament (which I still have), which I read non-stop for the next few days. Two days later, a Christian friend visited and asked if I had received my prayer language. I hadn't, but when I prayed for it I immediately began to "speak in tongues". That was 44 years ago, and I am still a passionate believer in Christ, God, and the Holy Spirit.

Is Christianity "true"? I'm not sure what that means. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6 NET) So, yes, Christ is the truth and Christianity is true.

Wow. So you believed after healing. I do understand it. A powerful experience.

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
seeing prophecy in the Bible being fulfilled to the exact timing as it happened in History.

prophecy is history in advance
History is prophecy fulfilled

Cyrus is an example of it

OK, I understand - you saw God’s authorship in the prophecies of the OT fulfilled by the NT?

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
God calls you to belief, and later understanding. Without God's calling you likely won't become a believer. It's a supernatural calling that can't be explained to someone who isn't called. Others will see a change in the one called but neither can explain it.

How did you personally sense the calling? How much of your own will was responsible?

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I am glad you are asking, for it shows that you are seeking for THE Truth. I think you have to decide if you can trust the Gospel. Jesus said
Matthew 7:7
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Matthew 7:8
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

I came to believe as a child. My parents were Christian, so, I was raised in the Church, attending Sunday school and participating in church activities. When I got older and learned of other beliefs, I made the decision to trust the Gospel. Now, much older and wiser, I determined that it is true that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life according to the Gospel.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

As an adult, after learning of other ideas, what kept you in the Christian faith? Was there a period of questioning, search, doubts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
By reading Christ's words with real listening, and then also following what He said, and realizing over time all of the words prove true. So faith started (in the heart) and then grew (for the mind also).

This is very interesting. So you first accepted Christ’s teaching as true, put it into practice and saw that it works? That way you became truly or more convinced in the veracity of His words?

Could you provide some examples of what you practiced and how it was proven to be true?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Christianity is true, depends on your understanding of christianity. Christianity from/of the Bible is true.
What’s your understanding? How did you become convinced it’s true and you can believe it?

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Keep seeking with an open mind and eventually (if you live long enough) will find Jesus... I was raised an atheist and studied every religion and philosophy I could find. After fighting against it, I gradually found the Gospel of Jesus to be the most compelling intellectually. Then I had personal revelations and experiences that brought me more fully to Christianity. What will convince you and compel you to believe, that is unique to you. I would just encourage you to keep seeking, and only part of that is asking others what their experience was. It is a very personal journey.
May God bless you.

Yes, each person and their journey in learning and understanding is unique.

Personal revelations and experiences for you, what were they?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
What is Christianity? What made you accept it as true?
Whatever God says, in his Word, and ALL he says, not just parts of it. (I accept the Bible, (66 books, that is), written by plenary verbal inspiration, because I can find no fault with it. It has proven true and useful to me for all I need.) Further, the Spirit of God testifies with my spirit that I belong to him, and that by the things the Bible says concerning God and the Christ. This includes (overwhelms, "swallows up"), reason, knowledge, emotion and desire. I KNOW the reason I was made.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, each person and their journey in learning and understanding is unique.

Personal revelations and experiences for you, what were they?
Hi again. This is a natural question from my response, but I'm hesitant to answer. They were very personal and probably irrelevant to your journey. I can say, they were kind and wise and came from what I can only conclude was a supernatural source. They were beyond my experiences or imagination. I pray you also find what you are seeking.

Upvote 0